Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracksuits iIn A Pub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Rabies wrote: »
    But if you came in to my bar in tracksuit after 6pm-7pm I'd ask you to leave.

I think I know your pub! Is it called The High Horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

They removed them because nobody used them? :P

OEB, I know how it works, I was a barman in many differant pubs for years. I am saying, calling people scumbags because they wear tracksuits is just wrong.

One of the main reasons any of the pubs I worked in had a dress code was not to keep the scum out, as they too wear respectable clothes, but to keep an image. Having a kind of image in a certain pub may be very important. Weekends are also differant to mid week (Student pubs). Having no dress code also works. Very few scumbags go to my local because it simply doesn't appeal to them, although you will find people from all walks of life, all generations too their.

Sorry Erik Slimy Rosebush, that post was not directed specificially at you, but more at the thread in general. Yours was just the last post to touch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

theres nothin wrong with wearin a tracksuit in a pub imo, you go to chill out have a pint-whether after sport or if thats just your day to day clothes whats the problem!
    i do think that most people dont like dressing up the same as they used to-sometimes i love this and sometimes i think itd be nice to put on some nice clothes and go out instead of feelng overdressed if your wearing anything other than jeans and a top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Tracksuits are for going to and from sport, if that means a post sport pint then so be it. I remember a time when a game was always followed with both teams going for pints in the home team's local. To intentionally wear a tracksuit going out otherwise is not on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I normally agree with your posts kiera but I do think that people should be allowed wear what they are comfortable with, not what society thinks they should wear in certain situations. It's very steriotypical to say someone wearing a tracksuit is a sham. Don't judge based on physical apearance, it's not nice.

My local doesn't have a dress code, wear dirty work clothes, tracksuits or a silk suit, doesn't matter. You will still get your pint once you are respectable and don't act the eejit.
    What I was trying to say was for example: Some sham walking into a pub with a white Nike tracksuit, gold chains, burberry cap, bottoms tucked into runners just doesn’t look very nice. Call me a snob but it just doesn’t wash with me. I have tracksuits but I wear them around the house or maybe a quick pop down to the local shop but would never wear a tracksuit to a pub. I’m just picturing someone walking in at 8 in the evening all dressed up in a tracksuit for a night out.

Its totally different if the person wearing the tracksuit is coming from work like Terry or has been playing football in the pitches!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Depends what pub,Parnell Mooney-Yes,Shellborne Hotel-No,well actually Id like to do a swap round,wear a Louis Copeland complete with top-hat and cape in the Mooney and an Illumionous Nike Air Max tracksuit with huge peaked Adidas baseball hat,happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

But more importantly than that what about the stink off you after playing footy ?

Where I was playing football, there was full shower facilities, and I used them. Also, I wasn't actually playing in those particular clothes.

Some interestig comments here. I'm also not one to give a damn what "society" says I should wear. If I'm making an impression on someone, like a job interview, wedding, funeral or a date - or if the rules state a dress code, I will follow a dress code, and won't wear tracksuits. But if there is none, why shouldn't I wear whatever I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Scootay wrote: »
    Tracksuits are for going to and from sport, if that means a post sport pint then so be it. I remember a time when a game was always followed with both teams going for pints in the home team's local. To intentionally wear a tracksuit going out otherwise is not on though.

How is it 'not on'? According to who? Anyone who gets so uptight about what other people wear should really just mind their own business. Whether you feel like wearing a tracksuit or a €10,000 suit, it really shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kiera wrote: »
    What I was trying to say was for example: Some sham walking into a pub with a white Nike tracksuit, gold chains, burberry cap, bottoms tucked into runners just doesn’t look very nice. Call me a snob but it just doesn’t wash with me. I have tracksuits but I wear them around the house or maybe a quick pop down to the local shop but would never wear a tracksuit to a pub. I’m just picturing someone walking in at 8 in the evening all dressed up in a tracksuit for a night out.

Its totally different if the person wearing the tracksuit is coming from work like Terry or has been playing football in the pitches!

Why?

Why?

Are you taking the piss? I've just explained why. You think going out for the night all dressed up in a fancy tracksuit is a good look? Do you also think wearing a pair of pj's in the pub is alright too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Are you taking the piss? I've just explained why. You think going out for the night all dressed up in a fancy tracksuit is a good look? Do you also think wearing a pair of pj's in the pub is alright too?

Who gives a shíte whether anyone else thinks it's a 'good look'?

It's a pub, not a cat walk.

Wow, relax there will ya? I am asking why to what I highlighted in bold, why it's ok to wear a tracksuit after playing sports as oppose to not playing sports.

I don't agree with the burberry, tons of gold jewelry and head to toe in tracksuit either, I also don't agree with discriminating against people who wear certain types of clothing. I perfectly agree with dress codes and the respectable look. Don't say that people wearing certain types of clothing are any differant than the rest of us. It's a generalisation. It may be a fact that the prefered item of clothing for scumbags and drugdealers is the burberry cap and tracksuit, but it is not fair to brand all who wear this type of clothing as scumbags and drug dealers...

I notice one thing though, in Dublin there are very few pubs that will allow you in with that attire, but in Carlow there isn't a problem. Some of the clubs might have a problem, but the majority of pubs are fine. I was never refused from anywhere for wearing a tracksuit bottoms.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Who gives a shíte whether anyone else thinks it's a 'good look'?

It's a pub, not a cat walk.

Hey, guess what? Its my opinion. Get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Hey, guess what? Its my opinion. Get over it!

Touchy subject eh?

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Touchy subject eh?

Haha not really. My little bro dresses like that i have no problem calling him a sham everyday :)

If he walked into a pub dressed in his usual sham uniform i'd drag him out by the ears.

