Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracksuits iIn A Pub

Options
  • 22-12-2008 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

So basically last night, i'm walking home from playing football, and out of the blue, a friend rings me asking me down the pub for a session. I thought great
    , but there was only one problem, I'm dressed head to toe in addidas. The pub was on the way home, so I decide instead of going home and getting changed, and wasting half an hour drinking time, I'll chance getting in as I am, sure I was a regular there and knew the owners well enough.

And you know what? It felt f/ucking fantastic. I can honestly say I never felt as comfortable on a night out before. There was a nice cool breeze that mixed well with the warmth of the pub, and because I was wearing loose fitting clothes, I felt all of it. Had a great night

Now, I'm sure if some on here had seen me decked out in a tracksuit, I'd be battered over the head with the AH steriotype stick, and labelled a scumbag, thick, unemployed, etc. But I can honestly say if these jibes are the price to pay for that comfort, than so be it. I'll be wearing tracksuit bottoms in my local from now on, unless I'm told otherwise by the owners.

Would you ever wear a tracksuit in a pub? 185 votes

Yes
    0% 1 vote
    No
    23% 43 votes
    Depends on the situation
    76% 141 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You thick, unemployed scumbag. How dare you be so thick, unemployed and scumbagish.

That'll learn ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You should change the poll question to ''would you ever wear a tracksuit?''

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd never wear a full tracksuit anyway but have no problem wearing the bottoms and a t-shirt to the pub if it's in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I think the question that needs to be asked is,

Was you tracksuit white?

I think you'd get away with a navy or black one easy enough without been stamped with the scoob stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'll wear whatever the fcuk i want, wherever the fcuk i want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sportsclothes are for sport. Your situation is fine but I wouldn't get dressed for the pub and put on a tracksuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Did you tuck your tracksuit bottoms into your socks?

Did you have a hood up only halfway up your head.

Then and only then padawan will you be a true tracksuit badge carrying waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

When I'm in comfort mode, I switch to tracky bottoms.
    I've no problem drinking in comfort mode.
    It's more comfortable.

And besides OP - in your original situation, if you'd gone home to change, you'd in effect have been dressing up to go for a pint with your mate.
    Now in my books, unless your mate happens to be a scorching hot bird you are trying to score, dressing up for her isn't required; dressing up for him is a little gay wouldn't you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I'm dressed head to toe in addidas.

Can't afford the real stuff? ;)

Apart from lounging around at home, tracksuits should only be worn by those coming or going from a sports event that they have taken part in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I don't even own a tracksuit. Haven't worn one since I was about 14. Don't like them.

If I did own one and somehow happened to be wearing it *shudder* then I'd only go to the pub for one or two drinks if it was in the afternoon. But if you came in to my bar in tracksuit after 6pm-7pm I'd ask you to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

When I'm not in work clothes I'm wearing tracksuits.

It's more comfortable. That's all that's important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'm wearing tracksuit pants now, its a lazy day.

They're nice ones though, Fat pants i like to call them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Can't afford the real stuff? ;)

Apart from lounging around at home, tracksuits should only be worn by those coming or going from a sports event that they have taken part in.

Totally agree.

It is only acceptable to wear a tracksuit in a pub if you’re coming from playing sport. Otherwise if you walk into a pub with a gleaming tracksuit you look like a sham. You're just short of wear a burberry cap and thick gold chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I added another option to the poll.

I wear a tracksuit for work and would have no problem head to the pub in those clothes if I ended up working late and just wanted a couple of late drinks.

My local is fairly laid back when it comes to things like that.
    Most peoplle there would make an effort, but wouldn't pass judgement on someone in work clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I'll be wearing tracksuit bottoms in my local from now on, unless I'm told otherwise by the owners.

Oh tracksuit bottoms?? Why didn't you say so. You know you're a very misleading person you unemployed piece of scum!! If you had said you were wearing tracksuit bottoms then I would have voted yes but I was picturing a full on tracksuit my God. And yet at one point you said "top to bottom in Adidas" like ffs tell your story right you lovely person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

jaysus!!

Who rattled her cage.???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jaysus!!

