Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turns out there are some honest black/taxi/gardai out there

Options
  • 22-12-2008 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

MODS - This is a double post from AH, but felt it woul do better in here since i'm talking about locals..... Read on....

Rightio, here we go...

Fell into a taxi there a while ago, absolutily w4nkered drunk. Asked the black taxi driver to take me home, along with the GF. I didn't say too much to him along the way (was too busy with the missus ooh er) apart from the usual sh1te. Anyhow, got home, fare was 7.45 - I gave him 7.50 and went along my way

An hour late rI realise i've no phone. Rang and rang ang rang - Was so locked I forgot I got a taxi, so I decide to WALK back to the chineese where I thought i'd left the phone (After ringing the phone loads of times from the landline) - When I get back the oul man says a Guard rang the landline (from the mobile) saying the phone was handed in to the local station - Turns out I left the phone in the Taxi, taxi driver handed it into the station. So I pop on down in my drunken state, arrived at the desk and decided to try my Irish skillz Best response from the Guard ever "Come back here, the door is open, my hands are covered in sh1te" - I looked down, he had the gloves on Anyhow he brought me in, the phone there on the desk

I thanked him in Irish, and we had a quick convo - I asked if the taxi driver left a number/contact detail which he didn't - Tried leavin the Guard a 20eur note as a thanks but he told me to feck off and he didn't have a contact for the taxi driver so no chance of givin him the few quid

Pointless post really, but just goes to show that there ARE honest black/taxi/gardai out there! - My faith is restored, not *everyone* is a cnut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

"pointless post", says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hey, that's great. Maybe knock off a quick letter to the Advertiser to say thanks - he'll know who he is, and be chuffed. Good guy.

Same thing happened to me after a work party a couple of years ago, only the taxi driver had left his car in his garage all day; I rang the taxi company, they rang him but he was fasto and didn't get the messages until he woke up, and then he dropped it in to the front desk of the place where I was working at the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yep same thing happened to me but he brought it back to my door. I wrote to the advertiser but it wasn't published. I guess, quite like foxy, they're only interested in the doom and gloom.

Plenty of honest Gardai around, not so sure there are many that are competent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yah before you send it off to the advertiser you might want to remove the presumption that there were no honest "black" before tonight when (surprise!) it "turns out" there are. You know, just a thought, unless you actually don't mind publishing a letter in your name that just drips with latent racism.

Anyway, glad you got your phone back.

Yah before you send it off to the advertiser you might want to remove the presumption that there were no honest "black" before tonight when (surprise!) it "turns out" there are. You know, just a thought, unless you actually don't mind publishing a letter in your name that just drips with latent racism.

Bwah ha ha.

Although I do think he meant contrary to popular JoeDuffyPhoning belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

But i'm a racist ya big eejit, did ya not get the jist from my post? :pac:

Taxi driver was really nice considering I was returning from my XMas KKK meeting - In full costume n all :pac:
    :pac:

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Bwah ha ha.

Although I do think he meant contrary to popular JoeDuffyPhoning belief.

Exactly - I think PopeBuckfast should hang out with the AH brigade tbh - Constant w4nkerism is not appreciated in Galway forum! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I don't see why you had to point out that he was black. That's so politically incorrect. What's race got to do with it?

kraggy wrote: »
    I don't see why you had to point out that he was black. That's so politically incorrect. What's race got to do with it?

Because i'm a very politically incorrect person :pac:

The reason I mentioned it was because if I didn't i'd put a bet with you that i'd be asked if he/she was Irish or foreign, I was only answering the question before it was asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I know John. It was a joke. Hence the :pac:

• Advertisement

I know John. It was a joke. Hence the :pac:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I wroted a song for you. It's called

"What's Race Got To Do With It"

You must understand
    That the touch of your hand
    Makes my phone react
    That it's only the thrill
    Of black meeting white
    Opposites attract

It's physical
    Illogical
    You must try to ignore
    Taxis mean more than that

[Chorus]
    Oh whats race got to do, got to do with it
    What's race but a second taxi home
    What's race got to do, got to do with it
    Who needs a phone
    When a phone can be broken

It may seem to you
    That I'm acting confused
    When you're driving me
    If I tend to look dazed
    I've read it in d'Advertiser
    I've got cause to be

There's a name for it
    There's a phrase that fits
    But whatever the racism
    You do it for me

