Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tell her to enjoy the boredom while she has it. She won't feel that emotion again for some years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Tell her to enjoy the boredom while she has it. She won't feel that emotion again for some years

Meh 5 weeks into parenting I've had plenty of boring moments or days, sitting around the house with a small baby leaves great gaps for nail painting, baking, fecking about on the internet while they're asleep :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Yeah in fairness most newborns sleep most of the time when they're not feeding. It's when they get walking the chaos really begins!

Any update robinph? :) Best of luck with it all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well maybe it is just the fathers that suffer it then as they have to be on their game in work all day and then deal with waking babies at night so getting enough sleep can be difficult. No time to sit around painting nails. Who would have thought that mothers had is so easy??? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yeah in fairness most newborns sleep most of the time when they're not feeding. It's when they get walking the chaos really begins!

Any update robinph? :) Best of luck with it all!

Not yet. Going for a second stretch and sweep this afternoon, so could be kicking off today with any luck. If not then they will be inducing next Tuesday which is the official due date. Good to know that something will definitely be happening next week, but we are ready now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

DUBACC wrote: »
    Had our 12 week scan today and there was junior jumping around like a mad thing. Both of us just bawled! Doc must have thought we were nuts!

Well we are still hanging in there. 36 week growth scan next Monday so all well so far. Still scared that something will go wrong even at this stage. I'm amazed at how badly scarred we are after losing two but it's human nature I suppose! Not even bought anything for the new baby 'just in case'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well we are still hanging in there. 36 week growth scan next Monday so all well so far. Still scared that something will go wrong even at this stage. I'm amazed at how badly scarred we are after losing two but it's human nature I suppose! Not even bought anything for the new baby 'just in case'.

Best of luck, there is nothing in the world that prepares you for the arrival of your first. When they grip your finger with their tiny hand or just lay there, a little person that you made(with a little help from herself), it's quite something :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Best of luck, there is nothing in the world that prepares you for the arrival of your first. When they grip your finger with their tiny hand or just lay there, a little person that you made(with a little help from herself), it's quite something :)

Cheers, yeah i remember on our first i was just stunned holding her wondering what the hell am i supposed to do with this little bundle! That pregnancy was so straight-forward and we were almost blase about the whole thing. Losing pregnancies after that has jolted us out of it and makes you realise that everything does not always work. As marco-polo above is finding out, you are so scared next time around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now checked into the hospital to be induced. Just a waiting game now. Hope that the phone battery lasts the distance as this could be a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

robinph wrote: »
    Now checked into the hospital to be induced. Just a waiting game now. Hope that the phone battery lasts the distance as this could be a few days.

Did you not bring a charger, or surely you'll be going home at some stage if it takes a few days??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Glad to see from FB everything went well robin :)

Had our first trip around several stores to look at baby stuff yesterday, somewhat overwhealing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Expectant Dad here, baby due 10th Jan, had our first scan on Friday morning, everything went well, 8w7d at the moment. It was pretty cool seeing the heart beat and the tiny arms and legs starting to grow.

OH is doing ok, bit of morning sickness etc, yesterday was her worst day so far, vomited near the whole day!

Got a book called Fatherhood, which is okay, bit of a lads book but I suppose enough the man needs to know about.

Glad to see from FB everything went well robin :)

Had our first trip around several stores to look at baby stuff yesterday, somewhat overwhealing..
    We were called in to be induced at 40 weeks due to slight increase in risks with older mothers. It took about 36 hours from when we arrived at the hospital and the second course of stronger drugs to try and start labour before anything actually happened that the midwifes were interested in and the waters broke. Things then moved exceedingly fast, we got moved to the delivery suite, she was plugged up to a bunch more monitors, and I was shown where the coffee dock was.
    One of the monitors was then showing something that the midwife didn't like about the baby's heart rate variations, so she hit her panic button and before I knew what was going on there were another 10 people in the room all doing different things. They rushed through a couple of fetal blood tests and seconds later there was a consent form for surgery being thrust in her face mid contraction.
    Then being rushed through some more doors to the theatre, an anaesthetist barking orders to people as he struggled to get what he needed done safely through an awkward back, lots more people appearing, screens being put up, me being terrified but trying to remain calm, hoping that I didn't have a diabetic hypo now, and then within 30 minutes of the call being made that something wasn't right our daughter was born.

