Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

there are people who have been trying for years but have been unable to get pregnant. Give it a few ovulating periods, if you have no success or any other concerns then your GP can make recomendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    there are people who have been trying for years but have been unable to get pregnant. Give it a few ovulating periods, if you have no success or any other concerns then your GP can make recomendations

Yeah this is my thinking, also I read that you need to give at least 48hrs between sexual activity so this may have a been a factor in not conceiving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

bear1 wrote: »
    Cheers, sorry about clogging up this one then :)

No problem at all, this is the only real 'mens thread' so keep posting away here if you like. It can be daunting for men to post about stuff like this so post wherever you feel comfortable, just the ladies over in the TTC forum are brilliant with their advice so they may have some tips for you/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liam1

what can say about this whole bun in the oven thing WTF. how am i going to this all. i am married and i love my wife but the last couple of , mouths is like kill me now kind of thing, its been a difficult pregnancy. i know more about babies than my wife and all this make me feel bad need help please before i lose my mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

liam1 wrote: »
    what can say about this whole bun in the oven thing WTF. how am i going to this all. i am married and i love my wife but the last couple of , mouths is like kill me now kind of thing, its been a difficult pregnancy. i know more about babies than my wife and all this make me feel bad need help please before i lose my mind

What exactly is the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Twins first time around. Feck thats harsh! But you'll be fine....

Harsh or just plain happy to be having them. Depends what way you look at it I suppose. Looking forward to it and have nothing to compare it to so won't know how much tougher it may be vs. having just one! We will be fine of course!

Sorry for the ramble lads.. its not really a problem.. just overwhelmed. its just my OH has been in and out of hospital recently and i'm v worried about her and the baby. And then once the baby arrives (this is our first) i'm worried how we'll cope with everything. Any advice, does it get easier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

liam1 wrote: »
    Sorry for the ramble lads.. its not really a problem.. just overwhelmed. its just my OH has been in and out of hospital recently and i'm v worried about her and the baby. And then once the baby arrives (this is our first) i'm worried how we'll cope with everything. Any advice, does it get easier?

How is it hard? I know its a shock and all but this should be a time for celebration. Once you get used to the idea hopefully you will see this, how does your otherhalf feel?

I know its probably not the most ideal time but hopefully once all checks out (as long as there are no underline issues things should be fine.

Its a big adjustment when baby is born but depending on how you look at it, it will be the best thing that you ever do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi Liam

Just take things one step at a time. First priority is getting safely across the line. The medical care for maternity here is pretty good so hopefully all will go well for you and your wife.
    You will cope.
    You maybe both be tired, you may both be snappy, might have milk problems, sleep issues etc etc etc. You will get through it.

Then 6-7 weeks after the birth you will be playing with your baby and (s)he will give you a big grin and all the hassle will have been worth it.

Our little lad is 11 weeks old now and he is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. I can't wait until he starts giggling and crawling about the place.

Advice - take help when it is offered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Had the first scan today at 8 weeks. It's very cool seeing inside someone elses body. I was relieved when I saw everything in it's right place but I didn't feel any real emotion until I heard the heartbeat pulsing like a little steam engine at 171bpm.

Accidentally going into the fertility clinic and saying we had an appointment was a bit embarrassing. And we're still trying to figure out which corner of the womb is the naughty spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

bear1 wrote: »
    First time I'm posting in this forum as I'm looking for some advice.
    I'm married now just over a year and we are in the process of buying our own home. Our financial situation is comfortable so we've decided on trying for a baby.
    She was ovulating last week so within that tiny period we did the business. Immediately afterwards she began getting pains which lasted a few days after which a test was done and came back negative.
    Now her pains seem to be turning into period pains and we start all over again.
    Has anyone here had a few misses before actually getting pregnant? We've tried a few times and nothing is happening so we are worried there is a problem with us.
    Thanks for reading :(

Average time to conceive is 9 months according the the WHO and depends on mother's age and a load of other factors. Trying half-heartedly for a few month isn't the most reliable method. My advice is to use a fertility calendar. Admittedly my girlfriend became pregnant after 2 months of dedicated trying, but we tried half-heartedly for a few months before that with no success. If you're going to get it right, time the fertility window accurately and set aside the time to do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Killerz wrote: »
    Harsh or just plain happy to be having them. Depends what way you look at it I suppose. Looking forward to it and have nothing to compare it to so won't know how much tougher it may be vs. having just one! We will be fine of course!

