Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Murphy, probably a bit hard to say right now if it's a good idea or not. Depends on how the mother is coping, the child is coping, is it one night you're away for or two? Does she have any family support nearby? Whenever I go away for a night her sister comes over and they have grey's anatomy marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

One night would probably be fine, I definitely think any more would be too much, in my own opinion!

You have to remember that she could go up to two weeks past the due date, so the baby might be only a week old.

I certainly wouldn't make a definite commitment to going. Because it really does depend on how things are at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Been invited to a stag 3 weeks after our baby is due. What our peoples opinions on this, too soon?

went on a stags to spain 3 months after our 2nd kid was born. too soon, wasnt in the humour, knackered tired over there and had to listen to the lads with no kids moan because i wouldn't stay out all night haha.. they have kids now and are worse than i was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Calhoun wrote: »
    Are you actually against it ? or just not arsed because your both not religious? It is a barrier to entry to some schools as you are aware if your in a area with dense population and few schools. The child might feel left out if it is a religious ethos school but they can make it at the time, my brother got baptised when he was 6.

I would maybe recommend a naming ceremony even if you don't do it after the baby is born as putting the religious stuff aside the baptism is good for the wider family to be introduced and welcome the baby.

Myself I would say I'm against it but believe everyone has there right to believe in what they like and should my child choose to be religious and be Muslim, Jewish,Catholic etc then I'll support them fully. Herself isn't arsed with religion but has the thing with schools and I think sure it's the thing to do regardless of beliefs like a lot of Irish have.

The naming ceremony is something I would like to do and does sound like a great idea.

Cheers for all the input always good to hear different perspectives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Been invited to a stag 3 weeks after our baby is due. What our peoples opinions on this, too soon?

Depends on your partner- but I think you'd be nuts to go on it. Aside from anything else, you'll be knackered, you won't enjoy it, and your heart and soul will be at home with your partner and new born.

Personally I wouldn't dream of it- perhaps others may have different opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 R.P.McMurphy

One night would probably be fine, I definitely think any more would be too much, in my own opinion!

You have to remember that she could go up to two weeks past the due date, so the baby might be only a week old.

I certainly wouldn't make a definite commitment to going. Because it really does depend on how things are at the time.

Yeah well I was half thinking about booking the flights and seeing, I would imagine chances of me going are quite slim though due to the reasons already listed, tiredness, not wanting to be away from the baby, potential late birth etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

For me if it was a foreign stag then no but if it was in Ireland then yes probably.

Depends on your partner- but I think you'd be nuts to go on it. Aside from anything else, you'll be knackered, you won't enjoy it, and your heart and soul will be at home with your partner and new born.

Personally I wouldn't dream of it- perhaps others may have different opinions.

Well I wouldn't go too far, I wouldn't rule it out altogether, I mean the father absolutely needs his own social life and his own time to himself too! :)

I've a three week old and would have no problem with his daddy going off for a stag night, however I would not be OK with him going off to say a foreign country for a couple of nights! When they're so small, the hours and days go on forever. I'd be too worried about something happening, the baby getting sick etc, when they were so far away.

As for a night out in town - absolutely fine. :) Good for him to get a break from feed and nappies, and good for me to have some time alone with the baby and a bit of independence etc!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Reality hitting home now. Put up a crib over the weekend and assembled/repaired a changing table we got from my sister. We have purchased a load of baby wipes and nappies and are waiting on a call from the shop to tell us the pram and travel system is in.
    So I think we are ready if junior makes an early exit:)

Really looking forward to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Reality hitting home now. Put up a crib over the weekend and assembled/repaired a changing table we got from my sister. We have purchased a load of baby wipes and nappies and are waiting on a call from the shop to tell us the pram and travel system is in.
    So I think we are ready if junior makes an early exit:)

Really looking forward to it now.

You're never ready :)
    Check out Amazon subscribe and save for wipes and nappies. I find it handy to order monthly and get a discount you can change the order whenever you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

You're never ready :)
    Check out Amazon subscribe and save for wipes and nappies. I find it handy to order monthly and get a discount you can change the order whenever you want

been wondering about the subscription stuff on amazon. Do you not get shafted on delivery charges? I'm thinking we might just stick with aldi nappies, assuming the nipper doesn't have any issues with them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was in England last weekend and bought 4 boxes of 12 wipes for £9 each in ASDA. €20 here for the same thing. So I think we are good for wipes until at least new years :pac:
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm thinking we might just stick with aldi nappies, assuming the nipper doesn't have any issues with them

We will definitely be trying the LIDL nappies to see if they are any good. Have 2 packs of pampers to get a baseline on quality and will be working from there. Cheaper the better as long as they work ok for junior.
    A suggestion I have heard is to give the baby a break at some stage during the day with no nappy. Apparently it allows the skin to breath and helps with nappy rash etc. A waterproof mat might be a good investment.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was in England last weekend and bought 4 boxes of 12 wipes for £9 each in ASDA. €20 here for the same thing. So I think we are good for wipes until at least new years :pac:

We will definitely be trying the LIDL nappies to see if they are any good. Have 2 packs of pampers to get a baseline on quality and will be working from there. Cheaper the better as long as they work ok for junior.
    A suggestion I have heard is to give the baby a break at some stage during the day with no nappy. Apparently it allows the skin to breath and helps with nappy rash etc. A waterproof mat might be a good investment.

I find aldi are better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tesco nappies are brilliant too.

Pawwed Rig - 48 packs of wipes will last you a good while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Hi folks, quick question. My wife went to the dr today about being pregnant- the test said 1-2 weeks. The dr said they no longer do any testing until the 12 week scan. Is this normal.

I find it unusual that she can set a date for birth without checking anything.

