Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make me like....

• 22-12-2008 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

....brussel sprouts!!!

It's that time of the year and they have appeared in the fridge again :mad:

But I hate them. They are baby cabbages and I hate grown up cabbages too!

I saw James Martin I think, shredding them and stir frying them with bacon or something before but only caught the tail end of the recipe.

Please help me love them...at the moment they are just tiny evil balls of waterlogged poison in my world!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just don't overcook them!

Try anything enough times and you'll grow to like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭laura1408

mmmmmmmmmmm coat ur sprouts in some honey mustard and bake in the oven till there crispy....... thats how i eat mine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Steam them until tender. Meanwhile, fry some bacon lardons in plenty of butter and, if you've got them, add some chopped, cooked chestnuts. Toss your steamed sprouts into the pan with the bacon mixture and coat evenly. Add a dash of black pepper. Poyfick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

If sprouts were edible food, people would eat them more than once a year ;)

Like christmas pudding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

It's not an overcooking thing olaola..I trained as a chef when I left school so can cook well...it's just the evil taste of them! (My family cooking them is another story though!)

But I feel I should try to grow to love them cos they are so good for you....

Thanks for the other suggestions...will print this out and give them a shot!

Though deep down inside I think I am with rockbeer on it...cos I feel the same way about christmas pudding :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Don't overcook them, drain them and then stir in a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and little bits of the ham.

I hate Christmas pudding too - yuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some people just can't eat them at all, they're what are called "super tasters", and there's something in sprouts that tastes absolutely disgusting to them Same story with coriander leaves. Glad to say I'm not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rockbeer wrote: »
    If sprouts were edible food, people would eat them more than once a year ;)

Like christmas pudding.
    I hate most "christmas food", hate christmas cake & pudding, mince pies, sprouts, salmon & christmas turkey (though I cook turkey myself which I like, i.e. not dry beyond belief, fried).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

"tiny evil balls of waterlogged poison"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Alun wrote: »
    Some people just can't eat them at all, they're what are called "super tasters", and there's something in sprouts that tastes absolutely disgusting to them Same story with coriander leaves. Glad to say I'm not one of them.

I thought I was one of these super-tasters because I detest cucumber and can taste it in a salad even if the cucumber pieces have been removed, but I love brussels! My sister is the opposite - loves cucumber and hates the poor sprout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's not even as simple as saying all "supertasters" will hate sprouts. Basically, there's an enzyme in sprouts (whose name escapes me right now) which only some people can taste, and if you're one of those people, you are never going to like sprouts no matter how much you dress them up.

Just pass them over and have more of something else instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

rubadub wrote: »
    I hate most "christmas food", hate christmas cake & pudding, mince pies, sprouts, salmon & christmas turkey (though I cook turkey myself which I like, i.e. not dry beyond belief, fried).
    I think you're the first person I've ever encountered to say they hate salmon :eek:

I'm not too mad on the Christmas cake and pudding myself. I wouldn't say I don't like them but really I don't see the point in eating them when there's so so so much nicer food around in the form of massive tins of chocolate, as well as all the yummy chocolatey desserts I'm making sure to make for myself, while the mother sticks to her pudding and mince pies.

On topic: I LOVE Brussels Sprouts. They're lovely with a little butter and a lot of chopped almonds. The vegetables are almost my favourite part of the Christmas dinner main course :)

Hhmmm Honey-ec...you've made me think now! Maybe I am one of these people....my throat literally closes over when I put one in my mouth. Thought it was all those years of being made to sit there until I'd eaten my veg :o Now I can say there is a biological reason as to why I can't eat them :D

I eat healthily normally but I'm really not a meat and two veg type of dinner lover. I always have a huge Chinese meal on the day after Boxing Day and look forward to this more than the turkey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Curvy Vixen, don't torture yourself - cook something you really love on Christmas day :).

I've replaced the turkey with marinated loin of pork because we don't like turkey.

Curvy Vixen, don't torture yourself - cook something you really love on Christmas day :).

I've replaced the turkey with marinated loin of pork because we don't like turkey.

Feck it, you're right! I go to my Mum and Dad's on Xmas day so no real choice on the food front...except I have a plate full of sausage meat stuffing, stuffing balls and honey parsnips :D

But I'm seriously going to take this printout with me on Thursday and offer to do the sprouts before they get drowned to death in a watery pool of fermented water!

Thanks to all....and one of two things will happen...either you's will have convinced me to love 'em with these recipes or my new years resolution is gonna be to become a sprout murderer :eek::D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We had them last night in a new and interesting way.

Fry bacon lardons in pot.
    Add brussel sprouts and water to the bacon and boil dry. (not a lot of water needed)
    Mash up the sprouts and add a couple of tablespoons of creme fraiche (4 tblsp per 500g of sprouts).
    Mix it all up together, add spring onions/chives and season to taste.

Was a pretty edible way of eating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Really enjoyed the sprouts today, shredded them up on the chopping board, fried some chopped garlic in olive oil in a smoking hot wok, then stir fried them for a couple of minutes with some chopped almonds, delicious.
    Didn't taste like farts at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Advertisement