Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Any expectant fathers constantly buying Gaviscon?

It's been a couple years for me now, but any time I see that stuff in the shop it brings back memories....she was pregnant with twins....oh the memories :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

glic83 and irelandspurs congrats!

Yes we pregnant wimmen tend to get moody at times. I was so p1ssed off yesterday, was on the brink of tears because my bus didn't go. What can u say? We've alot going on inside, most of us are constantly tired especially as we get heavier and probably have some back pain which never goes away until the babs arrives. On
    top of that the heartburn is awful. Add worries about money, the economy and the future and you could have one moody pregnant mama on your hands.
    Ah i'll let her off lol,She's getting morning sickness still, it stopped for awhile but back last 5 weeks,her heartburn is unreal,rennies turnover has increased the amount she's buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

It's been a couple years for me now, but any time I see that stuff in the shop it brings back memories....she was pregnant with twins....oh the memories :eek:

ha ha, yep the missus is 7 and half months gone and i have a stockpile of rennies at home like you wouldnt believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Hi All,
    The wife is seven months gone now on our first. She's been brilliant all the way through it but it's getting a bit tougher for her now. I hate seeing her struggle to do 'simple' things but she is a stong minded fecker and rarely asks for help. So am trying to pre-empt her now with offers and I do my best to help her out when I can.

So far it's all been pretty incredible, the worries over the first scan and checkup, to be told everything is normal is such a relief! Feeling the baby kick and move is unreal. Our family have been very good as well helping us to prepare for our arrival, it's great to have.

There have been some trying and emotional times that go hand in hand with a pregnancy not to mention money worries etc. but it's going to be worth all the work ten times over.

Am hoping we don't have a repeat of last years weather, getting to the hospital would be a nightmare in it so fingers crossed for no snow and ice this year.

Always a bottle of gaviscon on the go as well, it's her new best friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

Oh.. my wife was hardcore.. Nothing less than a shot of flat diet 7up and beard soda for my wife!.. and lots of it!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My wife is picky- she only likes the Lemon Gaviscon. I've rang Sainsbury's Head office and got them to put all the lemon Gaviscon in the 8 branches up North aside (I got almost 130 boxes) and spent a day driving between the different branches collecting it (its less than 1/4 the price up there). The Manager of the last branch brought me into the restaurant and got me a lovely pot of tea and scones before my drive back. I think I did over 400 miles that day........ Saw lots of the North that I'd never seen- really liked the Kennedy Centre off the Falls Road, though Newtownards wasn't the easiest to find....... Hmmmm..... Thankfully my stock wasn't fully depleted last time, and is still well within date. I've since discovered Asda Pharmacy do deliveries here (handy for Calgel, Infacol and some other products that aren't on the market here.......)

Do you know- up north and in the UK- pregnant women all get Gaviscon free on the NHS.......? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

5 weeks to go here. Herself got caught in a rain shower in town and came home bawling. That and she can't find any nice clothes in the shop so that's causing hassle too. Add lack of sleep into the equation and we've a serious cocktail there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

they get a hell of a lot more stuff up the north and in the uk that we dont get under our hse

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jebus I must be lucky lol my wife is 6.5 weeks from "throw in" and she has been sound, no cravings, no gavicon, has more burbs than a caveman after a bottle of coke though! :)

Everyone just keeps saying to me, "Oh your fecked with your training, watchin any matches, having any life" etc etc.
    I am not daft I know it will change my life, for the better without doubt, but I think if I can manage my time I am sure I can find 1 hr every 2 days to do my training?? Am I really naive?

In terms of the day say the waters break, what am I in for? I know its probably a ball of panic, rush to the hospital, what then?

Another thing, she is due on 6th Jan, would it be daft for me to be at an Xmas part 3 hrs away on the 23rd of Dec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

yop wrote: »
    Jebus I must be lucky lol my wife is 6.5 weeks from "throw in" and she has been sound, no cravings, no gavicon, has more burbs than a caveman after a bottle of coke though! :)

Everyone just keeps saying to me, "Oh your fecked with your training, watchin any matches, having any life" etc etc.
    I am not daft I know it will change my life, for the better without doubt, but I think if I can manage my time I am sure I can find 1 hr every 2 days to do my training?? Am I really naive?

