Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Surviving day 1 so far.. :D

Its strange.. Its tough but after a few screaming tantrums she looks up at ya all contented and ya kinda forget the screams and yer friends again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Trotter wrote: »
    Surviving day 1 so far.. :D

Its strange.. Its tough but after a few screaming tantrums she looks up at ya all contented and ya kinda forget the screams and yer friends again :D

Glad the weather didn't get in the way in the end. Congrats! Number 3 on the way for us come June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

After many weeks of intense speculation amongst friends and family, and with almost everyone putting their money on a large boy, and multiple boy name suggestions - early this morning out popped a wee little girl!

It wasn't easy on Mrs P, with pre-labour contractions on from Saturday, and show on last Sunday night, and after spending 20 hours or so in seriously intense contractions with just entonox, she finally broke down when they told her that she had only 4cm dilation after all this! She then opted for epidural, and within hours of that, and with a little encouragement, out came beautiful Maya.

Just want to mention - hats off to the staff at Drogheda OLOL. We have read a lot of horror stories about OLOL, but everyone we met were exceptionally nice and brilliantly dedicated - they went way beyond my expectations - fantastic experience over all!

And congratulations to other newly "dadyfed" boardsies - I know exactly how you feel! :D

I have had no sleep since Saturday and at this stage I am just a walking zombie on a baby-high! Bed, here I come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Congratulations to you and Mrs P and yer new bundle of joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Out waiting for scan number 2. Where we will hopefully find out the sex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Have scan number 2 later today as well, missus wants to keep sex a surprise :rolleyes:...but as she is carrying it, I don't have much of a choice.

Hope everything goes well for the two of you and the baby is healthy, we're a little nervous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Baby healthy so far but is some sort of contortionist and we couldn't make out the sex. No harm! How did you get on napapa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Scan went great! Everything where it's supposed to be and in the right proportion :D. Looks like we're on course for May 6th! Guess I'll have to crack open the piggy bank and start buying all the baby gear. Or is to early????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

good news on the scan. May 6th seems a fair bit off now, it won't in threee months time.

On the subject of buying stuff, for some bigger items like buggy and so on, now might be a good time to buy stuff in the sales, even though you won't be using it. Also there is peace in mind to having bought these things. make sure you shop around both for price but also for information; some shops will explain everything you need to know, some shops won't. its more important to get the right buggy than the best bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

When we were expecting our first baby, my strategy was to buy one new item every month that would be needed. So, the buggy one month, Moses basket the next, cot, sterilser, etc. I just found it easier on the pocket than one big expensive trip like my brother and his wife did when they were at that stage. As a father to be, it also kept me involved and feeling useful as there's not really a huge amount you can do.

A few weeks before baby is due, make sure you have supplies of nappies, cotton wool, Sudocream, bibs, a couple of vests and sleepsuits, etc. Don't go overboard on clothes as you'll probably get presents and newborns grow out of their clothes in a matter of a couple of weeks. Also, a lot of the newborn sized gear can be too small for some kids from the day they're born. Our first child was nearly 9 pounds so the Newborn size stuff didn't fit, had to go straight to 0-3 months size.

Congrats and enjoy the shopping. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Would you consider buying 2nd hand? We got our phil and teds buggy 2nd hand and saved €400. We saved €100 on the cot. Both are in excellent condition. We're buying a new car seat of course but there are some things like changing tables, bouncers etc that can be bought 2nd hand.

I found adverts.ie great for picking up 2nd hand equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Would you consider buying 2nd hand? We got our phil and teds buggy 2nd hand and saved €400. We saved €100 on the cot. Both are in excellent condition. We're buying a new car seat of course but there are some things like changing tables, bouncers etc that can be bought 2nd hand.

I found adverts.ie great for picking up 2nd hand equipment.

I'd agree. Especially for stuff like cot and moses basket. Friends and family the best source.

Any other newborn Daddys feel like their life has been turned in a heap and have constant knots in their stomach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Any other newborn Daddys feel like their life has been turned in a heap and have constant knots in their stomach?

15 weeks to go and counting down to the knots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Expand on your definition/context of "knots"?

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Expand on your definition/context of "knots"?

I just feel constantly nervous.. remember when you were a junior infant and your Mother headed off and you were left in this strange mad world and your stomach was sick with nerves and you were all over the place..

Im the junior infant. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I just found out i'll be a father tonight! Unexpected.....I don't really know what to be thinking right now!! Still trying to get my head around it!

Start sleeping now! Women don't have the 9 month luxury we have.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Start sleeping now! Women don't have the 9 month luxury we have.

Congratulations!

Thank you!

Start sleeping now!

+1. If only someone had told me this before!

Our 10 day old girl has started setting the rules in the house, and no, sleep is not in her list of priorities! Never been this sleep deprived in my life, but all that staying awake at night is immensely satisfying at the same time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

positron wrote: »
    +1. If only someone had told me this before!

Our 10 day old girl has started setting the rules in the house, and no, sleep is not in her list of priorities! Never been this sleep deprived in my life, but all that staying awake at night is immensely satisfying at the same time! :)

You're only at day 10- wait until the teething starts :D

Glad all is well.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Baby number 2 time. First visit to the Rotunda ER tho. Have just seen the nurse and thankfully all is ok. Waiting to see the doctor now... It's the waiting room that does my head in.

...glad I have an internet phone this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

10 days to go

Excited scared and excited again !

2 negative things though

Im sick of the first thing people say when they find out you got a baby on the way, ohhhhhh no more sleep for you , I swear to god if 1 more person says that ill slap them !!

and also ohhh thats the end of you holidays now

Why do people feel the need to say these things ?

Because unfortunately they're true. Most people don't heed the advice, then in 2 years time you'll probably be one those people dishing out the advice. :D

Good Luck!

dario28 wrote: »
    10 days to go

Excited scared and excited again !

2 negative things though

Im sick of the first thing people say when they find out you got a baby on the way, ohhhhhh no more sleep for you , I swear to god if 1 more person says that ill slap them !!

and also ohhh thats the end of you holidays now

I have to agree with you- to be honest.
    Of course you are not going to know what baby related fatigue really is like- until you experience it.

If people really wanted to be helpful- useful tips on how to baby proof a house, along with information on a priority list- would be far better......

Baby gates to be hung by me during the week, TV mounted on wall earlier- by god our little one didn't like the masonry drilling- but alls well that ends well......

Because unfortunately they're true. Most people don't heed the advice, then in 2 years time you'll probably be one those people dishing out the advice. :D

Good Luck!

No way !!!

My list of things not to say to or do as a parent has already started and is

1) no posting on facebook about how good your kid is sleeping or not sleeping

2) not telling potential dads how little sleep they will get

3) not telling people their weekend cycles or sporting life is over the day the baby is born

people love the negative for some reason !!

Also what did people bring into Labour, I eat alot so I was thinking of bringing a bag of food to keep me going, is that the norm ? ?

Because they can't say "QFT" in real life?

positron wrote: »
    Because they can't say "QFT" in real life?

Whats QFT ?

Whats QFT ?

Quantum field theory of course! :D
    Nah- only joking- its internet slang for 'Quoted for truth'.......
    Some people use it to say they agree with what someone else is saying. Me- I just use the 'thankyou' button.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Only 9 1/2 weeks to go (yeah, yeah, funny I know :D), and to prepare for fatherhood, I'm now without a cigarette for the last week.

Quitting after 15 years of smoking (odd month or 2 off them everyso often), coupled with the anticipation, anxiety and stress of waiting for baby to arrive is not the greatest combination.

And they say women have it hard during pregnancy :p

Advertisement