All perfectly healthy, just a very sore and slightly mobility compromised wife due to the emergency section. It was a terrifying position to be in, but the end result is fantastic. I'm totally in awe of the efficiency of the hospital staff and how quick things happened when they decided something needed to be done.

I was exhausted and terrified reading that robin, but delighted for you both! That little bundle is worth all the stress!!

We are due in at end of next week for a C section as baba refusing to turn. Not sure how I feel about it, suppose partly happy it's all arranged with no mad dash to holles St like last time! Herself not so keen understandably.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Mc Love wrote: »
    Expectant Dad here, baby due 10th Jan, had our first scan on Friday morning, everything went well, 8w7d at the moment. It was pretty cool seeing the heart beat and the tiny arms and legs starting to grow.

OH is doing ok, bit of morning sickness etc, yesterday was her worst day so far, vomited near the whole day!

Got a book called Fatherhood, which is okay, bit of a lads book but I suppose enough the man needs to know about.

8w 7d.... isn't that 9 weeks then???

Haha yep meant to say 5 doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Little trickster came three weeks early. Beautiful baby daughter born today. Our first.

Emotions are all over the place.

Little trickster came three weeks early. Beautiful baby daughter born today. Our first.

Congrats mate, it's one hell of a feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Congrats

Didn't think I'd be back here so soon our little one was born last August and it's been brilliant watching her grow since, our second is due Oct 4 this year. Irish twins for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

The missus is in early labour with our first now in hospital.
    it's going to be a long day by the looks of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Early labour stoped last Tuesday and we had to wait till sat before baby decided to try again although very slowly she was brought to delivery sweet at 6am and at 9.08PM she delivered our baby boy. 15 hours later!!!

The night staff changed over at 8am sat morn and some was back at 8pm sat night and could not belive we were still there.

It was well worth it both are doing great and the staff in the delivery suite in routunda were absolutely amazing.

Mammy and baby being discharged today so looking forward to getting them home and starting this new chapter of our lives

Good to hear all is well! sounds like a right workload!

We are due in at end of next week for a C section as baba refusing to turn. Not sure how I feel about it, suppose partly happy it's all arranged with no mad dash to holles St like last time! Herself not so keen understandably.

Our latest arrived yesterday in the wee hours only a day late. Absolutely delighted after our long journey. Little chap looks perfect! Little messer had turned last minute so section was cancelled.

To all the couples struggling with miscarriage and long term ttc, we are proof that hanging in there and hoping and longing for a baba really can pay off. 4 years waiting for this day and it feels great.

Had our first Hospital scan today in Limerick! Man that place is like a sauna! Everything checked out ok and it only took like 3 hours! Baby even jumped in the middle of the scan, was quite cool!

Finding a male jacks in the Coombe was surprisingly difficult without asking someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dónal wrote: »
    Finding a male jacks in the Coombe was surprisingly difficult without asking someone

There is only 1 in the rotunda. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

And just one in Holles St. And by one, I mean one bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My wife was in there for 3 days up near the top and always wondered why it took me twenty minutes to go to the loo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Starting to think about names in our house [not due till November], what a process, no pressure :)

So many names ruled out due to folks we know having used them, many names ruled out due to "..oh no, I knew someone with that name and she/he was a gobsh1te.." :D

Also, we had a short wait for our 20 week scan in the Coombe, I went for a stroll around the place. The notice boards are an experience, to say the least. So many folks with very serious issues, makes you realise how well we are doing in the grand scheme of things. [Not going into details, very much on purpose, as clearly there are a lot of real people with these very real problems]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

So the wife is expecting in January so thought I'd check in here. Hello all!

Advertisement