In terms of the day say the waters break, what am I in for? I know its probably a ball of panic, rush to the hospital, what then?

Another thing, she is due on 6th Jan, would it be daft for me to be at an Xmas part 3 hrs away on the 23rd of Dec?

Hey Yop,

Yeah, it'll change things of course, but it's important for both parents to keep doing a lot of the things that are important to them. So, make time for your training. Perhaps not for the first few weeks, but certainly after that, get back to it.
    Personally, I do my training either before Mammy and Junior wake up or else after Junior goes to sleep. This goes both ways though, so encourage your wife to go for nights out with the girls, lunches, gym, whatever her thing is. In my opinion, if a parent loses too much of their former interests and hobbies, something will eventually blow.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the party. However, don't get drunk and leave yourself unable to travel. The chances of her going into labour that day would be very small so if it was me, I'd still attend the party, stay sober and keep the phone close at hand.

Best of luck over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

I think life is still very manageable with one child. After 18 months to 2 years things calm considerably and return to some kind of normality (but never the same!)

The real game changer is your 2nd child. Looking back, having just one was quite easy actually. As soon as the ratio of children to parents increases, that's when you'll see time, hobbies, football, mates, etc, go on a downward slide.

You could avoid all this by spending less/no time with your missus and kids, but it just depends what can't of dad/partner you aspire to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think life is still very manageable with one child. After 18 months to 2 years things calm considerably and return to some kind of normality (but never the same!)

The real game changer is your 2nd child. Looking back, having just one was quite easy actually. As soon as the ratio of children to parents increases, that's when you'll see time, hobbies, football, mates, etc, go on a downward slide.

You could avoid all this by spending less/no time with your missus and kids, but it just depends what can't of dad/partner you aspire to be.

We're expecting our second child in 6 months time, and our first child is only 7 months old...... I think we're in for a scarey time!!!

smccarrick wrote: »
    We're expecting our second child in 6 months time, and our first child is only 7 months old...... I think we're in for a scarey time!!!

My 2nd child turned out be my 3rd as well - Twins :eek: There was a point where we had 3 kids under 2 and a half years of age. It wasn't scary, just f**king mental!! 3 hours sleep a night for the first 9 months! If you get free time, all you want to do is sleep or stare at a wall in silence. It's nearly two years since twins were born and it's only eased off in the last few months.

The kids are brilliant. Things get better everyday and life slowly gets easier, but I would NEVER want to go back to the bad days when twins were born. :eek: Akin to living through a war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We're expecting our first and both my OH and I love running. We've already talked about how we'll both manage it when the babs comes along. Hopefully we'll both get out twice a week for a run and once at the weekend. Obvsiously it will require himself coming home from work on time twice a week so I can get out as I'll probably be the one picking the baby up from the creche.

I think its important that we both try to keep up our active lifestyles; my OH has never been so healthy and fit so I don't want us become two lard ar5es because we have a baby to look after. We may even invest in a jogger buggy when its a bit bigger!

As for early labour; we went to an ante natal class which recommended staying at home until contractions are about 5-7 mins apart based on the idea that you live relatively close to the hospital of course. You don't want to go to hospital too early as some hospitals have active birth management policies so if you're not keeping to their schedule they'll help you along with various medical interventions. We were told to stay at home, breath through contractions, move about, use your gym ball, go for short walks if you feel like it, watch a dvd, have a bath, do whatever it takes to keep you calm because a calm mama helps the whole process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

Same here. 6 weeks to go and Mrs.P has been exceptional - touch wood! We had been thru a lot of medical issues in the past (brain surgery etc), and may be because she has been thru the worst, she has coped rather calmly with the pregnancy so far, and despite having detected with 'abdominal separation', early start in the morning and 1.5 hours train commute to work each way, back pain, she seems to be in good spirits so far, and last week she even managed to get her full driving license amongst all this commotion! :)

We are busy getting bits and pieces together for the impeding arrival, and even though I was always been with her for scans, ante-natal classes, and while choosing prams, changing unit etc, and even after getting many lovely kicks and digs from inside the belly, the reality of it all - of a new person in the family - only dawned on me last night when I saw the little baby cloths hanging on the radiator to dry. The physical presence of the little baby grows and various towels and stuff was just so different and was so shocking and so.. real!