[Chorus]

I've been thinking of a new direction
    But i hate to say
    I've been thinking about my own protection
    It scares me to feel this way

What's race but a sweet old fashioned Nokia phone
    Who needs a phone when a phone can be broken

fade to obscurity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Yah before you send it off to the advertiser you might want to remove the presumption that there were no honest "black" before tonight when (surprise!) it "turns out" there are.
    They've gotten a bad rap, and damn you for a liar if you say they haven't. No harm in correcting that misconception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Happened to my ex in mullingar last year, taxi driver rang her father and eventually got in contact with her, he dropped the phone to her house and wouldnt accept any money for it, there are nice people in the world!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I don't see why you had to point out that he was black.
    Totally agree. I mean, he was a taxi driver, in Galway. Surely we could have grasped it from there. Bet he supported Arsenal too ;)

But yeah, I always try and give stuff like that back. One night I met a few girls I knew, all steaming, and one told me how she'd found a phone. I somehow managed to get it off her, and phoned her home/auld fella, but got no answer (it was about 12am). I tried ringing some other random number and a fella picked up, I said do you know who owns this phone, and who they might be out with tonight. He gave me a name of some girl so I found it in her phonebook and gave it a buzz, they were in Cuba and I went and met them outside and handed it back :) aren't I just the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Totally agree. I mean, he was a taxi driver, in Galway. Surely we could have grasped it from there. Bet he supported Arsenal too ;)

But yeah, I always try and give stuff like that back. One night I met a few girls I knew, all steaming, and one told me how she'd found a phone. I somehow managed to get it off her, and phoned her home/auld fella, but got no answer (it was about 12am). I tried ringing some other random number and a fella picked up, I said do you know who owns this phone, and who they might be out with tonight. He gave me a name of some girl so I found it in her phonebook and gave it a buzz, they were in Cuba and I went and met them outside and handed it back :) aren't I just the best

Well you get a big blue peter badge :D

And also I agree it didn't have to be mentioned he was black! :mad:

But are you black??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And the moral?
    Don't lose your bloody phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

One night I met a few girls I knew, all steaming, and one told me how she'd found a phone. I somehow managed to get it off her, and phoned her home/auld fella, but got no answer (it was about 12am). I tried ringing some other random number and a fella picked up, I said do you know who owns this phone, and who they might be out with tonight. He gave me a name of some girl so I found it in her phonebook and gave it a buzz, they were in Cuba and I went and met them outside and handed it back :) aren't I just the best

Very MacCool thinking indeed!

A tip for when you lose your phone in a taxi: try getting a friend to text it with a message like "This phone is lost, if you find if please ring XX on YYY".

Taxi-drivers etc often aren't keen on answering lost phones, 'cos they don't really want to get into conversations with your friends.

The approach above worked nicely for me the other week. The driver (who is Irish - you wanna guess what colour he was?) did eventually hand it into the office like he said he would, admittedly about 12 hours later than he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Because i'm a very politically incorrect person :pac:

The reason I mentioned it was because if I didn't i'd put a bet with you that i'd be asked if he/she was Irish or foreign, I was only answering the question before it was asked

The question would be rascist and you don't have to answer it.
    This whole thread is a bit dodgy.

The underlying message is:
    "Most black people steal. Oh I was just joking did you not see my laugh marks you idiot. hahaha"

Dodgy!

• Advertisement

po0k wrote: »
    And the moral?
    Don't lose your bloody phone.
    FACT!
    JustMary wrote: »
    A tip for when you lose your phone in a taxi: try getting a friend to text it with a message like "This phone is lost, if you find if please ring XX on YYY".
    That's great thinking - would you beliebe we think alike?! ;) I was gonna txt my phone and say "ring xx number if you find this phone i'll give €xx reward for it's return, i'll even collect it"
    cL0h wrote: »
    This whole thread is a bit dodgy.
    Oi, fcuk you, I was born SLIPPY, not DODGY! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Same thing happened to me (just take gardaí out of picture). Sound guy dropped it to my door. The fair would have been around €30 and all. Dead sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Oh my god a black taxi garda! fordiners took two of our jabbbs now what bastards.

Free vasectomy for anyone who actually thinks all black taxi drivers and gardai are cnuts.

I think it's common decency to NOT ROB SOMEONE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Das Kitty wrote: »
    But are you black??

No but I am English :L

Advertisement