Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

If there were two men there- with the young child- why on earth didn't one of them stay at home with the child- instead of dragging the poor mite out into the night to get to the maternity hospital?
    As pointed out previously, plenty of reasons. What may seem easy/normal to you may not work for others. The child may not have wanted to stay with the other man. One man may have had to drive the couple there, who knows. Or they simply wanted the child with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Our hospital is quite new (at least I remember it being built) and the only male/public toilets are out by the main door, 2 floors down. I do think that there should be at least a single toilet on both maternity wings for father's to use.

I also do think that there should be some sort of sleeping facilities for dads as well, nothing fancy, and not catered with food or anything like that, just somewhere basic to get a bit of sleep. My LO was born at 4am via emergency section, it was over 3 hrs before I was brought down to the post natal ward and we live an hour away from the hospital. To say I was worried when he did eventually drive home that morning would be an understatement. I had an uncomfortable chair with no armrest in my cubicle so he couldn't even get any rest beside me. I'll never forget him holding our baby that day sitting on that chair resting his head against the bed and seeing the pure and utter exhaustion in his face. Father's may not be a priority from a medical POV, but they should be treated better than they are so that they can be a better support to the new mothers and therefore take some pressure off the nursing staff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If there were two men there- with the young child- why on earth didn't one of them stay at home with the child- instead of dragging the poor mite out into the night to get to the maternity hospital?
    The 'poor mite' was grand. He was fast asleep

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Was in the Rotunda yesterday for my 20 week scan and there were male and female and unisex toilets all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Toots wrote: »
    Was in the Rotunda yesterday for my 20 week scan and there were male and female and unisex toilets all over the place.

Did you find out what you're having?

It's unisex toilets almost everywhere here in Cork bar one or 2 toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No I didn't! Little troublemaker would not cooperate at all! Kept waving his or her arse all over the place and wriggling around too much for them to get most of the measurements they needed. I've to go back in 4 weeks for a re-do and hopefully the sprogling will be on its best behaviour.

Midwife did mention that it's got a fantastic spine cos it spent most of the scan curled up like a pretzel. My son was like that on his scans, and he's almost 6 now and he still routinely comforts himself into mad shapes.

From what I saw, most of the toilets in Rotunda were either unisex or there was a male and a female one side by side. I dunno what it's like up by the wards, or anything.

No I didn't! Little troublemaker would not cooperate at all! Kept waving his or her arse all over the place and wriggling around too much for them to get most of the measurements they needed. I've to go back in 4 weeks for a re-do and hopefully the sprogling will be on its best behaviour.

Midwife did mention that it's got a fantastic spine cos it spent most of the scan curled up like a pretzel. My son was like that on his scans, and he's almost 6 now and he still routinely comforts himself into mad shapes.

From what I saw, most of the toilets in Rotunda were either unisex or there was a male and a female one side by side. I dunno what it's like up by the wards, or anything.

Hahaha they want to keep their gender a secret another while.

Folic acid is for the spine isn't it?

We've our 16 week scan on Tuesday week, they might be able tell what they are by then.

It's probably better that the toilets are separate rather than unisex.

I think in some cases you can find out at 16 weeks depending on the position. I noticed the loo that were unisex were the ones that were just one toilet so only 1 person could be in at a time. The ones that had cubicles were separate.

The child had no qualms about flashing it's arse (was same at the 12 week scan, we actually saw butt cheeks) but seems more modest about the front end :pac:

I thought folic acid was for neural tube something or other. I think the spine factors in to that somehow.

I think in some cases you can find out at 16 weeks depending on the position. I noticed the loo that were unisex were the ones that were just one toilet so only 1 person could be in at a time. The ones that had cubicles were separate.

The child had no qualms about flashing it's arse (was same at the 12 week scan, we actually saw butt cheeks) but seems more modest about the front end :pac:

I thought folic acid was for neural tube something or other. I think the spine factors in to that somehow.

Fingers crossed here they'll be in the right position.

Only single toilets in a maternity hospital? You'd think they'd have more!

One of mine was like that as well, mad flashing.

It's all combined I think, the folic acid.

The wife is spelling it out to the hospital that she wants a natural birth also.

That woman is on a mission.

They were dotted all over the place, so I'd say it was easier to fit in numerous singles as opposed to one big set of cubicles. Was relieved to see there were loos all over the place cos I went into the scan with a full bladder :pac:

I'd love a natural birth this time around but I'll have to see how labour goes.

• Advertisement

They were dotted all over the place, so I'd say it was easier to fit in numerous singles as opposed to one big set of cubicles. Was relieved to see there were loos all over the place cos I went into the scan with a full bladder :pac:

I'd love a natural birth this time around but I'll have to see how labour goes.

