Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlevania Movie (Finally)

Options
  • 22-12-2008 6:22am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to dissapoint, not really referring to any potential (or upcoming) official movies, but I did finish that little animation I ranted about here ages ago - So decided to pop by and hope that any Castlevania // SOTN fans (Or sprite fight fans in general) fancy giving my abomination of dribble a gander ;)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/474975

PS. Was I right in reading somewhere that there is indeed a potential Castlevania movie on the horizon, or did my brain melt on one of those long 12hr shifts while stuck reading RTE.Website all day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania#Film
    Film

In November 2005, Crystal Sky Pictures acquired the rights to adapt the video game series for the big screen. The company attached Paul W.S. Anderson to write and direct the film adaptation, with production slated to begin in mid-2006.[24] Later in the month, Dimension Films entered negotiations with Crystal Sky for North American distribution of Castlevania. The film adaptation was estimated to have a budget of $50 million.[25] In July 2006, producer Jeremy Bolt explained that Castlevania will "integrate a Dracula origin story... with the story of the Belmonts." Bolt also said that the film would refer back to early versions of the games.[26] Director Anderson reiterated Bolt's description, adding that Dracula and Simon Belmont would be key characters in the film. Anderson also indicated that the "very lush, Romantic, Gothic look" of the 3D incarnations of the Castlevania series would be used in the film. He also expressed his hope in using the games' composer, Michiru Yamane, to score the film's soundtrack.[27]

In November 2006, Rogue Pictures replaced Dimension Films, who reneged over script differences, in handling North American distribution of Castlevania, with Crystal Sky Pictures handling international distribution. Paul W.S. Anderson described Castlevania to take place in many time periods, but primarily in 15th century Transylvania. The director and producer Jeremy Bolt had scouted locations in Hungary and Romania, with plans to build castle interiors in Budapest. Principal photography was slated to begin in spring 2007.[28]

In January 2007, director Anderson said the studio was still finalizing the film's budget, and filming would begin in fall or winter in Transylvania and Hungary. According to the director, the filming was postponed because production had desired snow on the ground for the film's forest scenes. Anderson described the locations: "It was like discovering Mordor as a real location — epic, dramatic, and above all scary. These locations haven't been shot properly in a mainstream movie, so that is always extra exciting... to put something on camera that hasn't been seen before." The director also revealed that post-production and effects work for Castlevania would be done in London.[29]

In June 2007, Anderson conceded directing duties to Sylvain White in order to take on the project Death Race, a remake of Death Race 2000. White, who played the Castlevania video game in the early 1990s, was attracted to the prospect of filming a vampire film. White explained "Most of the vampire films have been present or set in the future, from Blade to Underworld, and I was attracted by the chance to make a dark, epic period movie that almost has an anime feel to it". The new director, who negotiated a salary of seven figures, will rewrite the script with Anderson's assistance. The premise will follow Trevor Belmont and his younger brother Christopher as they are ordered into service to the church, to take the cursed castle of Dracula and live up to the legend set by their ancestor Leon. Production of Castlevania is slated to begin in late fall 2007 in South Africa and Romania. Castlevania is planned for a late 2008 release.[30] In October 2007, Anderson said that he hoped to have a script within two or three weeks before the onset of the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike. Producer Jeremy Bolt said that production was intended to begin in spring 2008.[31]

In December 2007, Rogue Pictures halted active development of Castlevania due to the writers' strike. Despite the shelving, White remains committed to direct the film.[32]

It;s been banided about for the last nearly 3 years in and a around Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

RopeDrink wrote: »

Nice flash m8. I've gotten into a little flash myself but never tried uploading to newgrounds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice to see you finally finished it, very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fantastic work, makes me want to play SotN again damnit!
    Especially liked the fight on the falling chunk of stairwell, very cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Forgot to watch this first time around so glad you bumped it. Dunno if I can appreciate it on the level of someone who's familiar with the Castlevania moves/abilities. Have only played a few hours of SoTN, are the attacks dramatized versions of ones from the series?

Enjoyed your piece - fight was nicely choreographed.

Is it wrong that I'm now psyched for Street Fighter IV? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement