Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Just an update - went for the scan last Thursday and all is well. Saw our little peanut with a healthy heartbeat of 120bpm. We both nearly collapsed with the relief!!

Many thanks Lukesmom for your kind words. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I became a father this afternoon to a beautiful little girl :D

Its such a sureal feeling, ladys I dont envy you's at all.

Thanks for all the advice in this forum, some great posters here and its modded very well.

To all the gents here, enjoy every moment, its some feeling at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Congrats Dancor - that is great news! Hope the rest of us dads-to-be follow you over the next few months! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Dancor wrote: »
    I became a father this afternoon to a beautiful little girl :D

Its such a sureal feeling, ladys I dont envy you's at all.

Thanks for all the advice in this forum, some great posters here and its modded very well.

To all the gents here, enjoy every moment, its some feeling at the end of it all.

congratulations , hope to be in your shoes in around 5 weeks time , touch wood.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Best of luck lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Hey guys,

Me missus is nearly 20 weeks in and she has been in bed for the last week solid with chronic back, leg and foot pain. Doctor has given her anti inflams for it, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

We went on a trip up the country 2 weeks ago, and the Doc put it down to too much time sitting in the car damaging the muscles in the lower back which support the baby. No mention of Sciatica by him at all, but all indications that I have seen point towards it.

Any of your other halves get this problem during their terms, and how did ye cope with it? Does it get better at any stage or are we in for a torrid second half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Hey guys,

Me missus is nearly 20 weeks in and she has been in bed for the last week solid with chronic back, leg and foot pain. Doctor has given her anti inflams for it, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

We went on a trip up the country 2 weeks ago, and the Doc put it down to too much time sitting in the car damaging the muscles in the lower back which support the baby. No mention of Sciatica by him at all, but all indications that I have seen point towards it.

Any of your other halves get this problem during their terms, and how did ye cope with it? Does it get better at any stage or are we in for a torrid second half?

Halfway there now. No, it shouldn't be a torrid time for you really. I'd recommend giving your OH plenty of massages of her lower back, bum and legs. It might do wonders for her. I did this for my wife for our first and she never suffered too much so it definitely helps. Doing the same now on pregnancy number 2 and again, at 22 weeks, no sore legs, bum or back, so there must be something there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What has the hospital said about her condition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What has the hospital said about her condition?

We haven't been to the hospital about it yet, just the local family GP.

We were in a bit of a catch 22 situation there last week I wanted to take her back to the hosptial but the GP told her not to sit into a car for any length of and have complete bed rest. Not to mind that I don't think she would have been able to sit is a car seat that length of a car journey.

We are in for another scan tomorrow week, and by hook or by crook I'll get her there. Hopefully it'll have calmed down a bit by then, but I'll be bringing it up with them straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Hey all, quick update,
    Had the first scan today...nearly fell off my chair when the little fella (well could be a little girl too) popped up on the screen :P!!!!

I've seen some things in my life but this hands down beats them all...wasn't expecting him to be so big at 13 weeks...little arms and legs...whopper of a head and strong nasal cavity...hahaha...midwife reckons this is a good thing! I can only imagine the feeling when they arrive after 9 months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

hey my girlfriend is 12 weeks on monday and we where told we wont be going for scan till 16 weeks is that normal amount time and how do u deal with mood swings oh godddddddddddd lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

brilou23 wrote: »
    hey my girlfriend is 12 weeks on monday and we where told we wont be going for scan till 16 weeks is that normal amount time and how do u deal with mood swings oh godddddddddddd lol

Whatever you do, do NOT tell her "it's ok honey i know its your hormones" :D

I'm surprised my hubby isn't talking divorce yet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lesson I learned today..

Lady - Spent an hour reading during the night.. couldnt sleep
    Man - Try harder to nod off.. like dont grab the book as soon as you open your eyes..

Lady... GGRRRRAARR RRRRAAAAAARRRR etc.

brilou23 wrote: »

You dont.. They dont exist... Its your fault.. remember? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I was just looking for advice as to what test is best to check if your partner is pregnant or not (a definitive answer basically). I would be absolutely over the moon if she is but don't want to pressure her into taking the test all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

EF wrote: »
    I was just looking for advice as to what test is best to check if your partner is pregnant or not (a definitive answer basically). I would be absolutely over the moon if she is but don't want to pressure her into taking the test all the same.

You can't do much better than the digital pregnancy test- however a blood test is the only definitive test, and would normally be done on a first visit to a maternity hospital, esp. if very early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

EF wrote: »

First Response are fantastic. Test with the first mornings urine as the levels of HCG (pregnancy hormone), if present, are stronger in the morning as they get diluted throughout the day with intake of fluids.

big day tomorrow we have go back for bloods as she is 12 weeks im ****tin it lol dunno why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because there is so much you dont know and so much you feel that you dont' have any control over, but the more you educate yourself about whats going on the better it tends to get.

lol anticlimax just took blood gave some leaflets 18 weeks till she goes for a scan seems to far away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's def frustrating for you and your oh. Perhaps buy yourselves a pregnancy book and read up on the changes that take place every week until wk18. It's not a substitue for a scan but it might help you feel aware of how your little bean is growing. On the plus side you'll get some suprise when you see it at 18wks. Ours was yawning, sticking its tongue out and doing somersaults.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its definitely a good idea. My wifey advised me yesterday that our little one is now the size of a raspberry- not sure about the association, but its nice to have little milestones you can take note of.

It seems like yesterday that we were going from peanut to strawberry to orange etc..

We're certainly past that now given that she booted me in the arm this morning in bed!

Christmas day is the big day... the sight of Christmas trees is starting to freak me slightly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 D78

Hi All,

So I just found out today my wife is pregnant, first time for us both. I'm both scared and grinning at the same time. The thing is that she works one side of the country where we also have a house and I work the other end of the country. Anyone out there in similar scenario - any advise would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

This forum is great, ive spent hours reading loads of topics.

GF is now 20 weeks and seen my first scan the other day, She had seen 2 so far but id been working. Its amazing to see it. Makes it very real.

Pretty nervous at this stage. such a shame that the little one will brought into the world in such a terrible time. Hope we do the best we can.

Due on april 1st (April fools kiddo! :p) Thanks for the forum, hope to learn loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hi all,

My wife is 18 weeks with no.2. Our first is 12 so she is incredibly excited. Me? As excited as the child :D The missus is starting to show now, think sickness is behind us so dunno what to do now...

omahaid, just enjoy it and be there to help your oh when she needs it. I'm 29 weeks now and sometimes I text the hubby on the way home from work to say I'm tired and hungry so can he put the dinner on. In fairness he does alot of cooking and cleaning anyway.

Then you can start planning on getting your home ready for the new arrival. We're looking at changing things around abit to maximise space but it's nice to do all these things together especially for dad.

Oh and start putting your hands on her tummy; you should feel the kicks starting soon and that's wonderful.

Also congrats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

My wife is 15 and 1/2 weeks gone,this is our 1st , had a scan last week in the maternity in Limerick was our 1st vist so had the bloods,scan,urine etc and chat with teh doctor, very nice and friendly over there no a bad word to say and we were only there just over 2 hours which i though was great as a friend of my in cork was in for 4 hours their 1st visit,scan at 14 weeks was amazing to see the difference since week 8 (we had a private scan done to make sure all was well) to see the size difference and the baby moving around and moving their arms..well i was proud as punch,very big learning curve ahead but reading up as much as we can and talking to people who have just had babies so its very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

wife is 33 weeks now,she's alot moodier than she was on the first. :(

• Advertisement

glic83 and irelandspurs congrats!

Yes we pregnant wimmen tend to get moody at times. I was so p1ssed off yesterday, was on the brink of tears because my bus didn't go. What can u say? We've alot going on inside, most of us are constantly tired especially as we get heavier and probably have some back pain which never goes away until the babs arrives. On
    top of that the heartburn is awful. Add worries about money, the economy and the future and you could have one moody pregnant mama on your hands.

Advertisement