Toilets aplenty is a must.

Can't say i've used one out there that has cubicles, maybe they don;t have them there :confused:

They seem to insist on having a full bladder for the scan's, can't say i've taken notice of that before.

Oh you didn't go natural last time?

The wife has been early everytime and went into labour of her own accord.

So this might be a tad bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

They seem to insist on having a full bladder for the scan's, can't say i've taken notice of that before.

You need to have a full bladder if you are under 15 weeks pregnant or they need to check the placenta.

You need to have a full bladder if you are under 15 weeks pregnant or they need to check the placenta.

Didn't know that, thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Didn't know that, thank you :D

I read it on the wall during a wait in the Rotunda before. A full bladder helps them see things better.

I read it on the wall during a wait in the Rotunda before. A full bladder helps them see things better.

Pity they don't have that on the wall down here, it would save people asking questions as to why they need to :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

That was upstairs right? They're unisex and handy if you're on that ward pre-delivery but if you're downstairs there's only one mens toilet at reception. Once you find out where the rest are it's great as that one by reception is so busy!

Toilets aplenty is a must.

Can't say i've used one out there that has cubicles, maybe they don;t have them there :confused:

Oh you didn't go natural last time?

The wife has been early everytime and went into labour of her own accord.

So this might be a tad bit different.

Went into labour on my own but it was slow going - 41 hours in total. I was "accelerated" which was very unpleasant, so I'd like to avoid that this time round if possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Holles Street only had 1 toilet for men which was on the ground floor iirc.

I only saw the one in Holles st on the ground floor near the back entrance. That said, I had a private room there, so it we didn't have to go looking for bathrooms because the hubby could just use the ensuite if nature called.

I only saw the one in Holles st on the ground floor near the back entrance. That said, I had a private room there, so it we didn't have to go looking for bathrooms because the hubby could just use the ensuite if nature called.

I've heard all sorts of prices thrown out in the open about those :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Thats what insurance is for, but yah its fairly pricey.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Thats what insurance is for, but yah its fairly pricey.

We've always gone public. Some have said there isn't a huge amount of difference between the 2 bar the money.

The figure given to me before was for €3000.

I'm unsure how long the stay was though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

3k a night for your insurer to pay.
    Also- its 900 a night on the ward- if you go public.
    As a private patient no guarantee you'll get a private room anyway- they are allocated 'on a medical needs basis' (which means if you might need medical intervention- you don't get a private room).

It was €1100 odd per night, but my insurance covered it. In fairness to Holles St, there was a big sign in the room on right in front of the bed saying what the room cost per night, and advising patients to confirm with their insurance company that they were covered. If they were in any doubt, to notify a midwife immediately. I went semi-private, but got bumped to a private room because there was one available and my insurance covered it. Not sure if they felt sorry for me after the long labour :pac: I know other people who've gotten a private room while Semi private in Holles st, but I don't know if they let you do it in other hospitals.

I do know one girl who got caught out because she got put on her husband's company policy and cancelled her old one. She assumed it was the same, but turned out she only had cover up to semi private rate (I think circa 850 per night) so they got a bill from the hospital for the shortfall a couple of weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

It's a thousand a night to your insurer in CUMH if you go privately. You cover your consultant fees which can be anything from 2,600-3000ish.

I wonder does anyone actually go private if they don't have health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

It would be interesting to hear. I've very good health insurance but to go semi private there would still have been a short fall of about 3k/5k so just decided to go public (asked a friend who was due with her second baby and she had gone me public with the domino scheme) It's my first and no complications so far so don't see the need. Also I've seen enough consultants with migraines so happy to not see one again!

Maybe if I was guaranteed a private room I would go private but it's not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm sure you'd have the odd case of multi-millionaires who don't bother with health insurance because it's not necessary. It's not like the US where a major health issue could cost you five million dollars. My Dad has been in Blackrock for two weeks now and has had a couple of minor sugeries. The bill still won't go much over €30k. Which is insane for a regular Joe, but if you have €50m in the bank you wouldn't blink at figures like that.

seamus wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd have the odd case of multi-millionaires who don't bother with health insurance because it's not necessary. It's not like the US where a major health issue could cost you five million dollars. My Dad has been in Blackrock for two weeks now and has had a couple of minor sugeries. The bill still won't go much over €30k. Which is insane for a regular Joe, but if you have €50m in the bank you wouldn't blink at figures like that.

Michael Flatley in 2006 comes to mind!

• Advertisement

Back out to the hospital i go.

I need a fcuking tent to camp outside at this stage :mad:

Advertisement