Any advice would be great.

Hi folks, quick question. My wife went to the dr today about being pregnant- the test said 1-2 weeks. The dr said they no longer do any testing until the 12 week scan. Is this normal.

I find it unusual that she can set a date for birth without checking anything.

Any advice would be great.

They use the first day of your last period to date you until you get your first scan, they may change the date then if the baby is measuring bigger/smaller. There are really no other tests that need to be done before the twelve week mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Thanks for that, I thought they would at least do the normal tests in the gp office to make sure she is pregnant before booking a scan.

The home tests are as good as the ones the GPs do these days. If they say positive then you are probably good to go.

Thanks for that, I thought they would at least do the normal tests in the gp office to make sure she is pregnant before booking a scan.

As Pawwed Rig said the home tests are just as sensitive (sometimes more sensitive) than the tests the doctors use. Once HCG is detected by a home pregnancy test she is definitely pregnant. Blood tests are not necessary so early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭chefwes

Hi folks first time poster here I'm Wes a dad to 11 month old baby Isabelle our first :) il admit its a scary place to be but I wouldn't change it for the world haha on the nappy note pampers are awful nappys and dunnes smell to chemically so I'd say also is your best bet they never leak on us and are great value and Tesco wipes are fantastic , we go through an unholy amount of them so the price of them makes it perfect. We actually have 2 packs of size 1 also nappies here so if anybody wants them to get started just pop me a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭chefwes

Sorry I meant to say ALDI nappies

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Something terrible happened earlier.

I came in from work and as usual was playing with my 7 month old. I usually take her with me when I go upstairs to get changed out of the work clothes, as I won't have seen her all day. Then we lie on the bed and play for a while before mammy calls us for dinner.

So she was sitting in the middle of my bed playing with a sock as I was grabbing a t-shirt from the wardrobe.

Just as I turned I saw her crawling off the far side of the bed.

I was shouting & screaming and trying to get to her but I didn't make it in time. I got around to her just as she went head first down on to the floor.

I got such a fright & a shock. She was OK afterwards. She only cried for a minute, her movement & everything is fine and she had her dinner too. She was her usual self all evening so no major damage.... But fook me was it scary. Still feel like sh1t for putting her in that position!

tempnam wrote: »

I came in from work and as usual was playing with my 7 month old. I usually take her with me when I go upstairs to get changed out of the work clothes, as I won't have seen her all day. Then we lie on the bed and play for a while before mammy calls us for dinner.

So she was sitting in the middle of my bed playing with a sock and I was grabbing a t-shirt.

I was shouting & screaming and trying to get to her but I didn't make it in time. I got around to her just as she went head first down on to the floor.

I got such a fright & a shock. She was OK afterwards. She only cried for a minute, her movement & everything is fine and she had her dinner too. She was her usual self all evening so no major damage.... But fook me was it scary. Still feel like sh1t for putting her in that position!

Ah god it's awful.

It happened me, with my six-month-old sister, I was fifteen at the time. But I was more like a mammy than a sister to her, did most of the feeds, nappies, etc.

Then one day, I had her up on a single bed, turned away for a minute, and BUMP! She was head-first on the wooden floor, and screaming crying.

I was sure I'd "broken" her. :o She's twelve now, and one of the smartest kids in her year ... I think she's OK!

It's made me super-paranoid now though with my own baby ... I won't leave him on his changing table alone for even a second ... even though he's only six weeks old!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Ah god it's awful.

It happened me, with my six-month-old sister, I was fifteen at the time. But I was more like a mammy than a sister to her, did most of the feeds, nappies, etc.

Then one day, I had her up on a single bed, turned away for a minute, and BUMP! She was head-first on the wooden floor, and screaming crying.

I was sure I'd "broken" her. :o She's twelve now, and one of the smartest kids in her year ... I think she's OK!

It's made me super-paranoid now though with my own baby ... I won't leave him on his changing table alone for even a second ... even though he's only six weeks old!

Yeah. The scary thing though is that was our routine when I'd come home from work - pay & cuddles and then she would sit in the middle of the bed till I got changed. She's so active though now (crawling & pulling herself up on things) that we can't turn away for a second!!

Yeah. The scary thing though is that was our routine when I'd come home from work - pay & cuddles and then she would sit in the middle of the bed till I got changed. She's so active though now (crawling & pulling herself up on things) that we can't turn away for a second!!

That's the thing, you just never know when that day will be, when they'll all of a sudden roll over for the first time or start crawling or whatever! So you can't take any chances.

So she was sitting in the middle of my bed playing with a sock as I was grabbing a t-shirt from the wardrobe.

My son flipped off a bench in the swimming pool onto tiles and survived. The Dr told us that the bones in the head have bouncability until they fuse together do a fall doesn't have the repercussions as for an older child.

It happens all kids at some stage guys. Don't beat yourselves up about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Aw, I'd say you got an awful shock - you're probably in more need of medical attention than her! You can still have your routine, just alter it slightly - have you got a playmat that you can put on the floor, and put loads of toys around her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It has happened to me too.. In middle of bed one minute and head first into the floor the next. At the time you feel like ****..you've been so careful and protective and then this happens. But it happens to us all at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

We have a 2 yr old and a new baby arrived 2 weeks ago. 2 yr old has not taken at all to the new baby. For example last night before 2 yr old went to bed I put him near baby and he kissed and gently touched his head..then all of a sudden while touching head 2 yr old grabed babys face and nearly gouged his eyes out. I was horrified and it wasn't first time yesterday. He seems to be getting more and more aggressive. And not just to baby, he bites and scratches me and wife. We try to distract him. Wife finds it very difficult and gets emotional after. Just curious if anyone else had similar experience and how they dealt with it?

Advertisement