I guess she's more mentally prepared than I am for the arrival - and I hope my mind will hurry the f*ck up and catch up with her by the time the baby arrives - I am sure the baby wouldn't want to see a shocked looking father! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Hey Yop,

I wouldn't be overly worried about the party. However, don't get drunk and leave yourself unable to travel. The chances of her going into labour that day would be very small so if it was me, I'd still attend the party, stay sober and keep the phone close at hand.

I would follow the above advice as long as you are both happy with the arrangement and your wife has someone close by she can call on just incase anythng happens. I mean she's hardly likely to have had the baby in the 3 hours it'll take you to get back but stranger things have happned.

I say this because when my mother was pregnant with my sister she was due on the 10th of December,
    My father played on a band and had not taken on any gigs for the 2 weeks before this.

on the Friday, 3 weeks before, on my Dad's last gig she felt uncomfortable and drove herself to the hospital, (40 mins away) first dropping off us other 3 monsters at my grandparents.
    And my sister was born in the early hours of the Saturday morning.
    My Father made it, and in theory she could've waited at the house for him to get back and they still would've been grand but I guess what I'm saying it's good to have a plan B.
    You probably won't even need it but you'll both feel better for having it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

Hey guys - a friend of mine in NZ has started a column since becoming a Daddy.
    Some of ye might like it

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/columns/and-baby-makes-three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 audab

I got married three months ago. Brought my wife to the doctor yesterday because she's been feeling rotten: headache, sore throat, sinusitis, nausea. She comes out and says she's got a viral infection. Also, btw, she's pregnant!

She went off the pill about 2 months ago. Her doctor said it would take about 6 months for her body to go back to normal. I thought that was grand, gives me a bit of time to save some money, should know by then if my job is safe etc. As far as we can work out, it seems to have taken about 2 weeks! :eek:

Pretty shocked at the moment. I don't think it will be real until I see a scan or something.

Still, getting loads of good advice here. Am trying to stay away from the books as I'm sure reading about potential problems will scare the bejesus out of me.

Apart from Boards and the dog, no one else knows. Will be interesting trying to cover it up over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Congratulations on the good news. I was in a similar situation to yourself...complete shock when I heard and as the baby ain't growing inside you, your kind of isolated! But then you see that scan and his/her heart pumping away. Blows your mind....will put everything into perspective.
    I told my folks after 8 weeks and it was good weight of my shoulders, might have been a bit early but needed someone to talk to.

Hope the missus is feeling better and enjoy the Christmas, feels a bit more special this year knowing you've got a third wheel on the way.:D

Hey all, Mrs. Trotter gave birth to a healthy baby girl today! Now to figure out the nappies, feeds, etc. etc.

Ive a feelin Im gonna be busy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Congratulations to ye both,hope everything goes well for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulations :)

Congrats!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Congrats!

Congrats!

Hopefully will have them home tomorrow..

What are the essentials and handy tips for what I can have done/sorted for them before they arrive!? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

3 things. Sleep, sleep and sleep.

Get some sleep, do some food shopping and clean the house.

BostonB wrote: »
    3 things. Sleep, sleep and sleep.

And sleep.

...But do clean the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ir666

yeah, cleaning the house is an excellent move.

Altough I am very weak in this department.:D

I have found that going to bed soon after junior helps alot!

The first seven weeks or so were murder:eek: but happy murder!:)

Advertisement