Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is the better Driver? Country or City Drivers!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Berty wrote: »
    I find it the opposite. A country driver is more likely to salute you for no apparent reason other than that of saying hello. People walking on the roads salute drivers and vice versa.

Very true, but sadly it is dying out!
    The only time I ever got saluted in Dublin(biggest city so best example) was not to say hello, rather something else.

I work in dublin 5 days a week most weeks, and have to say they are courteous when you give them a chance, but infuriate easily if you are slow to move out when they let you. You get used to the standard of driving expected of you in the cities. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

House wrote: »
    Very true, but sadly it is dying out!

The area it is most prevalent still is south West Limerick and North and North West Cork County. Around the areas of Newmarket, Boherbue, Kanturk, Ballingarry, etc etc. Every other person salutes you.

Even people out cutting their grass will salute you when driving past. I was with a friend down from Galway and she was blown away.

"How do you know all those people?" After explaining that is the way nice people act she told her bemused Galway City friends all about those weird country folk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I find it the opposite. A country driver is more likely to salute you for no apparent reason other than that of saying hello. People walking on the roads salute drivers and vice versa.

I used to get this a lot, not as much anymore. I think it's more of a cultural thing that driver courtesy. As in they are saluting you as they would walking by you. It would be confusing and difficult to salute everyone you see driving through Dublin or Cork or Belfast.

Now, try and get do a right from a small road to a larger road, in Dublin people will leave a gap for you to get out, the cars going the same direction (that you want to go) will see whats going on and flash you out. This happens a lot in Dublin, hardly ever happens when I drive around Galway or the midlands. The last time I was in Tuam I was waiting to get out of a small road in heavy traffic and the cars pulled up bumper to bumper so I couldn't get out and then completely avoided eye contact with me! You don't really get that in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The area it is most prevalent still is south West Limerick and North and North West Cork County. Around the areas of Newmarket, Boherbue, Kanturk, Ballingarry, etc etc. Every other person salutes you.

That's weird, I have the most trouble with C reg drivers while driving through North Central and North West Cork on journeys. They never let anybody pass them normally. What's the story there?

I find WX, WW, D and KE drivers the most courteous and willing to allow someone pass by utilising the hard shoulder, and CW, W/WD, KK, & C drivers the most ignorant and least likely to let you overtake. (I mean of course, on the balance of experience, not absolute terms)

Every other person salutes you.

That's just a cultural thing. You simply couldn't do this in any city.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    That's just a cultural thing. You simply couldn't do this in any city.

You could but you would be eventually arrested. Somebody would eventually claim you were sexually harassing them.

House wrote: »
    I find WX, WW, D and KE drivers the most courteous and willing to allow someone pass by utilising the hard shoulder, and CW, W/WD, KK, & C drivers the most ignorant and least likely to let you overtake. (I mean of course, on the balance of experience, not absolute terms)

If you are running low on tar for your brush................................lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Have you ever stopped to let someone out, only for him to stop a little futher down an let someone else out, then that person lets some one out and it keeps repeating until your sitting in a traffic jam you caused!!!!

Eye contact is bad, it causes traffic jams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

MYOB wrote: »
    We have deer in Dublin too! Have seen the results of a few car + deer mashes in the park before...

in fairness, its harder to stop for a deer while driving at 80KPH on a country road than it is driving at 40KPH in a city

Ya and this deer had friends with him, had to use the handbrake and slide the car a bit,
    friend of mine was driving on the same road when a deer ran into the side of his transit!

• Advertisement

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Eye contact is bad, it causes traffic jams

You are proving my point about not so altruistic rural drivers.

Would you consider getting up earlier?

You lost me! get up early for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

You are dead right about drivers driving in the city and not really knowing where they are going, its a nightmare for them. But you will find Dublin and Belfast drivers let them in and out of lanes anyway.

I've not found that in Dublin ever.
    I think bad Positioning is the cause of alot of accidents, some people just come round bends on the middle of the road, and look at you like you have 2 heads when you flash your lights and head for the ditch, to avoid a head on!

