Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January "Sales" - North and South Discussion

Options
  • 22-12-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭

Its quite unbelievable at the moment the way the shops are doing massive sales in the week run up to Christmas.

I wonder if this gives them any wiggle room for January. With this in mind, do you guys think its worth bothering to hold out for the "sales" as a consumer, with specific reference to the North?

George Lee-esque depressing statements welcome :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I can almost see the taffic jams heading north on Friday already !!!!!

I'd say a fair few will head north on St. Stephan's day for the start of the sales. Nothing on the telly, pub's closed in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

calex71 wrote: »
    I can almost see the taffic jams heading north on Friday already !!!!!

I'd say a fair few will head north on St. Stephan's day for the start of the sales. Nothing on the telly, pub's closed in Dublin.

If gong North (don't agree with it personally but that's another story...) better be quick if you are after anything Imported to Britain as suppliers have already indicated a min 30% increase in prices due to the weak Sterling exchange rate versus Eur, Dollar, and Yen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

not heading up myself but that 30% will take the wind out of the sails so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was watching Sky News and the stores are starting their sales on Stephens Day(well they called it Boxing day obviously)
    Stores are desperate for business, now or late December is as good as waiting for January

Obligatory George Lee-esqe statement: Don’t buy now, wait for the bankruptcy & liquidation sales! :cool:
    It was in the Independant that one third of retail stores will be gone by Easter. I can't quite believe it but sure look at Woolworths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I'm waiting for the Jan sales in the North ... I want to update my wardrobe ... it's in need of a good sort out and if the sales are good then I'll be a happy camper.

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

RiverWilde wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the Jan sales in the North ... I want to update my wardrobe ... it's in need of a good sort out and if the sales are good then I'll be a happy camper.

Riv

You must have some size of a tent to fit a wardrobe into it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's rumoured 30% off shops will close before Easter.

So some are trying to sell of stock before they go under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed what'll happen is as stock is cleared banks will not offer credit to replenish the shelves and the first 2/3 months of 2009 will see a flood of closures it'll be mainly independents of course so the range of shops will narrow greatly, thus helping those that survive to put the squeeze on consumers when there is an upturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

retailers in the uk are having a hard time like our own and all are running janurary sales in december, the only people who are not are the northern retailers and they dont need to as us southerns are going up in our droves paying the asking price.

i can see small sales in Janurary wouldnt hold out for much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

calex71 wrote: »

I'd say a fair few will head north on St. Stephan's day for the start of the sales.

Don't head to Enniskillen that day, 2 hour drive last year to find about 3 shops open, no major ones except, wait for it, Woolworths. Will miss that shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement