Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop

• 22-12-2008 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I was just wondering if these specs would be good with WoW
    • Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T7350 2 GHz Dual-Core
    • RAM - 3 GB (installed) 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM
    • Hard Drive - 250 GB
    • Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Screen - 16 in TFT active matrix 1920 x 1080 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
    • Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi Dual Layer Writer
    • Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
    Good value laptop I think, but how would WoW go FPS wise etc etc?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I run up to 2 copies of wow on the laptop I am currently writing this message on.

It's a core 2 duo 1.66ghz, 2gb ram, 200gb harddrive and 8400m graphics card.

In short, yes, it's fine for running wow.
    In terms of FPS, I get 30 fairly solidly with quite a few add-ons installed, that most people would just as soon do without. With that laptop, I'd say you could hit and maintain 60 fps without addons. 40 or so with a few. Anything above 30 or so is perfectly acceptable for playing, unless you are some kind of elitest PC snob ;)

Queue elitest PC snobs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jason2379 wrote: »
    Good value laptop I think, but how would WoW go FPS wise etc etc?:confused:
    That'll likely run it on pretty much max settings without much hassle. About the only thing you may need to turn down are the shadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Aye no hassle at all with that laptop, specs are pretty good infact. I'm curious though, where are you getting it and whats the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Anti wrote: »
    Aye no hassle at all with that laptop, specs are pretty good infact. I'm curious though, where are you getting it and whats the price?

me too! I've been considering getting one for "college"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

sam, where are you playing now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Jason2379

It's an Acer Aspire 6930G for €654 on www.laptopsdirect.ie.

I'm currently on an Acer Extensa 5220

I is very happy now! :D Thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ivan wrote: »
    I run up to 2 copies of wow on the laptop I am currently writing this message on.

It's a core 2 duo 1.66ghz, 2gb ram, 200gb harddrive and 8400m graphics card.

In short, yes, it's fine for running wow.
    In terms of FPS, I get 30 fairly solidly with quite a few add-ons installed, that most people would just as soon do without. With that laptop, I'd say you could hit and maintain 60 fps without addons. 40 or so with a few. Anything above 30 or so is perfectly acceptable for playing, unless you are some kind of elitest PC snob ;)

Queue elitest PC snobs :D

And what fps would you get in dalaran? ;)

25ish...

25ish...

With all details maxed out? Im lucky to hit 30 with a beast of a machine :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Get about 40fps in dalaran and thats with a 9800gtx+ Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 with 4gigs and 75gig raptor drive, but theres over 25k accounts on my server one of the top 5 busiests servers and dalaran does be jammed at peak times,
    get about 35fps in raids thats with a rake of addons

• Advertisement

Seriously, currently I'm putting up with a mean of 1fps in Dalaran and 10-14 in the world.Anything could be better. I would love 30+ fps in the world and something decent for raids, not fussed about capitals because they just laggy anyway. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

This is the exact laptop i use...

on this laptop i run in max supported resolution with everything on medium settings, i get a fairly constant 40-50fps or so when out in the world, and i would think around 20fps in darlan

i have disabled all the stuff in vista that makes it slow, search indexing etc.. just to help..

it might help to know that although the laptop comes with vista and is designed for vista, Acer do not provide XP drivers if you want to downgrade.

a quick google will provide a number of "fan" sites where you can get modified XP drivers to allow you to run XP on the laptop.

Hmm, not too bad. The main thing I'd like is the View Distance at max, but I know that medium is near perfect in that setting.

If I do get this laptop, would you mind if you could tell me what things you disabled and how you did it? Because I probably will keep vista, could not be bothered to downgrade. =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Speed up boot time:

Start –> Run
    Type msconfig, click Ok
    Click on the “Boot” tab
    Click Advanced Options
    Enable the checkbox titled “Number of Processors:”
    Change the number to your number of cores using the drop down box
    Click Ok
    Click Ok/Apply
    Restart

Disable UAC in Control Panel-User Accounts
    Disable Windows Search in Start-Run-Services.msc
    Disable Windows Aero
    Disable Sidebar

Cool, thanks a lot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I just bought a new MacBook (2.0 ghz, 2gb ram, Nvidia 9400) and it runs WoW very nicely at max resolution. I was getting over 50 fps flying around Shattrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Dustaz wrote: »
    sam, where are you playing now?

I'm not, not living at home, we are getting chorus wireless installed not sure there'd be space for my pc, a laptop would do nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

25ish...

really??
    in dalaran?

Mine comes to an absolute crawl in there ( <5 fps) and get 30 everywhere else

Yeah, on further investigation, it's 25 on my pc in dalaran, about 9 on my laptop :|

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I just bought a new MacBook (2.0 ghz, 2gb ram, Nvidia 9400) and it runs WoW very nicely at max resolution. I was getting over 50 fps flying around Shattrath.

