Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

yea hubby got well fed even before me.. swear he did the hard work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

My Gf is due on March 30th with her first (my second). I felt the baby kicking the other day for the first time, I had forgotten how amazing it was.

Does anyone know how much the 3d scans are nowadays? We are going to book in for one in December to find out the sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some start from 99 euro.

Will your hospital not tell you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My Gf is due on March 30th with her first (my second). I felt the baby kicking the other day for the first time, I had forgotten how amazing it was.

Does anyone know how much the 3d scans are nowadays? We are going to book in for one in December to find out the sex.

I booked one in ultrasound dimensions in blackrock, it was €195, and for that we got a 40 minute scan, about 50 photos on a CD, a 20 minute DVD and 6 printed pictures. Worth every cent :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We found out the sex this morning. Reality is suddenly hitting home:)
    I was reluctant to start talking about names or thinking long term until the danger periods were done but all seems to be going well so we'll be discussing it for the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

January wrote: »
    Some start from 99 euro.

Will your hospital not tell you?

Our hospital doesn't do them, we don't have another scan there until mid January. It's ridiculous having to wait so long(first scan was at the start of September).

We are going to MD ultrasound in Limerick, I emailed them last week for information but still haven't received a reply.

I'd give them a ring. They've a special offer for their new Thurles office so they may extend it to the Limerick office too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

currently have a 2 year old boy in the middle of potty training and wife is 33 weeks gone with our second, so we're all go here. :)

there's a place in roselawn in blanchardstown that does early scans for anyone looking for one. my wife had a bit of a panic attack at just under 9 weeks with the first one as she said she "didn't feel pregnant any more", so we went in for the scan just to put her at ease (everything was grand).

there's also a very good spot in the plaza in swords that does the early scans and 3D scans (pics & DVD etc. included). http://www.babyscan.ie/

we've been there for both ours at 24 weeks and had a great experience both times and a nice meal in the chinese next door afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 haveyoumetted?

Me and my partner went to one of the 3d scans a few days ago and it was absolutely fantastic. It's such an amazing experience.

Although our little man was being stubborn by blocking his face, 2 cans of fizzy drink and 2 hours later we got the most perfect pictures of our little mans face.

€180 for the lot which came with lots of pictures both colored and black and white plus they confirmed the gender for us. We went to the babyscan centre in ballincollig cork if anyone is wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Going unreg as I know some people on here.
    Found out a while ago my wife is 8 weeks pregnant.
    First time around I was very excited and really into the pregnancy, but this time I'm not too sure. Maybe it's the fact that our toddler takes so much looking after I can't imagine another baby coming along too. Maybe it's because it's the second time, and the novelty (for lack of a better word) is gone.

We definitely want two kids and had planned this, but I feel slightly strange now that it's a reality. I think I was getting used to (enjoying) the world that the three of us had set up, and now it's going to change dramatically in the space of a few months.
    Friends with two or more kids have been no help at all - everyone says having two kids is more like having 10, and 1 is a walk in the park.

Any second/ third time around dads feel the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

First time posting in this section probley be one my last as well :pac:.

Girlfriend had a routine appointment with the midwife Monday morning we just assumed it be like the rest of them all is good no hassle........

Turned out she has very high blood pressure so we were told to head into the coombe straight away have it seen to. That alone was a big shock because up until now the whole pregnancy has been mostly easy for her apart from aches and pains she didnt even get any morning sickness.

So shes been in there since and we found out tonight as we taught it might turn out she has preeclampsia its moderate i mean shes only had the odd headache and blurry vision slight bit of swelling on her hands for a while today other then that she had no idea!!.

Shes 37 weeks today so they told us be sent for a scan in morning and depending on the situation the longest they leave her will be 39 weeks.

Her ma had the very same issue with her only she was born about five or six weeks early so at least this is much different.

Its all a big shock really for many reasons neither of us seen it coming so shes obviously very upset i am myself its not how she hoped or planned things but ya it rarely goes to plan anyway!.

Horrible having to leave her in there cause i no shes by herself and i know shes worried about many many things. Kinda sitting here now wondering should i be sad or happy :P.