Who rattled her cage.???
    Reports suggest it was her ghey brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

On a Saturday afternoon I would. I don't see a problem with it. When heading out for the night I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

jaysus!!

Who rattled her cage.???

I reckon its a festive hangover...or pms

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

jaysus!!

Who rattled her cage.???

Maybe nobody. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Oh tracksuit bottoms?? Why didn't you say so. You know you're a very misleading person you unemployed piece of scum!! If you had said you were wearing tracksuit bottoms then I would have voted yes but I was picturing a full on tracksuit my God. And yet at one point you said "top to bottom in Adidas" like ffs tell your story right you jerk.
    Cheeky_gal. Been a while.
    Banned for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'll wear whatever the fcuk i want, wherever the fcuk i want.

A lot of places won't mind, but most pubs in cities will have a problem with it, it's not viewed as acceptable dress. Same thing as wearing jeans and runners.
    Kiera wrote: »
    Totally agree.

It is only acceptable to wear a tracksuit in a pub if you’re coming from playing sport. Otherwise if you walk into a pub with a gleaming tracksuit you look like a sham. You're just short of wear a burberry cap and thick gold chains.

I normally agree with your posts kiera but I do think that people should be allowed wear what they are comfortable with, not what society thinks they should wear in certain situations. It's very steriotypical to say someone wearing a tracksuit is a sham. Don't judge based on physical apearance, it's not nice.

My local doesn't have a dress code, wear dirty work clothes, tracksuits or a silk suit, doesn't matter. You will still get your pint once you are respectable and don't act the eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoMiLe

Zebra3 wrote: »

A knacker dressed in Gucci is still a ****ing knacker. And it works both ways.

So if I want to wear a tracksuit wherever and whenever I want then I will. And if you judge me for that then I don't want to know you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I normally agree with your posts kiera but I do think that people should be allowed wear what they are comfortable with, not what society thinks they should wear in certain situations. It's very steriotypical to say someone wearing a tracksuit is a sham. Don't judge based on physical apearance, it's not nice.

My local doesn't have a dress code, wear dirty work clothes, tracksuits or a silk suit, doesn't matter. You will still get your pint once you are respectable and don't act the eejit.

Just to clarify here, having a dress code is used by alot of pubs to keep certain kinds of people out. For example, your typical little scumbag might be found in a tracksuit and trainers, so by denying entry to all people wearing a tracksuit or trainers you become able to refuse entry to someone 'you don't like the look of' without setting yourself up for a case by the Equality Commission or something similar.

Now, obviously some people that may be perfectly desirable clientelle otherwise do get hit with the flack on this, but such is life (According to the Equal Status act a rule with regards to dress code etc has to be accross the board. If someone I suspected was a trouble maker was stopped at the door for wearing runners, and he was able to provide evidence that there were other patrons wearing runners that night I could get myself in trouble.)

I realise that this tactic may be unfair, and you may see it as wrong, but the fact is it works. If 90% of drug dealers started wearing watches on both wrists at the same time, you can be pretty certain that most pubs would have the practice banned within a week. It's used because it works, or at least gives the publicians the impression that it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

tracksuit bottoms ive no problem with, full tracksuit what are you 12 ?

But more importantly than that what about the stink off you after playing footy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Never mind tracksuits.. I have been in some pubs where there are women wearing Pyjamas :D

But more importantly than that what about the stink off you after playing footy ?

Some clubs have showers. My rugby club used to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

RoMiLe wrote: »
    Some clubs have showers. My rugby club used to have one.

They removed them because nobody used them? :P

OEB, I know how it works, I was a barman in many differant pubs for years. I am saying, calling people scumbags because they wear tracksuits is just wrong.

One of the main reasons any of the pubs I worked in had a dress code was not to keep the scum out, as they too wear respectable clothes, but to keep an image. Having a kind of image in a certain pub may be very important. Weekends are also differant to mid week (Student pubs). Having no dress code also works. Very few scumbags go to my local because it simply doesn't appeal to them, although you will find people from all walks of life, all generations too their.

They removed them because nobody used them? :P

No, I stopped playing rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

If it was during the week and i was going down for a quite pint or two i wouldnt mind wearing a tracksuit bottoms but on a proper night out they are a no no!!

Advertisement