Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭chases0102

Congratulations. 7 months in here. Nothing else quite like it. You learn a lot about yourself too.

Practical advice....make sure you have a good washing machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BSquared

chases0102 wrote: »
    Congratulations. 7 months in here. Nothing else quite like it. You learn a lot about yourself too.

Haha good tip. Have a dryer too for a quick turnaround!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

BSquared wrote: »
    Hi All, new to this group. Good to see a group for father's here as I could find any groups on Facebook. Anyway my misses is 14 weeks along so spreading the word now to friends and family. Exciting.

Anyone else at the same point? Seems like there's not a whole lot to do yet re planning etc

We are bang in the same boat. My missus is 14 weeks pregnant with our first too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yep 1st time so brand new to all this

You have a great journey ahead of you :). Congratulations.

Only thing I would advise is organisation

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

chases0102 wrote: »

I would also add make sure you get your boiler serviced before the baby is due! We managed to have our boiler and washing machine pack it in within a fortnight of me giving birth :pac: bathing and laundry were... interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Back in here for the 3rd time!

Baby No. 3 is due next summer. Still very early days at 8 weeks but looking forward to it!

Maybe I should tie a knot in it now though :pac:

Question lads.
    I never get the flu jab as I'm never sick and have never had the flu in my life. Herself is 14 weeks pregnant and just got he flu jab as she works in healthcare and the GP specifically recommended it for her as she's pregnant.
    Should I get it?
    I don't really like forcing my body to immunise against something it clearly fights itself but if the baby or the missus is at risk if I don't then I clearly will!

note this is specifically directed towards real flu not man flu(ie the cold) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Brego888 wrote: »
    Question lads.
    I never get the flu jab as I'm never sick and have never had the flu in my life. Herself is 14 weeks pregnant and just got he flu jab as she works in healthcare and the GP specifically recommended it for her as she's pregnant.
    Should I get it?
    I don't really like forcing my body to immunise against something it clearly fights itself but if the baby or the missus is at risk if I don't then I clearly will!

I did get it once as i'm asthmatic.

Now i know they say it doesn't give you the flu, but sure enough 7 days after getting it that's exactly what i got, i didn't get the injection or the flu since.

My wife has been offered it numerous times in all her pregnancies and has declined it every time.

They tried to apply a bit of pressure this time as it's twins.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You have a great journey ahead of you :). Congratulations.

Only thing I would advise is organisation

Not much to organise at the moment though yeah? I'm just waiting until after Xmas to get stuck into planning

Question lads.
    Should I get it?

Both of us got it through work. We were both fine after it. Prob worth it just in case

• Advertisement

We are bang in the same boat. My missus is 14 weeks pregnant with our first too!

Good stuff. Mid May due date then. Nice time coming into the summer months. Where are ya having it?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Question lads.
    Should I get it?

My OH never gets sick, however I'm due to give birth in January, so it's still in flu season. He's getting it this time because if he ends up with flu when I go into labour, I'd be afraid he couldn't be with me for the birth. Also my Dad is being treated for cancer at the minute so the whole immediate family have been advised to get it. I think once she's had the vaccine then it probably won't make too much difference if you have it.

Good stuff. Mid May due date then. Nice time coming into the summer months. Where are ya having it?

Due 18th of May and we're having it in the Coombe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wife nearly onto W37 now. We're doing homebirth with a private midwife, but we're also keeping up with regular hospital appointments. Stomach is churning at this stage. Not for the baby but where the feck im going to put this birthing pool! Gotta set it up this weekend to get a picture of where it will happen.

What size is your kitchen? Would it be easiest to set it up there if there's a tiled floor in case of leaks and for easier clean-up after?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Toots wrote: »
    What size is your kitchen? Would it be easiest to set it up there if there's a tiled floor in case of leaks and for easier clean-up after?

There's many layers of waterproof liner provided thats to go under the pool. I dont think cleanup is the issue, moreso the size of the pool itself and how I will fill it if she wants it in the bedroom.

I'll take some photos later this weekend but the sheer amount of material and gadgets you get is madness.

Well I suppose it's better to have too much waterproof material than too little!! We definitely wouldn't be able to fit one in our bedroom! A girl I used to work with set hers up in the spare bedroom, and then got a nice pair of curtains and a few lamps and candles etc to make the atmosphere a bit more relaxing and the room not look so bare.

Toots wrote: »
    Well I suppose it's better to have too much waterproof material than too little!! We definitely wouldn't be able to fit one in our bedroom! A girl I used to work with set hers up in the spare bedroom, and then got a nice pair of curtains and a few lamps and candles etc to make the atmosphere a bit more relaxing and the room not look so bare.

