Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tapas Bar - Off Tullow Street

• 22-12-2008 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone been to the Tapas Bar opposite the Cathederal ? Is it run by the guy who ran La Strada ?

Rgds

Caroline

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Am a regular! food is fantastic, all local and a lot from the farmers market which is good to see. the wine isn't too bad either:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

ive never been in it, but my god i do miss la strada food, if it's run by him I'd definitely go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carolinei

Hi Patrick,

I'm the same I used to Love the food in la strada. We are going to go in between Christmas and the New year if they are open.

Looking forward it now !!

Rgds

Caroline

carolinei wrote: »
    Hi Patrick,

I'm the same I used to Love the food in la strada. We are going to go in between Christmas and the New year if they are open.

Looking forward it now !!

Rgds

Caroline

hope it's good Caroline, be sure to post back and let us know your thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Been there twice now was in it before it became the tapas bar also. New Mgt now i think. Wine is great, food ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

any chance of a more detailed review from those who have been there?

whats on the menu? what wine is nice? what is the service like? what would you recommend? what is the atmosphere like?

cheers

Hi All,

Well, the restaurant is called Mimosa. I went in today with my 4 year old daughter to check out booking a table, and I have to say, was met by a very pleasant women who asked could she help. In NO way did she look at my daughter and think, 'Oh great, a kid this hour of the evening'.

You don't have to book, there are around 8 - 9 Tables. The menu looked good, there was looking quickly around 15 items on the list and the smell of food was fantastic. I was in at around 6.30 and there were 4 tables that had people at them.

We are going in next Friday, so I am really looking forward to it. I will let you know after dinner.

Rgds

Carolinei

Hi All,

Well, the restaurant is called Mimosa. I went in today with my 4 year old daughter to check out booking a table, and I have to say, was met by a very pleasant women who asked could she help. In NO way did she look at my daughter and think, 'Oh great, a kid this hour of the evening'.

You don't have to book, there are around 8 - 9 Tables. The menu looked good, there was looking quickly around 15 items on the list and the smell of food was fantastic. I was in at around 6.30 and there were 4 tables that had people at them.

We are going in next Friday, so I am really looking forward to it. I will let you know after dinner.

Rgds

Carolinei

thanks caroline, sounds good so far, keep us updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

is it a dinner only kinda place, as me and my da do this regular Friday lunch thing and we are looking for a different place to our usual brooks, thing.....

(lunch being 12-2/3pm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

I was in there with a few people before Christmas.

The tapas are nice and not too expensive. Wine is good and they also have some beer on the menu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

My wife and I were there last night and have to say loved it. Just to be clear though it is a wine bar that serves some tapas dishes. Each dish is around €5 each with a bottle of wine anywhere from €16 upwards.

we had a lovely bottle of wine (rattler) and a bottle of champagne aswell as a dish of ribs(4 ribs in portion)/brushceta/crostini bread with green olives/spicey potatoes/deep fried brie/stuffed red pepper with focatcha cheese - all were superb.

they would not take a booking though unless its for 8 or more people as the owner said they had been messed around a few times by people who mad booking and didnt show or only have showed and customers had been turned away....

looking forward to going back

Hi All,

Well, we had our dinner and here is my review : Unbiased, nothing to do with the restaurant and no affiliation ...........

Got there at 8.00 - There are 8 tables in the main area and 4 in the other part of the restaurant. Was informed that 2 tables where reserved for 8 people, but we were seated straight away.

Given a drinks menu, asked would we like some water a drink. Ordered a really good bottle of wine and asked how it works, Jules was there and told us that there were all little starters big enough for 2 and on the board and just work our way through it.

About 5 minutes later we ordered 2, then 2, then 2 then 2, then we had enough. There was enough of a time between each order that we weren't rushed, but weren't waiting.

