Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Congrats seamus and Cartman!

Our lad just turned 1 there a month ago, number 2 due in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

seamus wrote: »
    Funny how quickly you get into the swing of it. Hopefully bringing her home today, I'm utterly shattered but totally besotted :D
    Her Mum got her first sleep last night after 72 hours awake, she's a trooper, I'm in awe.

So true....I feel exactly the same way.

Had never really been near a baby before tbh so was a bit apprehensive but not doing too bad so far on 'Dad' duties - human nature I guess.

Mom & baby got some badly needed rest last night (and managed to get a couple of hours myself too :D) so can't wait to head back in now in a bit.

Congrats again cm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

All set for the big homecoming tomorrow - really looking forward to it and happy to report that mom & baby both doing well.

Have been at work the last couple of days which has been quite surreal - not really that focused on things but my manager & team have been very helpful and supportive. Off for 2 weeks now so can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Cartman78 wrote: »
    All set for the big homecoming tomorrow - really looking forward to it and happy to report that mom & baby both doing well.

Have been at work the last couple of days which has been quite surreal - not really that focused on things but my manager & team have been very helpful and supportive. Off for 2 weeks now so can't wait.

Hope you had a good last night before they come home. Best of luck with the home coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm right at the other end of the journey, my wife is only 7 weeks pregnant. But the early cravings have already started, and we found ourselves getting out of bed at 11:50 last night and driving to the all night McDonalds in Tallaght for a Big Mac! :) She wolfed it down and was so content afterwards, I was only too glad to be able to help!

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

jasonb wrote: »
    I'm right at the other end of the journey, my wife is only 7 weeks pregnant. But the early cravings have already started, and we found ourselves getting out of bed at 11:50 last night and driving to the all night McDonalds in Tallaght for a Big Mac! :) She wolfed it down and was so content afterwards, I was only too glad to be able to help!

J.

That's the nicest thing ever! I'm 21 weeks and can't say we've had such a pleasure yet- my fella has had to do a LOT of hair-holding though so he's earning his crust! The hair-holding/back rubbing is not to be under-estimated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

J.

Ohhhhh I'd love a big mac now :)

Major brownie points for you, will be showing my husband this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

We are 7 weeks along and no such cravings yet. She is eating a lot of fruit though. It's amazing how your instincts crave what is good for the baby. The morning sickness started last week. She hasn't been feeling great but is happy as she and I know it means everything is happening as it should. Going for our first scan on December 3rd. Very exciting

Capri86 wrote: »
    We are 7 weeks along and no such cravings yet. She is eating a lot of fruit though. It's amazing how your instincts crave what is good for the baby. The morning sickness started last week. She hasn't been feeling great but is happy as she and I know it means everything is happening as it should. Going for our first scan on December 3rd. Very exciting

My instincts at 16 weeks must be very off if I'm craving McDonald's :D:D

Enjoy the scan, first one is so exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Digs wrote: »

My instincts at 16 weeks must be very off if I'm craving McDonald's :D:D

Enjoy the scan, first one is so exciting!

I've had no cravings at all. If anything it's been more about food aversions. Couldn't look rice or Asian food in the eye for a long time!

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »

I've had no cravings at all. If anything it's been more about food aversions. Couldn't look rice or Asian food in the eye for a long time!

In fairness I am easily led :). Someone can just mention something and it sounds amazing.... Same I suppose for aversions, one wrong suggestion and I'm gagging :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Getting very close for me now , baby is due on Sunday. My other half is still full of energy , I don't know how she is keeping up she's been travelling into town , constantly cleaning , shopping and despite me trying everything to just get her to relax...it's not working =) , Time seems to be moving very slowly now just waiting for something to happen but I'd imagine we will go a little over the due date. Baby's head in engaged and everything seems fine.

It's a funny aul time in life right before the birth , in work I'm acting as if nothing huge is happening just planning for everything as if I'll be around even though at any minute I could be off for two weeks. Decided to take as much holidays as I could to help around the house and get the baby settled in as well as give herself a much needed and deserved rest...although I can't imagine she'll bet at that too long , it's amazing how much some women change when having a baby I couldn't have imagined herself being like this a year ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Getting very close for me now , baby is due on Sunday. My other half is still full of energy , I don't know how she is keeping up she's been travelling into town , constantly cleaning , shopping and despite me trying everything to just get her to relax...it's not working =) , Time seems to be moving very slowly now just waiting for something to happen but I'd imagine we will go a little over the due date. Baby's head in engaged and everything seems fine.

It's a funny aul time in life right before the birth , in work I'm acting as if nothing huge is happening just planning for everything as if I'll be around even though at any minute I could be off for two weeks. Decided to take as much holidays as I could to help around the house and get the baby settled in as well as give herself a much needed and deserved rest...although I can't imagine she'll bet at that too long , it's amazing how much some women change when having a baby I couldn't have imagined herself being like this a year ago!
    Interesting you should mention the change in yur OH, how have your women changed throufh the pregnancy (apartfrom physically!) I sometimes feelsorry for my partner, he lost that fun outgoing girl he loved and woke up with a couch potato constantly demandinf foot rubs!

Just back from our first scan. It was an early one (8 weeks and 3 days) 'cos we did IVF and the clinic brings you in early.

