Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you in control?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

I have never been in control of certain aspects of my life, mainly eating and exercise habits, drinking (trying to quit) and general self-discipline etc. In the last few months I've had a number of spiritual experiences (nothing supernatural of course) and have managed to focus for a few meditations. This has given me an awareness that allowed me to control my eating habits but alas it's temporary, and eventually I get shifted back to my old modus operandi.

So I have some questions for you all: Are you in control of your life and how do you do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes, I'd argue that I am in control of my life. How do I do it though?

I seek God's example in my life, I try to follow by God's precepts as outlined for Christians in the Bible, and I have set myself goals to change habits, and change things that I am not happy doing or to continue to do.

Then again this is something that people argue that they do in a multitude of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

I've been reading books that cover this
    http://www.abraham-hicks.com/ (the quotes are v good)
    offer teachings on this type of thing and it works (for me and others)
    its based on the law of attraction or the so called secret (but oddly dosn't feature in the popular book)
    heres a local man (hes irish)
    http://www.paddymcmahon.com/index.htm
    theres some youtube vids there
    I've been brooding over this topic
    and basically one is in control of their own feelings and thoughts which are reflected to them in what they experience in the outer world
    also another one I heard was you are the captain of the ship youy call the shots , you are the director of your own life
    hope this helps
    happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I tend to take everything one step at a time. Fix the small things first and work out priorities for what is important or not.

Writing helps me to work out my priorities, and serves as motivation when I fall down and have to pick myself back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

grasshopa wrote: »
    I have never been in control of certain aspects of my life, mainly eating and exercise habits, drinking (trying to quit) and general self-discipline etc. In the last few months I've had a number of spiritual experiences (nothing supernatural of course) and have managed to focus for a few meditations. This has given me an awareness that allowed me to control my eating habits but alas it's temporary, and eventually I get shifted back to my old modus operandi.

So I have some questions for you all: Are you in control of your life and how do you do it?

We might be controlling our life very well, but there might also be no happiness in that, because the senses are not being satisfied. Generally, everyone likes to intoxicate themselves with some type of drug now and again, even if it is only caffeine, or they have sex with their other half/masturbate, if not food stuffs is another people "latch" onto, and gambling in some cases...these things satisfy our senses. If we can control our mind, we are not tempted by these things, but false suppression of the senses is difficult, and there is always a chance of a falldown.
    My main advice: try to connect with your INNER SELF, and take pleasure from within, and be happy. Television/radio/hectic lifestyle is a no-no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

Four-Too wrote: »
    ...try to connect with your INNER SELF, and take pleasure from within, and be happy....

I definitely agree with this.

Personally, I have given up meat and fish in the past 12 months as well as tobacco and "funnier" smoking substances, and also drinking (bar festivie occasions) I am also eating far less processed foods.

I did this over time, giving up each when the time was right for me. It was all done through education, i learned what it was that I was consuming, why I was consuming it and the effects it had on me. I then chose to chose to stop with absolutely no regrets or withdrawal symptoms.

I improved my diet after reading Alan Carrs book on food wherein he describes what our bodies are designed to eat and what it is we crave when we crave food. once I understood how my body worked it was much easier to eat healthy. Giving up meat came later, after I learned how our food is reared and prepared, again I suddenly stopped wanting it.

Tobacco again was done with Alan Carrs help, his easy way to stop smoking does exactly what it says on the tin so to speak.

With respect to excercise all I do is use the stairs instead of the lift from time to time and try to move about as much as I can during the day rather than sit in front of the laptop.

I believe we are not our thoughts, rather we are that which is listening to our thoughts. the same goes for our physical body, it is not all of who we are. Everything you need is within you, educate yourself, have an open mind and be happy, the rest will follow...

• Advertisement
Advertisement