Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Vs Chelsea Goodison Park 22/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The ref is throwing out a lot of yellows.

but in fairness it might stop the Chelsea players moaning,

Cole got one there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

it's high time Chelsea started getting handed bookings for their carry on. Cole and Lampard booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

100% red card. Could be a blessing in disguise though because we'll be forced to give Alex game time, maybe 3 matches over the transfer window which may convince him to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Isn't it a 2match ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Ref sent him off after a long think about it, and a talk with the assistant

he called his straight over according to that replay. Studs up, flying tackle, after the ball. The temerity of protesting like that. And then in his face afterwards. In rugby you touch the ref like that, you're looking at a walk for that alone. And rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Bubs101 wrote: »
    100% red card. Could be a blessing in disguise though because we'll be forced to give Alex game time, maybe 3 matches over the transfer window which may convince him to stay

but alex has been playing since Carvalho injury,

we may now need to play alex and ivanovic, if carvalho's not ready.

plus he hasnt requested a transfer that was a false story according to scolari and terry.

Yeah well he was alwaqys going to give him a card, he had to decide red or yellow,

am pretty sure he spoke to his assistant over the earpiece, Setanta seemed to think so.

Having seen it again i still think it was a bit harsh, but according to the rules he had to go.

Poll is giving his view at HT on Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am not convinced on the sending off myself now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh dear how many matches are actually going to have 22 players finishing the game? It looked bad but he was going for the ball the ball was the same height as Terry's foot it was a 50 50 ball both players going for the ball, these refs are ruining the game

It was a bad tackle but not as bad as Arca's and he got a yellow! There is no Consistency even look at the two yellow's for Lampard and Cole, if players got booked every time for mouthing we'd see 20 a game!

Now that the ref's are professional there is no excuse for such lack of consistency

• Advertisement

Am not convinced on the sending off myself now...

I still think he only had his eyes on the ball,

and the ball was as high as his foot,

The ref definetly got a second opinion.

Mcmanaman and Poll think Yes, Sherwood thinks no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just seen it, definite red

God bless Tim.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Graham poll confirms what is long suspected. Refs take into account a player's standing in the england team when considering taking action against them. Ridiculous. Obviously not this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Graham Poll said the decision was correct and it was a red. Fair play and he said like I mentioned earlier all the crap thats going to come with this sending off because he is England captain. He done it to Terry in 2005 and ended up being investigated by the FA. No doubt there will be something similar here.

The 4th Official has said Dowd made the decision on his own.

I still think Chelsea can win this, especially if they bring Drogbra on.

Hard to see where an Everton goal will come from, a corner or free kick is all i can see.

• Advertisement

it was definitely a red. It was a dangerous tackle - regardless of how high the ball was. He could have broken his leg

Melion wrote: »
    Just seen it, definite red

Definite? I don't think so.

Poll talking about how its different sending off the England Captain than any player shows a small insight in how the refs think.

In another year or two 50-50 tackles will be forbidden, anyone who has played the game will have seen Terry went into a 50-50 for the ball, he was a fraction of a second later than the Everton player, na malious or badness just a hard 50-50 tackle.

Villain wrote: »

Poll talking about how its different sending off the England Captain than any player shows a small insight in how the refs think.

In another year or two 50-50 tackles will be forbidden, anyone who has played the game will have seen Terry went into a 50-50 for the ball, he was a fraction of a second later than the Everton player, na malious or badness just a hard 50-50 tackle.

Exactly how i saw it, and as you said the next to go will be 50/50 tackles, players will have to wait for the ball to come to them.

Peoples opinions on this i think come from how the3y play the game themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I am delighted a referee (albeit Poll) finally admitted that you treat Captain Lionheart JT different to other players because he's captain of England, delighted...

and if he had broken the player's leg?

• Advertisement

Stuff like that happens,

It is different if it is intentional, and different again if Osman had have had the ball, it was 50/50 and terrys eyes remained on the ball at all times,

Has every player who has tackled a player in the past, and broken or in some way aided the leg break recieved a red card? i doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

It was a bad tackle but not as bad as Arca's and he got a yellow! There is no Consistency even look at the two yellow's for Lampard and Cole, if players got booked every time for mouthing we'd see 20 a game!

^^What he said^^

It was a bad tackle, but others just as bad and worse often go unpunished. It was shocking that both Lampard & Cole got booked too, how often do players get away with a warning in that spot. IMO the ref has a pre-concieved notion about these players and he took their reputations into the decision, which is wrong.

So you want all 50-50 tackles ruled out because someone might get hurt?

Trust me a player knows he risks getting hurt you throw yourself into a 50-50 tackle, I have come out of them without any injury and I have had to come off because of them but if you play soccer thats the risk you take.

Its a contact sport, if you want to rule out any tackles that cause serious injury you'll end up closer to basketball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

deffo red, how could easily have snapped osmans shin ffs.

who cares its john terry. not me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Straight red no questions if it had been a everton player he would of been sent off to just because he is the english captain does not make him any different than any other player. What does it matter if the 4th offical has been consulated .Whats the story with Mcmanaman and Sherwood going on about JT JT JT either call him john or terry cut out the jt sh1te

So you want all 50-50 tackles ruled out because someone might get hurt?

