Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Toots wrote: »
    Oh no! I hope everything's ok!

She's complaining of pain in her lower stomach.

A man and his child were allowed in to the E.R with no hesitation.

The wife is on the warpath now thinking I'll be booted out.

I could nearly do a running commentary here, they are trying to stop men going in with the women but allowing women in with the women no hesitation at all.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Depends who is working perhaps. Hopefully it's just stretching pains from it being twins as opposed to a single pregnancy. I remember being quite shocked first time around to discover that my expanding uterus actually caused pain.

Depends who is working perhaps. Hopefully it's just stretching pains from it being twins as opposed to a single pregnancy. I remember being quite shocked first time around to discover that my expanding uterus actually caused pain.

Here's hoping.

I reckon that's all it is.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Still feckin scary though. Especially in the early days. Every twinge is like "oh Jesus somethings wrong!"

• Advertisement

Still feckin scary though. Especially in the early days. Every twinge is like "oh Jesus somethings wrong!"

Sure enough they tried to stop me.

She had a kidney infection and that might be the root cause

All is well following last night thank god.

In relation to my earlier post, and I find this morally wrong, a lady and 2 gentlemen who were also in the E.R last night that had a child with them were still present when we left at 1am.

The child was no more than 18 months and was sleeping on a chair in the room.

All myself and the wife could do is look on in disbelief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

What could the staff do though if there were more serious cases in? They cant see a non serious child over an adult that needs more urgent care. I am assuming that was the case anyway.

Its just the way it is, you are seen when you arrive and prioritised based on severity. Thats the way it is in Galway anyway.

lashes34 wrote: »
    What could the staff do though if there were more serious cases in? They cant see a non serious child over an adult that needs more urgent care. I am assuming that was the case anyway.

Its just the way it is, you are seen when you arrive and prioritised based on severity. Thats the way it is in Galway anyway.

There was 2 men there throughout though, only 1 can be the father.

It's hardly a place for a toddler to be, especially at such an hour.

In relation to what priority cases, yes there were plenty of those that came in, i admire the work they do under such pressure, last night was the first time i've seen them understaffed.

Sorry I misunderstood, thought the child was the patient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There was 2 men there throughout though, only 1 can be the father.

It's hardly a place for a toddler to be, especially at such an hour.
    Could be all sorts of scenarios, but how about dad is the patient, his mate is the only one who drives, partner won't leave patient in the hospital or the toddler with the mate back at home. Therefore they are all stuck there for the duration.

robinph wrote: »
    Could be all sorts of scenarios, but how about dad is the patient, his mate is the only one who drives, partner won't leave patient in the hospital or the toddler with the mate back at home. Therefore they are all stuck there for the duration.

The dad is the patient in a maternity hospital? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The dad is the patient in a maternity hospital? :confused:

Thought you were just in an A&E dept.

Thought you were just in an A&E dept.

No no, the maternity hospital here is seperate from the main hospital itself.

No no, the maternity hospital here is seperate from the main hospital itself.

You did mention ER a couple of times though which suggest somewhere different to a maternity department.

You did mention ER a couple of times though which suggest somewhere different to a maternity department.

That's actually what it's called in the maternity hospital.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If the child was asleep what is the issue? Kids sleep at night. Where they sleep is largely irrelevant.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If the child was asleep what is the issue? Kids sleep at night. Where they sleep is largely irrelevant.

A child fast asleep in the waiting room of a maternity hospital at 1am?

Not a hope any of my kids would be brought to the maternity hospital E.R let alone sleep in the waiting room at that hour at barely 18 months.

Some people might not have the support that you obviously do. I live away from my family and would have no-one to call on during the night to mind a child at short notice.

The child was asleep, its not that big a deal. They will get over it.

lashes34 wrote: »
    Some people might not have the support that you obviously do. I live away from my family and would have no-one to call on during the night to mind a child at short notice.

The child was asleep, its not that big a deal. They will get over it.

Me personally I have zero support zero family.

We'd be fcuked without the wife's parents.

There was 2 fellas there.

I'll park it now.

• Advertisement

Me personally I have zero support zero family.

We'd be fcuked without the wife's parents.

I'll park it now.

So you as a couple have support, neither of us have family within a two hour drive.

2 fellas but you dont know their story so very unfair in my opinion to pass judgement. They could be doing the best they could.

Not sure why you feel their gender is relevant based on your previous comments about treatment at appointments for blokes though. They are just a spare person to mind the sleeping toddler when mum and dad get seen.

Not sure why you feel their gender is relevant based on your previous comments about treatment at appointments for blokes though. They are just a spare person to mind the sleeping toddler when mum and dad get seen.

The child was brought in when the mother was being seen.

I'll move on, we'll only bog down the thread now.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I love crowd-watching and inventing little scenarios for folk in my head...lets see....

Maybe they are a gay couple with one kid already and the woman is their surrogate for baby number 2?
    Or maybe one is her partner (unmarried) but the other is her legal next of kin. Or her partner's been banned from off the road and got his brother to drive them to the hospital.

The first guess is my favourite. :P

Neyite wrote: »
    I love crowd-watching and inventing little scenarios for folk in my head...lets see....

Maybe they are a gay couple with one kid already and the woman is their surrogate for baby number 2?
    Or maybe one is her partner (unmarried) but the other is her legal next of kin. Or her partner's been banned from off the road and got his brother to drive them to the hospital.

Oh I should have mentioned they were Muslim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A child fast asleep in the waiting room of a maternity hospital at 1am?

Not a hope any of my kids would be brought to the maternity hospital E.R let alone sleep in the waiting room at that hour at barely 18 months.

Myself or my wife do not have parents on hand to step in. If me or her needed to go to A&E at night quickly we would have no choice but to bring the kids along until we could contact someone to collect them. Sometimes needs must. The child was asleep. Hardly a danger to anyone.

We have a very negative attitude to children in this country sometimes. It is odd

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Myself or my wife do not have parents on hand to step in. If me or her needed to go to A&E at night quickly we would have no choice but to bring the kids along until we could contact someone to collect them. Sometimes needs must. The child was asleep. Hardly a danger to anyone.

We have a very negative attitude to children in this country sometimes. It is odd

Don't get me wrong I wasn't aware of their circumstances, but it was a first for me when I seen it, in that department anyway and I'm going in and out of there since 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Neyite wrote: »

I also love people watching and making up scenarios. Great distraction. Loving suggestion 1:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If there were two men there- with the young child- why on earth didn't one of them stay at home with the child- instead of dragging the poor mite out into the night to get to the maternity hospital?

• Advertisement

If there were two men there- with the young child- why on earth didn't one of them stay at home with the child- instead of dragging the poor mite out into the night to get to the maternity hospital?

This is what i have been trying to get across without saying it outright!

Advertisement