Maybe they're looking at you like you've two heads cause they're thinking "damn my road positioning is really poor and now I can't see the edge of the road cause this fool is blinding me with his full beams".

Have you ever stopped to let someone out, only for him to stop a little futher down an let someone else out, then that person lets some one out and it keeps repeating until your sitting in a traffic jam you caused!!!!

No.

I have lived in Dublin and Wexford and I think I can safely say both places have a polar opposite approach to driving. Dublin drivers have a fairly high skill level coupled with virtually no patience or regard for the safety of more vulnerable road users :confused:. Wexford drivers have a worringly low skill level but since many streets are only wide enough for one car and piedestrians are virtually sucicidal in their cavalier approach to the safe cross code :p drivers develop lots of patience and a high degree of caution for vulnerable road users (except cycles and motorcycles which seem to baffle them).:rolleyes:

Wexford is the only place I've had to contact the Guards over someone driving in a way that put me at risk though. :mad:

I always try to dip my beams just before the oncoming car comes into view, but i make an exception when someone waits til last minute to dip theirs,completly blinding me in the process, in that case i flick full beams back on and leave them on!

May i also add that in my experience D reg cars seem to know what they are doing where ever i meet them.
    C reg drivers are very fast and impatient
    WX drivers are slow, but TN driversare the slowest ever
    I am TS myself and open to your views on TS drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I always try to dip my beams just before the oncoming car comes into view, but i make an exception when someone waits til last minute to dip theirs,completly blinding me in the process, in that case i flick full beams back on and leave them on!
    I usually hesitate and think before admitting any very bad driving habits I might have on an internet forum...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I guess the answer lies in the stats, people in rural areas are dying in their cars every weekend, not as many are dying in the big city areas.

Doesn't take a genious to figure that one out though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I saw a KK reg weaving in and out of traffic this morning and he nearly caused a massive pile up.. Friggin Hillbillies.

I am TS myself and open to your views on TS drivers

I cover ground on most of the country and its rare enough to meet a TS driver. You must clearly never leave the south very often and I live in TN. My friend has a TS Passatt and is a crazy driver but he was always slightly mad anyway. Those steroids messed up the best years of his life. Silly boy :mad:

I've not found that in Dublin ever.

I see it every day! OK, you will get the odd fool who just won't merge or let people change lane, but in the main, Dublin drivers will let cars in front of them if they indicate properly and aren't blatantly taking the piss by shooting up a bus/left only lane and nipping in at the last minute or something.

Younger drivers are the best usually. The fifty somethings can be dreadfull sometimes... they simply don't understand and seem to think that "some fvker is trying to get in front of me!!!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

im a delivery driver in galway, but learned to drive on country roads where im from. i have driven tractors vans and rigids and find city drivers dont understand that something bigger than you needs a little more space. city drivers will take up half the road where ever there isnt a line and iv had close calls with heavy loads and no verges. but country drivers in the city have no consideration for someone behind them on roads with more then one lane as they seem to stradle the white line and not realise your there. But the worst has to be rental cars. Why does it seem like people who shouldnt drive in their own country rent a car on holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I see it every day! OK, you will get the odd fool who just won't merge or let people change lane, but in the main, Dublin drivers will let cars in front of them if they indicate properly and aren't blatantly taking the piss by shooting up a bus/left only lane and nipping in at the last minute or something.

Younger drivers are the best usually. The fifty somethings can be dreadfull sometimes... they simply don't understand and seem to think that "some fvker is trying to get in front of me!!!" :D

But its their road!! and if they pretend not to see you and stare straight ahead they cant see you therefore you do not exist...and if you dont exist they are perfectly entitled to indicate at the last possible second and change lanes.

Ok bertie maybe not all TN drivers are slow but a hell of alot of them are!
    Watch and see for yourself, For some reason the worst offenders seem to be avensis drivers, but only if the car has a tow bar fitted!
    Im not joking, its true!

Advertisement