Hopefully everything turns out fine over next few days/weeks its our first child together and first grandchild for both our parents so everyone is excited.

I just dont feel excited right now dunno if that sounds bad i think more then anything i just miss her and wish she was here. No joke i would give up a lot right now just to spend tonight with her!!.

Im also gonna miss how close we have felt the whole pregnancy and simple little things like when where asleep at night feeling him move.

Anyway i guess one way or another things are gonna change very soon it still hasn't even hit me he will be here right there in front of me before i know it!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

First time posting in this section probley be one my last as well :pac:.

Girlfriend had a routine appointment with the midwife Monday morning we just assumed it be like the rest of them all is good no hassle........

Turned out she has very high blood pressure so we were told to head into the coombe straight away have it seen to. That alone was a big shock because up until now the whole pregnancy has been mostly easy for her apart from aches and pains she didnt even get any morning sickness.

So shes been in there since and we found out tonight as we taught it might turn out she has preeclampsia its moderate i mean shes only had the odd headache and blurry vision slight bit of swelling on her hands for a while today other then that she had no idea!!.

Shes 37 weeks today so they told us be sent for a scan in morning and depending on the situation the longest they leave her will be 39 weeks.

Her ma had the very same issue with her only she was born about five or six weeks early so at least this is much different.

Its all a big shock really for many reasons neither of us seen it coming so shes obviously very upset i am myself its not how she hoped or planned things but ya it rarely goes to plan anyway!.

Horrible having to leave her in there cause i no shes by herself and i know shes worried about many many things. Kinda sitting here now wondering should i be sad or happy :P.

Hopefully everything turns out fine over next few days/weeks its our first child together and first grandchild for both our parents so everyone is excited.

I just dont feel excited right now dunno if that sounds bad i think more then anything i just miss her and wish she was here. No joke i would give up a lot right now just to spend tonight with her!!.

Im also gonna miss how close we have felt the whole pregnancy and simple little things like when where asleep at night feeling him move.

Anyway i guess one way or another things are gonna change very soon it still hasn't even hit me he will be here right there in front of me before i know it!.
    I have 2 kids under 2 years, there's almost always some sort of "problem" (a problem is usually something that they're just being ultra cautions about, not nessessarly a problem). Just remember the best place she can possibly be is in hospital. And enjoy your last few nights of sleep, and your ps4 (i'm not stalking you, honest!). In a few months time both of you probably won't even remember her going in early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cienciano wrote: »
    I have 2 kids under 2 years, there's almost always some sort of "problem" (a problem is usually something that they're just being ultra cautions about, not nessessarly a problem). Just remember the best place she can possibly be is in hospital. And enjoy your last few nights of sleep, and your ps4 (i'm not stalking you, honest!). In a few months time both of you probably won't even remember her going in early![/quote

Haha thanks :-) ah feel bit better that scan went well this morning baby is 6 pound 12 and blood flow is fine. In with her now she seems much better herself. Just gonna get her make list anything she wants me to do at home etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Same thing happend to my wife 10 weeks ago, she was kept in for one or two nights until her blood pressure settled. I was as worried as you are but believe me she is in the best place for her.

My wife wasn't let go past 37 weeks but that didnt matter as by this stage they are really safe. If they know they are going to deliver early it will more than likely be by section and they will give the baby injections for its lungs.

My daughter was born 4 pounds 2 ounces, she was small and had to go to the SCBU but she is perfect. They kept her in for 2 weeks as precaution before we got her back.

Baby is now 7 weeks old and thriving and all the issues before hand are a distant memory, like they will for you :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Lads - does anyone have any experience of their better halves having a 'sweep' done to progress things?
    We are 39 weeks gone today and at last week's hospital check up the consultant performed a sweep. Herself was in a good bit of pain after it - had trouble walking, getting up or down stairs was v painful.

Just wondering what are your (or your better halves) experiences with them?
    Have they worked (as in helped move things on) for others?