We ordered a second bottle of wine, had the death by chocolate dessert that I could not finish - too sweet, too heavy and I love chocolate, but just couldn't finish it. And a Frangelico, which was Vanilla Ice Cream, a shot of expresso and a hazel nut shot. Now I really didn't like that BUT only because I hate anything to do with Coffee in a dessert, even though I like cappucino's etc.

By 9.00 O Clock there were turning people away, which is a good sign.

The bill came € 89.00

We ate alot, drank alot, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to go out and eat just a meat and two veg.

Presentation good, wine good, service good, cleanliness good, atmosphere good - Only complaint - Not enough of a choice ! Not a bad complaint. Believe me I am hard to please, and can be VERY picky when the mood takes me.

So yes I would recommend Mimosa off Tullow Street and I will be going back.

Rgds

C.

Hi All,

Well, we had our dinner and here is my review : Unbiased, nothing to do with the restaurant and no affiliation ...........

Got there at 8.00 - There are 8 tables in the main area and 4 in the other part of the restaurant. Was informed that 2 tables where reserved for 8 people, but we were seated straight away.

Given a drinks menu, asked would we like some water a drink. Ordered a really good bottle of wine and asked how it works, Jules was there and told us that there were all little starters big enough for 2 and on the board and just work our way through it.

About 5 minutes later we ordered 2, then 2, then 2 then 2, then we had enough. There was enough of a time between each order that we weren't rushed, but weren't waiting.

We ordered a second bottle of wine, had the death by chocolate dessert that I could not finish - too sweet, too heavy and I love chocolate, but just couldn't finish it. And a Frangelico, which was Vanilla Ice Cream, a shot of expresso and a hazel nut shot. Now I really didn't like that BUT only because I hate anything to do with Coffee in a dessert, even though I like cappucino's etc.

By 9.00 O Clock there were turning people away, which is a good sign.

The bill came € 89.00

We ate alot, drank alot, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to go out and eat just a meat and two veg.

Presentation good, wine good, service good, cleanliness good, atmosphere good - Only complaint - Not enough of a choice ! Not a bad complaint. Believe me I am hard to please, and can be VERY picky when the mood takes me.

So yes I would recommend Mimosa off Tullow Street and I will be going back.

Rgds

C.

Thanks for the great review . I'll give it a try someday in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

carolinei, would you mind giving a few examples of the type of starters on offer?

Hi, Some of the options available .

Mushroom & Goats Cheese Bruschetta
    Tomato & Garlic Bruschetta
    Prawns in a Garlic and Tomato Sauce
    Baby Back Ribs
    Chorizo Sausage with Chickpeas
    Fried Potato with a really nice paprika dip(But there was a fancier name, just can't remember)
    Cheese Platter x 2 - cost 12.00
    2 different olive dishes - but I hate olives, so can't remember the description on them.

Gosh, I can't think off the top of my head what the other 2 dishes we had, but I do remember enjoying every single one. I know as soon as I post this I will think of them, so I can edit it.

Even though we had 2 Bruschetta's they were totally different and lovely.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Caroline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

hey guys. this restaurant sounds good. wanna try it out on sunday. Opposite the cathedral so is it where the old brown street bar was? or is that still there? havent been on that street for a while...

hey guys. this restaurant sounds good. wanna try it out on sunday. Opposite the cathedral so is it where the old brown street bar was? or is that still there? havent been on that street for a while...

it's just down from the med bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

Just went there on sunday. It was very nice. Nice and quiet for a few drinks and talk.
    Bruschetta and potato was well nice. Pity they didnt have prawn that day. Hopefully they'll have more food in the future. And hope they can survive through the reccession times and in Carlow i guess. Dont know what are the demands for Tapas bars in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I went on Saturday night and it was pretty packed. We had a nice bottle of red and 6 tapas, 5 of which were absolutely delicious but I didn't like 1.

We had:
    Beef Meetballs
    Beef and Cheese Nachos
    Bruschetta (sp?)
    Salami and cheese crustini
    Falaffles (sp?)
    Traditional Spanish Tortilla

Highly recommend it.

Advertisement