Trust me a player knows he risks getting hurt you throw yourself into a 50-50 tackle, I have come out of them without any injury and I have had to come off because of them but if you play soccer thats the risk you take.

Its a contact sport, if you want to rule out any tackles that cause serious injury you'll end up closer to basketball.

i didn't see it as 50-50. I saw it as a very rash challenge from JT, which was rightly punished

i didn't see it as 50-50. I saw it as a very rash challenge from JT, which was rightly punished

How would you describe a 50/50 tackle then?

deffo red, how could easily have snapped osmans shin ffs.

who cares its john terry. not me
    And if Terry had been a fraction of a second faster and got the ball Osman could have snapped Terry's shin, thats what a 50-50 tackle is.

I wonder how many posters here have actually played soccer at a competitive level, because some seem to have a very naive view.

That tackle was more like a 100-0 than a 50-50. Terry was going to be the only winner, whether he won the ball or the legs the everton player was going no further.

one where both players go in fairly for the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

The opposite of what Terry did!

If he broke his leg he'd be a villian right now and everyone would be looking for his head, no one would be questioning the sending off. He dived at it with both feet, studs showing, he was high and late. He looked at the player before deciding to take it on so he knew it was going to be very close and therefore he has to accept that if he doesn't make a clean tackle he risks getting a sending off.

And if Terry had been a fraction of a second faster and got the ball Osman could have snapped Terry's shin, thats what a 50-50 tackle is.

I.

It's not a game of if's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

A good example is Alonso and Fabregas yesterday.

redout wrote: »
    It's not a game of if's.

Actually in some cases it is. Intent is enough to warrant a foul/booking.

deisedevil wrote: »
    The opposite of what Terry did!

If he broke his leg he'd be a villian right now and everyone would be looking for his head, no one would be questioning the sending off. He dived at it with both feet, studs showing, he was high and late. He looked at the player before deciding to take it on so he knew it was going to be very close and therefore he has to accept that if he doesn't make a clean tackle he risks getting a sending off.

I dont understand people saying he was high, if you are going in to win the ball, your foot needs to be as high as the ball in order to win it? thats why i believe Terry was going for the ball,

If Terry wasn't going for the ball, then it would be a lot more evident, there would be no room for debate, as you say a leg would have been broken, then send him off, then call for his head, then hand out a further ban.

The way i see it, peoples views on this will be based on how they play/played football themselves and at what level. I'm going to leave it at that anyways.

redout wrote: »
    It's not a game of if's.
    People who have played the game and know the game can tell when a player has tried to do a player and when a player was genuinely going for the ball, i.e. trying to do a player and missing him is worse than a player going for the ball and getting the player.

So it can be about if's

A good example is Alonso and Fabregas yesterday.

Yeah i saw that one, and that one was a 50/50 too. Fabregas got injured so are we going to call for Alonso to be banned now?

I dont see this one as any different in that sense, obviously the way Terry went in for it had potential to cause harm, but walking out on the pitch players know these things can happen,

Intention is the big thing here, and i think Terry's main intention was to get the ball, a red card was harsh for that.

:DYahoo..........

Now Ballack in the book. Thought Big Phil was gonna have a heart-attack there for a minute.

I never understand arguing over stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im sure some people will be really critical about the ref tonight but I am really pleased to see Lamps, A.Cole, Ballack and co all getting booked for mouthing off to the ref.

In fairness Dowd couldn't have taken smaller strides :D

I never understand arguing over stuff like this.

I don't think you really understand the beauty of football then so...
    There will always be people who have different opinion's on an incident like this and I usually find the debate's very entertaining :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

LOL @ Ballacks booking, the ref is a moron

im sure some people will be really critical about the ref tonight but I am really pleased to see Lamps, A.Cole, Ballack and co all getting booked for mouthing off to the ref.

I think we all would be if every ref was the same sadly the next game you see you will probably players abusing the officials without any cards been given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If Terry wasn't going for the ball, then it would be a lot more evident, there would be no room for debate, as you say a leg would have been broken, then send him off, then call for his head, then hand out a further ban.

That's crazy talk! Refs have to protect players. Players need to know before risking dangerous tackles like that that they may be sent off, that prevents broken legs, rather than punishment after a leg has been broken. Prevention is always better.

• Advertisement

eddiehead wrote: »
    LOL @ Ballacks booking, the ref is a moron

True,

and then they miss stuff like Alex's stamp there. More of a red than terry's if you were to boil it down

deisedevil wrote: »
    That's crazy talk! Refs have to protect players. Players need to know before risking dangerous tackles like that that they may be sent off, that prevents broken legs, rather than punishment after a leg has been broken. Prevention is always better.

Well lets stop them before they get out onto the pitch so, it's clearly the only way,

If we are leaving it up to refs to protect players, when they are so inconsistent in their main job, i think the players are fooked :rolleyes:

Lets get back to the match. Everton are crap even against 10 men. Chelsea could win this which would be a kick in the bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Good save there by Cech.

JPA wrote: »
    Good save there by Cech.

Aye, two fantastic one's in a row, he's a great keeper

• Advertisement
Advertisement