Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mulled wine - help

Options
  • 22-12-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

hi, follwed a recipe that included 3 pints of water for the syrup which could be made in advance and then the 2 bottles wine added later. i thought the water would reduce (after simmering for 30mins). it didn't really so still a lot of water! don't want to water the wine down too much. is that normal, or do i just start again, with less water?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Personally, I wouldn't add any water - the sugar will dissolve in the warmed wine (be careful not to boil off the alcohol).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I am also attempting the mulled wine for the first time this year, my uncle makes a great batch, tastes amazing but is strong!

6 bottles of red wine, 1.5 pints water ,1.5 pints orange juice smooth, 2 apples 2 oranges cut into chunks put whole cloves into them, 6 cinnamon sticks ( or cinnamon powder) nutmeg as well , half bottle brandy half bottle rum (old Jamaican black sea dog rum but as long as it's black rum its ok) add brown sugar to taste. You can put in more orange juice and wine the main thing is to kill the taste of the brandy and rum .

Now looking at heating from other recipes heat the water and OJ first to a boil, take off the heat to add the wine and just keep warm to the touch from there on as the alcohol will boil away. then add the brandy and Rum. Its great stuff so i hope i can get it right!!

Advertisement