Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Licence Query

Options
  • 22-12-2008 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

A relation of mine wisely got his act together and managed to get a 9mm licence during the Summer. I'm moving house in March and I decided to hold off on applying for a pistol licence until I moved. Then Minister Ahern comes out of nowhere and announces the ban.

My question is, should I bother to apply for a licence or is there a blanket ban since the Minister's foolish move? Really kicking myself for not applying when the relation did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

By all means apply for it and in tandem inform your local TD's of your application and where your votes will be next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nobody really knows for sure john, but you've a better chance of keeping it if you have it when whatever measures the Minister has in mind are passed, than you do of getting one if you wait till afterwards (that is, assuming it goes the way he's saying it will).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's two other things I'd suggest also. First, like it or not (and I know it's about the cheapest centre fire to run) the 9mm has a lot of bad press, so consider something else if you want to get a license as quickly as possible.

Second, you need to be clear as to what you are using it for, where you are going to be using it and have some documentary evidence to back it up. That means club membership and club attendance records, safety course and a discipline you can take part in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

A relation of mine wisely got his act together and managed to get a 9mm licence during the Summer. I'm moving house in March and I decided to hold off on applying for a pistol licence until I moved. Then Minister Ahern comes out of nowhere and announces the ban.

My question is, should I bother to apply for a licence or is there a blanket ban since the Minister's foolish move? Really kicking myself for not applying when the relation did.

as of from the 19th nov 2008 any new pistol licences wil be issued but not renewed in july 2009.
    if your application was in before that date (even if you dont have it yet) will be renewed.
    the current one will be allowed as a kind of grandfathers agreement so to speak.
    the new legislation is not due till feb 09 so everyone should hound their local td whatever party he/she belongs to.
    we have high ranking people in politics and the gardai who are members of gun clubs,including pistols and against the ban.
    also the same goes for the opposition to guns.
    des crofton of the nargc and a member of the fcp has worked very hard and continues to do so for us.he just saved us from a total ban and is still
    working to try and resolve the situation.
    dont give up hope just yet,,wait and see what happens in feb.

Advertisement