Lads - does anyone have any experience of their better halves having a 'sweep' done to progress things?
    We are 39 weeks gone today and at last week's hospital check up the consultant performed a sweep. Herself was in a good bit of pain after it - had trouble walking, getting up or down stairs was v painful.

If the cervix is favourable a sweep will ideally start labour, if not it won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

It didn't help my wife but I have heard of it helping other women

amiable wrote: »
    It didn't help my wife but I have heard of it helping other women

Thanks Amiable. That's what I'm afraid of.
    I've heard there's a 50/50 chance of the sweep helping.
    OH was confined to bed for almost 2 days after the last one, so I'm thinking the potential benefit is outweighed by the resulting pain and lack of sleep ...not to mention the mental anguish.
    I think OH being in a good place mentally and physically is too important to risk for a 50/50 chance of it speeding things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Thanks Amiable. That's what I'm afraid of.
    I've heard there's a 50/50 chance of the sweep helping.
    OH was confined to bed for almost 2 days after the last one, so I'm thinking the potential benefit is outweighed by the resulting pain and lack of sleep ...not to mention the mental anguish.
    I think OH being in a good place mentally and physically is too important to risk for a 50/50 chance of it speeding things up.

It's one of the last things you want to hear but things will happen in their own time. Time drags at this stage of the pregnancy. Try and stay busy and make sure you look after your good lady. (which I'm sure you are)
    It will all be worth it :)

amiable wrote: »
    It's one of the last things you want to hear but things will happen in their own time. Time drags at this stage of the pregnancy. Try and stay busy and make sure you look after your good lady. (which I'm sure you are)
    It will all be worth it :)

Thanks again.
    It's a big baby so that's why they are anxious to get things going as soon as possible.
    But I want to make sure that her good self is in good shape for the main event :) (feeling a bit like a trainer prepping a player for a championship final!) & sweep was just taking too much out of her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my oh Is a week over. back in the rotunda tomorrow but they said they'd plan to induce her on Saturday if nnothing happens y then. the waiting is killing me. don't remember it being so bad 3,years ago...but that was a long time ago and memory can fail :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

my oh Is a week over. back in the rotunda tomorrow but they said they'd plan to induce her on Saturday if nnothing happens y then. the waiting is killing me. don't remember it being so bad 3,years ago...but that was a long time ago and memory can fail :)

Memory failing is what my mother blamed having 6 babies on:)

Baby Lily Bridget born at 5:37pm on Friday the 6th December (almost 2 weeks early) at the rotunda, weighing in at 7lb12.5oz. Mum and baby doing very well, hopefully home today. :)

Our second was born last night after wife being induced at 10am and waters broken by Dr at 6.wife was in since Wednesday.
    Weighed in at 10 lbs 10 1/2 compared to our first who was 7 lb 5
    Junior had to go to neo natal with low oxygen levels but is doin g grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

vibe666 wrote: »
    Baby Lily Bridget born at 5:37pm on Friday the 6th December (almost 2 weeks early) at the rotunda, weighing in at 7lb12.5oz. Mum and baby doing very well, hopefully home today. :)

We probably passed each other in a daze around the corridors at some stage, our second arrived there the day before, congrats.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    We probably passed each other in a daze around the corridors at some stage, our second arrived there the day before, congrats.
    Just home now today, was wandering around the lilly suite over the weekend, so probably did bump into you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

so my wife miscarried 3 months ago, we were sad

This morning she left a surprise for me in the bathroom...two lines :)

I am happier than a pig in ****e...and quietly optimistic

so my wife miscarried 3 months ago, we were sad

This morning she left a surprise for me in the bathroom...two lines :)

I am happier than a pig in ****e...and quietly optimistic
    congrats. my wife miscarried last year and I'm now suffering sleep deprivation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Wife has the 10 week scan/checkup next week, after which we intend to let friends and relatives in on our news, assuming everything is OK. This is our first so we don't reallly know what we've let ourselves in for as yet...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Congratulations SuperS. Telling people is one of the best parts. Hope all goes well with the scan. The time flies in, seems like only yesterday when we first broke the news but now we have less than 9 weeks to go:eek:

Advertisement