You'll be mighty fine!
    As you said if this is your first time out thorn you'll know no different. Two little babies will be fabulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Killerz wrote: »

The first year flies by.. Anyone I know who has twins say it's not as hard as expected.. In my head its way too easy to spoil 1 child but twins help each other.. I said I couldn't do twins but now wish my little guy and girl were twins.. But there's 12 months between them and can be tough at first but 4 weeks in we're flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah shiite

damnit_zps583f08fb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

You sense the difficulty involved in pushing that very large object through that very small space?

I feel your pain. And more. Much more!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lovely cot. Smart thinking putting junior outside the bedroom. Wish I thought of that :):)

Hate that...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd prefer twins first time! My brother had twins when his first was around 2. He calls that first year with the 3 of them the "Year of hell". Says he doesn't even remember most of it due to sleep deprivation and just blocking it out! Another friend had twins first time and said while it was tough going they didn't know any better so not too bad, when child number 3 came along it was a breeze for them!

We've 14 months between our two- who are now 3 and 4.
    The sleep deprivation is something that no-one can describe in words- its quite amazing that we manage to function as people, yet somehow you do cope. I joke that lots of strong coffee helps- truth be told- you learn to power nap for a few minutes here, a few minutes there- that, and actually being around two little happy bundles of energy, makes it all worth while.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I did the very same, on the same landing. You'll never make that mistake again!

beertons wrote: »
    I did the very same, on the same landing. You'll never make that mistake again!

:pac: I sure won't be. There's only a fraction in it :(.

Worst bit is the girlfriend didn't know the cot was arriving today kept it a secret from her plan was to have it all together and suprise her with it, now she be coming home to find it stuck on the landing :pac:.

• Advertisement

What time is she home at? Want me to fly over?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

:pac: I sure won't be. There's only a fraction in it :(.

Worst bit is the girlfriend didn't know the cot was arriving today kept it a secret from her plan was to have it all together and suprise her with it, now she be coming home to find it stuck on the landing :pac:.

In all honesty- you'll take it apart and put it back together again- 10 times faster than it took you to do it the first time- hand over heart.

I think most of us have been caught in a similar situation- you'd be surprised :o

What time is she home at? Want me to fly over?

Cheers much appreciate the offer, she be home in about 5 minutes plus I was only going to put it into the babies room and have it together to show her the room all done, but for the first few months the cot will be in our room and we haven't even decided were to put it in there yet.

Was really only putting it into the babies room for now and as something nice to suprise the girlfriend with :o.

Really appreciate yea offering though next time definitely :).

Leave that in there. Get a co sleeper for your room. It has a removable side, which goes up by her side of the bed, and if baby is going on the boob, can be slid in, then back out, and she won't do her back in getting up and out, lifting and dropping. Much smaller and mobile.

Leave that in there. Get a co sleeper for your room. It has a removable side, which goes up by her side of the bed, and if baby is going on the boob, can be slid in, then back out, and she won't do her back in getting up and out, lifting and dropping. Much smaller and mobile.

Won't lie haven't heard of one of them but that sounds brilliant. Any recommendations on one to buy or were to buy one?

No idea. We got ours in Murphy's in rathcoole, sold it on one of those pregnant forums for more than we paid for. Jeez, it was the job. Murphy's is closed now though.

Won't lie haven't heard of one of them but that sounds brilliant. Any recommendations on one to buy or were to buy one?

http://www.littledreamers.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=75_242

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ha nearly made the exact same mistake myself. Will have to dismantle and reassemble now every time we want to move it anywhere else in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Definitely this! I had a cradle first time around but will be going for the co-sleeper next time. Adverts.ie is a great place for sourcing stuff like this btw!

• Advertisement

well lads the day had come when my baby girl had to come out and see the world,baby orla was born at 9:45 on Tuesday morin weighting 6lbs 11ozs never thought it would so cool to hold my little girl

Advertisement