Cianos wrote: »
    How is it 'not on'? According to who? Anyone who gets so uptight about what other people wear should really just mind their own business. Whether you feel like wearing a tracksuit or a €10,000 suit, it really shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    It's quite simple really. If you're going to go out and meet people the least you can do is show them some respect by making an effort about your appearance and attire. Wearing clothing designed for sport isn't really making that effort, unless you are meeting them for sport, and as such is showing a lack of respect. What other people think only matters if you want to spend time in their company. If they are all wearing €10,000 suits and you wear a tracksuit you may not find yourself invited out again.

It's quite simple really. If you're going to go out and meet people the least you can do is show them some respect by making an effort about your appearance and attire. Wearing clothing designed for sport isn't really making that effort, unless you are meeting them for sport, and as such is showing a lack of respect. What other people think only matters if you want to spend time in their company. If they are all wearing €10,000 suits and you wear a tracksuit you may not find yourself invited out again.

Eh, they are not your friends. Work colleagues or clientel, fine they have the right to feel disrespected. Your friends? Nah, you need new ones mate.

It seems to be a real problem in Dublin, Cork too maybe? I think it's hilarious that you must have a respectable image but yet you are allowed get completely ratarsed and make a show of yourself... a bit hypocritical isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If they are all wearing €10,000 suits and you wear a tracksuit you may not find yourself invited out again.

Oh noes.

Well if you're the reason that the group are stopped entering a night club because you fail the dress code time and time again you'll either be told to cop on and leave the tracksuit at home or you'll just be left at home.

Being completely ratarsed and making a show of yourself is hardly having a respectable image so hypocrisy doesn't enter into it. That's touching on another issue though to do with the Irish not having a problem drinking, just a problem stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

I for one welcome my new €10,000 suit wearing overlords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Eh, they are not your friends. Work colleagues or clientel, fine they have the right to feel disrespected. Your friends? Nah, you need new ones mate.

It seems to be a real problem in Dublin, Cork too maybe? I think it's hilarious that you must have a respectable image but yet you are allowed get completely ratarsed and make a show of yourself... a bit hypocritical isn't it?

If one of mates came down to the pub in a tracksuit we'd all rip the piss outta him. If were out watching a bit of ball a few of us would wear a jersey and jeans but if you're down the pub on a saturday night or whatever its good to put in the effort. Also, why are you assuming everybody that goes to the pub is gonna get ratarsed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Madou

Depends on which pub - depends on what time of day - depends on the social context - depends on the tracksuit - depends on condition of tracksuit - depends on wearer of tracksuit - :confused::confused::confused: - hmm too many variables, but good subject for a thread that could go on and on and on and on......

Well if you're the reason that the group are stopped entering a night club because you fail the dress code time and time again you'll either be told to cop on and leave the tracksuit at home or you'll just be left at home.

Being completely ratarsed and making a show of yourself is hardly having a respectable image so hypocrisy doesn't enter into it. That's touching on another issue though to do with the Irish not having a problem drinking, just a problem stopping.

I have often gone into clubs and left people outside because they didn't get in wearing runners. You know what clubs and pubs you can get into, saying that I would never wear a tracksuit bottoms into a club.
    If one of mates came down to the pub in a tracksuit we'd all rip the piss outta him. If were out watching a bit of ball a few of us would wear a jersey and jeans but if you're down the pub on a saturday night or whatever its good to put in the effort. Also, why are you assuming everybody that goes to the pub is gonna get ratarsed?

You're making assumptions, were did I say everyone. That's right, I didn't. What I said was:

I think it's hilarious that you must have a respectable image but yet you are allowed get completely ratarsed and make a show of yourself

Suggesting that you are not allowed to get into a pub based on image, yet you are allowed to get ratarsed. People drinking too much getting rat arsed do not give good impressions and do not have a respectable image.

I don't see a problem if someone wants to wear what they want in a pub, obviously people will put in the effort going to a club. Depending on the night, my company and what pub I chose to go to, I will wear what I see to be acceptable. If you don't like it, you can ressume the position of your nose, in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Tracksuits FTW.

I've gone to all kinds of social events in tracksuits and hoodies.

I've even gone into work in my famed "white knight" trackie.

I'd rather sit in a bar with someone sound wearing a trackie than some tool in a suit.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Tracksuits FTW.

I've gone to all kinds of social events in tracksuits and hoodies.

I've even gone into work in my famed "white knight" trackie.

I'd rather sit in a bar with someone sound wearing a trackie than some tool in a suit.

WOOHOO, some wisdom at last.

WOOHOO, some wisdom at last.

Ah come on. Have you not seen where he’s from? :P

Oh, I agree. If there are rules against the wearing of tracksuits (which lets face, is 99% of nightclubs or city pubs), I wont wear them. If there are no rules against, then why shouldn't I wear them?

I disagree with you that it is showing my friends disrespect by wearing tracksuits in their company in a pub, I know for a fact that my friends wouldn't care. I wear what I wear for my convenience, not anybody else's. A bit of light hearted banter is okay, but if a 'friend' had a serious problem with me wearing a tracksuit, I'd tell them where to go.

Australia? :pac:

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Australlia? :pac:

He's not actually from Oz. just living there :P

• Advertisement

I know, and the steriotypes begin :P

Are there any clubs that you know that allow you wear tracksuits or work clothes? This is a question for everyone. I know a few clubs that do, but they are all down the country (Carlow to be specific). See if your not a trouble maker then it doesn't matter so much. Most places in Dublin have this immage thing going on. It wouldn't be good for them for people to wear certain types of clothes.

If a club has a dress code then you should abide by the rules and wear what they want you to wear to get into that club.

I do have completely differant opinions for clubs and pubs, I know... but there is a differance.

Advertisement