Thats because you were the only one there :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

lazygit wrote: »
    Speed up boot time:

Start –> Run
    Type msconfig, click Ok
    Click on the “Boot” tab
    Click Advanced Options
    Enable the checkbox titled “Number of Processors:”
    Change the number to your number of cores using the drop down box
    Click Ok
    Click Ok/Apply
    Restart

Disable UAC in Control Panel-User Accounts
    Disable Windows Search in Start-Run-Services.msc
    Disable Windows Aero

Disable Sidebar

Thanks for this, never knew about the dual core thingy. I done it a differant way, reformatted a while back, and forgot how I done the dual core complicated thingy :)

How do you do the ones in bold btw? Can you be more specific please? And what impact will this have on my PC?

OK, I've kinda gone off the idea of buying from Laptopsdirect.ie. Though it's a really good laptop I've heard that Laptopsdirect has bad customer service and I'm a bit iffy on the whole thing.

But today I was shopping and I saw a really good laptop for €799, was reduced from €1089 or something. I cant remember the full specs but it had 3gb ram, 2ghz processor (I think) and only a 256mb graphics card (don't know the brand or whatever)and a Blu-ray player with full HD. It's a Sony Vaio anyway.

Will this be a good laptop to buy for WoW or should I risk buying with laptopsdirect.ie or pixmania? I currently have an Acer and I had problems with it a couple of months back and I had no trouble getting it repaired. Acer came straight out and took it back. So if I did have problems with the Acer from Laptopsdirect, could I just so the same thing as I did with this laptop? :confused:

Thanks again for the replies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

If it helps at all, I added these lines to my config.wtf file and it bumped my fps in Dalaran, BG's etc., from a shocking 7 fps !!! up to now 80+ FPS, back to perfect again.

Try the MaxLights one firstly and if that doesn't make a difference on it's own then add the rest.
    You must be quit out of Wow when you make these changes.
    SET M2UseShaders "0"
    SET M2UsePixelShaders "1"
    SET M2Faster "0"
    SET MaXLights "1"

We were looking at overclockers.co.uk. With the great conversion of sterling to euros now, you can get a pretty amazing deal. And they've just recently started doing damn nice, and in some cases custom built, laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-004-OK

Feedback on their laptops has been really good so far.

1060.23 Sterling or 1108.76 Euro will get you:

Core 2 Duo T5800 2Ghz
    2GB Ram
    320GB 7200RPM HD
    Vista Home 32Bit
    Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS 512MB (One of the best laptop graphics atm, ignoring the super overpriced top of the line stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Martinog

Jason2379 wrote: »
    OK, I've kinda gone off the idea of buying from Laptopsdirect.ie. Though it's a really good laptop I've heard that Laptopsdirect has bad customer service and I'm a bit iffy on the whole thing.

But today I was shopping and I saw a really good laptop for €799, was reduced from €1089 or something. I cant remember the full specs but it had 3gb ram, 2ghz processor (I think) and only a 256mb graphics card (don't know the brand or whatever)and a Blu-ray player with full HD. It's a Sony Vaio anyway.

Will this be a good laptop to buy for WoW or should I risk buying with laptopsdirect.ie or pixmania? I currently have an Acer and I had problems with it a couple of months back and I had no trouble getting it repaired. Acer came straight out and took it back. So if I did have problems with the Acer from Laptopsdirect, could I just so the same thing as I did with this laptop? :confused:

Thanks again for the replies :D

If Your thinking of getting a laptop at that price i recommend
    (MSI 15.4" GX630) , apparently it can handle cod4 on 125, so wow would be 60fps all the time ;DD, im getting this A.S.A the LC is over. Currently there is sale for 799$ which is bout 650 euro? then delivery from america... for about 750, only thing is the adapter is american

SPECS:

MSI GX630 GAMING NOTEBOOK
    •Display: 15.4" WXGA (1680 x 1050) TFT display ACV(Amazing Crystal Vision) Display
    •Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium / Windows XP
    CPU: AMD® Puma Athlon Ultra Dual core 2.0 Ghz - 1600 MHz FSB
    GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M-GT 512MB DDR3 + Turbo Cache-With Support For Microsoft® DirectX® 10
    •System Memory: Up to 4GB DDR2-800MHz Dual Channel Memory
    Hard Drive: SATA Hardrive 250GB
    •Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi (DVD+-RW/ CD+-RW)
    •Communications:
    Intel® WiMAX / WiFi Link Ready
    Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN and Modem Module
    Built-in 802.11a/g/N WLAN Card / Bluetooth
    •Analog Line Out / Digital 5.1 Channel S/PDIF Output Recognized and Approved by the Highest standards of Dolby®
    •E-SATA connector
    •HDMI connector (1080p supported)
    •Built In 2.0 Mega Pixel Camera

Advertisement