Thankfully, everything is fine, good size, good heartbeat. Or should I say good heartbeats, as we're having twins! :) Always knew it was a possibility with the IVF and I had my suspicions from the hormones levels they'd seen. We're both thrilled, so good to find out everything's going ok. Slightly in awe too of how much more mad it is that there's two of them. :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Scrgirl, I am the same! Pregnancy has turned me into a total couch potato!!

Jasonb, wow, congratulations!

Just back from our first scan. It was an early one (8 weeks and 3 days) 'cos we did IVF and the clinic brings you in early.

Thankfully, everything is fine, good size, good heartbeat. Or should I say good heartbeats, as we're having twins! :) Always knew it was a possibility with the IVF and I had my suspicions from the hormones levels they'd seen. We're both thrilled, so good to find out everything's going ok. Slightly in awe too of how much more mad it is that there's two of them. :)

J.

Congratulations. That's great news. Would love twins myself as I am one. Haha. Must be a great feeling knowing there is 2 !

Thanks!

It is a great feeling, but also it's more scary as well. Twice the fun, twice the worry! And it's still early days, will feel so much better when we hit 12 weeks and things are still hopefully going well. Anything I'd thought about in the last few weeks (Moses Baskets, Buggies, Car Seats, etc. as well as lack of sleep, feeds, everything really) has now doubled! :)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I just bought a dinasour costume that I am going to wear and run around the garden with chasing my son and his friends for his birthday when he will be 3. Can't wait.

I got it on ebay for about 65 euro.

Had our 2nd scan today, the clinic does a second one approx. a week later when it's twins. But we found out that one of the twins hasn't survived. They think it just stopped developing a couple of days after our first scan. Very tough to hear, obviously it's great that the other one is doing great, but it's just a horrible day...

J.

Oh that's very sad. I'm sorry to hear that. Its Great that the other one is doing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Very sorry to hear that Jason. Take care of yourself and your other half hard thing to go through i am sure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sorry to hear that jason.

Sorry to hear that :( take care of yourselves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Had our 2nd scan today, the clinic does a second one approx. a week later when it's twins. But we found out that one of the twins hasn't survived. They think it just stopped developing a couple of days after our first scan. Very tough to hear, obviously it's great that the other one is doing great, but it's just a horrible day...

J.

Sorry to hear that :( I went thru exactly same thing last yr - have gorgeous little girl now with her own special guardian angel.. And we like to think twice the personality :)
    It's an incredibly tough time filled with mixed emotions - ensure to take time to grieve ur little one even tho your still pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sorry to hear that jasonb. Take care of both our OH and yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all.

I'm a member here but going un-reg'd here as a couple of people in real life know my username and we haven't shared our news yet...

Just found out at the weekend that I'm gonna be a dad. Absolutely delighted with the news!

First scan is scheduled in a couple of weeks.

It's still very early days for us so we haven't told anyone outside of immediate family members. I'm excited, happy, giddy, nervous, worried, and anxious all at the same time!!! There's so much to think about!!

Congrats First-Timer, it's a mad feeling isn't it? :)

We're now at 12 weeks, so we're spreading the word. After the upset of losing one of the twins we're now focused on the excitement and joy of still having one baby on the way. It's good to start telling everyone and seeing how excited they all are.

We've our first appointment in The Coombe on Thursday, should be interesting! :)

J.

I must say, we'd a great first experience in The Coombe yesterday. After being very well looked after in the Fertility Clinic, I was wondering if we'd feel a little more 'unimportant' in The Coombe. But they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The mid-wife even arranged for the scan before she did the medical history, as she realised that we'd be nervous after losing one of the twins.

The scan went great, the bump is doing just fine and we got some nice pictures printed out. It's good to know it's all going well, and it's good to now be part of the 'norm' and in the system so to speak. It was all very surreal as well, it was funny catching the eye of other 'newbie' couples (you could tell us by the 'welcome pack' we all got).

Next up is the Consultant appointment in 3 weeks, and then another scan at the end of Jan, when hopefully we'll find out the sex (if the bump is facing the right way basically!). From now on I reckon we'll skip the carpark (it's small and there's a queue - one car out and one car in) and park nearby instead. We'll also look at going to the Clinic local to us instead, instead of driving in to Dublin every time.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I must say, we'd a great first experience in The Coombe yesterday. After being very well looked after in the Fertility Clinic, I was wondering if we'd feel a little more 'unimportant' in The Coombe. But they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The mid-wife even arranged for the scan before she did the medical history, as she realised that we'd be nervous after losing one of the twins.

The scan went great, the bump is doing just fine and we got some nice pictures printed out. It's good to know it's all going well, and it's good to now be part of the 'norm' and in the system so to speak. It was all very surreal as well, it was funny catching the eye of other 'newbie' couples (you could tell us by the 'welcome pack' we all got).

Next up is the Consultant appointment in 3 weeks, and then another scan at the end of Jan, when hopefully we'll find out the sex (if the bump is facing the right way basically!). From now on I reckon we'll skip the carpark (it's small and there's a queue - one car out and one car in) and park nearby instead. We'll also look at going to the Clinic local to us instead, instead of driving in to Dublin every time.

J.

Good stuff jason. Glad to hear all went well. Exciting times.

Best to park in Lidl just down from Coombe. Its free & just a 2min walk with plenty of parking. Its on the same side as the coombe but down towards city centre on your right.

• Advertisement

Excellent tip, thanks! :)

J.

Advertisement