Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked myself out with wifi MAC address?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I have an snb5600
    I was trying to add a third laptop to my wifi through the wifi settings using the mac address as encryption (I think). When I looked at the settings of the wifi, it said that Mac encryption was disabled (I thought I had previously enabled it), so I clicked enable. Then I lost all connection, no internet and I can't even get back into settings. I have an odd feeling i locked myself out with enabling this as the mac address for the base computer was not entered. Is this possible?
    Anyone have any idea how I might work around?

Its def the wifi and not loss of internet because when I plug the internet cable into the computer, it works fine. I have also tried to reinstall the softare, but it won't install as it says "Cannot detect wifi, check cables etc.."

Thanks

EDIT - [SOLVED]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can you log into the settings over Ethernet? Maybe log in and try reset the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

ironclaw wrote: »
    Can you log into the settings over Ethernet? Maybe log in and try reset the router.

Tried that last night but no luck

I couldn't stand having no internet for xmas so I just went over to maplin there and bought a new wifi. Working perfectly again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Reset your router - should be a little pin hole at the back.

This will revert it to factory settings and you can start all over again.

However unless you actually entered the mac number the router should not be blocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

dub45 wrote: »
    Reset your router - should be a little pin hole at the back.

This will revert it to factory settings and you can start all over again.

However unless you actually entered the mac number the router should not be blocking it.

Ah, cheers for that. There is indeed a reset pin hole.

Advertisement