That sounds like a good idea. Can definitely make room and make it super relaxing for her (before I become a useless twonk :D)

Lol! My husband said he never felt as useless in his life as he did when I was in labour. In fairness, I actually found just having him in the room was reassuring enough, I mean there's only so much you can actually do! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Re husbands feeling useless in labour, we did a hypnobirthing course recently before the arrival of our second child a few days ago. The massage techniques and some other stuff he learned really helped with the pains and stress, and he said it was brilliant to have something to do and not feel totally useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Wife nearly onto W37 now. We're doing homebirth with a private midwife, but we're also keeping up with regular hospital appointments. Stomach is churning at this stage. Not for the baby but where the feck im going to put this birthing pool! Gotta set it up this weekend to get a picture of where it will happen.

My sister in law had a home birth and they found setting it up in their open plan kitchen/living room worked best for s couple of reasons, firstly they had a burrco boiler to fill it so easy access to fill it. Also when draining it it was easy to have it close to the back door so the suction thingy went straight out. Afterwards the midwife ran her a bath and set herself and baby up in bed and my brother and the midwife dealt with getting rid of the birthing pool while she rested

Best of luck with the home birth! It looks like a much more relaxing experience than the hospital.

Oh and also I'd say to have a stack of fitted sheets for your bed from penny's or the like put away in the hot press, I was dispatched on a run for fitted sheets for them as l naturally they needed changing quite a bit and they didn't want to be trying to wash them quickly etc!

figrolls wrote: »
    My sister in law had a home birth and they found setting it up in their open plan kitchen/living room worked best for s couple of reasons, firstly they had a burrco boiler to fill it so easy access to fill it. Also when draining it it was easy to have it close to the back door so the suction thingy went straight out. Afterwards the midwife ran her a bath and set herself and baby up in bed and my brother and the midwife dealt with getting rid of the birthing pool while she rested

Best of luck with the home birth! It looks like a much more relaxing experience than the hospital.

Oh and also I'd say to have a stack of fitted sheets for your bed from penny's or the like put away in the hot press, I was dispatched on a run for fitted sheets for them as l naturally they needed changing quite a bit and they didn't want to be trying to wash them quickly etc!

Well I've convinced her to do it downstairs in our psuedo-living room, less to worry about there and I'll get it done up nice and comfy for her. Blew up the pool at the weekend and it fits nicely, we also have hot water outlet and the back door close by.

We've got a rake sheets and towels so I think we're pretty much ready for it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's a very messy process so have everything to hand and extra!The amount of different eh....liquids....that come out is fairly unbelievable.

Any interesting Maternity related Xmas presents planned for the other half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

She'd shoot me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Pregancy massage/spa treatment. I don't know where you're bassed but the Buff Day Spa beside the the Gaiety in Dublin do one. I got it for my wife a couple of times and she loved it. I'm sure you'd find similar around the country if Dublin doesn't suit.

tobsey wrote: »
    Pregancy massage/spa treatment. I don't know where you're bassed but the Buff Day Spa beside the the Gaiety in Dublin do one. I got it for my wife a couple of times and she loved it. I'm sure you'd find similar around the country if Dublin doesn't suit.

Just make sure she's far enough on before you book a spa weekend. We were away on Spa break last weekend and she couldn't get any treatments done as she was only 15 weeks despite the fact we booked a pregnancy massage. Eventually agreed to do the massage after we signed a waver. And bear in mind jacuzzi, steam room, sauna etc are out of bounds too!

Happy New Year all. Big year ahead in 2018!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

She'd shoot me :pac:
    Got a floating locket in Pandora with 2 blue and 2 pink hearts and 1 extra pink heart, all things going well in April! Wife isn't into preaents really but really liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hi all fathers and fathers-to-be - my wife is going to be a first-time Mum (and me a first-time Dad), due in late Feb and we're going with Holles Street.

So she's packed her bags, I'm going to do up a small one myself, we have the car seat, a pram, all the other stuff (I think!) but one thing I'm wondering about is the process of getting her into the hospital, admitted and cared for while also getting rid of the car on the day itself - how did you do it? Like assuming she is in some discomfort, do we pull up to the doors of the hospital, I stick on the hazard lights and help her in the door, then immediately run back out to the car and go look for parking while she heads to be admitted by herself?

Holles Street can be very busy during the day so while I don't mind leaving the car wherever necessary at such an important time I just wonder how people usually manage things!

Also, what did you have with you while in the hospital? I have some of my wife's favourite music on my phone (to play during labour if that's allowed) and plan to bring a toothbrush, toothpaste, a change of shirt, a big bottle of water... not sure what else I'd need? Am a little bit clueless!

Advertisement