Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feck

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:42am

I've been saying "feck" for years as a less offensive substitute to "the bad F word" but last week I got told off by someone for using bad language.

So what do you lot think of the word "feck?" I can guess it's more acceptable in Ireland than abroad but thought I might wage your response.

Do you consider "feck" to be bad language? 137 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    4% 6 votes
    Don't care
    95% 131 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You should've told them to go fúck themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Still don't know what it means .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

He was a fupping backstard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not at all, use it regularly. Feck off cup!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its not bad language and most people use it without being rude in any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

You should've told them to go fúck themselves.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm a bit divided on this one - I don't really think it's a bad word and wouldn't think twice about using it or when hearing others use it, but I'd still give out to my 3 year old for saying it.. I'm just a strict mammy, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

really depends on the context and the environment its used in, and i think its now being used in a differnet way compared to usally intended, used to be used more in banter or foolary, instead of the usual fcuk off, you could lower the power of the insult or more banter father jack style with feck off,

people use it still in that style but also if your concerned with using swear words, people might use feck as its less offenceve, but if its used with the same intent, thats when it can still be considered unsuitable if used it the wrong environment or around those who not aware of its use, ie, woud still consider it unprofessional if used in the work place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

mike65 wrote: »
    arse

industries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Given modern language I would consider it not bad at all. Even if it was back in the '50s or whatever. Like "frig" and many others. Time makes them normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

WTF is a "bad" word? People need to grow up a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Okay then is it considerred profanity.......

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

http://www.livevideo.com/video/04983FEB5D5943B3B00FEBC0589A3031/father-ted-feck.aspx

For feck sake , there is only one place I'd fecking listen to , Feck.
    Fecking hell, what the feck is wrong with the word , Feck?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My great aunt used it all the time and she was 93 when she died. I somehow doubt that if she had considered it bad language she would have used it so extensively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

'feck' is a great all round PG word, I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Pewpewfiah

i dont use feck so much but i do say Frick a lot more and i dont consider either bad language, and i think anyone who does should go feck themselves =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I use feck when im being polite :confused:. Never ever considered someone could take offence to it.

Even if you put on your best angry face and voice, "FECK YOU"..... not feelin' the anger...at all. Where as if i said F*ck you, you'd know exactly what i meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoMiLe

I really don't care about bad language. Luckily there was a 'don't care' option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Pewpewfiah wrote: »
    i dont use feck so much but i do say Frick a lot more
    Frick off back to America with that shyte...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I love my brick,.... feck off brick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Does it mean thief? Me no speaky the irish.

I wouldnt use it, but i'd have alot more respect for it than frick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

its not what you say... its the way you say it :)
    (hmmm ive got a joke to post if i can find it)

but seriously.
    **** is a perfectly correct english word - if used in the correct context, so you could call someone a cow for example and they could take offence from it.

for 2cents and one old half penny.

edit: that was the f word :) boardsie didnt think i was using it in the correct context ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the question to ask is, what happens when one 'fecks' a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

the question to ask is, what happens when one 'fecks' a girl

You cem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No.

Then again I don't consider anything to be bad language.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Holsten wrote: »
    No.

Then again I don't consider anything to be bad language.
    Same here.

People are too sensitive these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Same here.

People are too sensitive these days.

Personally, I hate bad language, but I wouldn't necessarily be offended by people using it. I wouldn't want to dictate how others speak, but I appreciate people who put a little more effort into conversation, or into expressing themeselves generally, without using swear words like puctuation.

Feck isn't offensive, but its not particularly interesting as a word either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Personally, I hate bad language, but I wouldn't necessarily be offended by people using it. I wouldn't want to dictate how others speak, but I appreciate people who put a little more effort into conversation, or into expressing themeselves generally, without using swear words like puctuation.

Feck isn't offensive, but its not particularly interesting as a word either.
    fúck is a great word for expressing yourself.
    It has multiple uses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

fúck is a great word for expressing yourself.
    It has multiple uses.

I think thats part of my problem with it, its so overused that its lost all impact.

Its only when a word has some kind of shock value or novelty value that it has any impact on me, and I hear that word so much I'm immune to it.

Advertisement