Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living on a building site, what are my rights

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi,

About 2 months ago our landlord informed all tenants of the premises where I'm renting that he needed to replace the roof and that this would be done in sections, work was going to take 4 weeks. Not too happy, but it needed doing as there'd been pigeons in the attic several times and 4 weeks was bearable with having to work all hours myself anyway so wouldnt be home much.

Work started and four weeks passed....... phoned the landlord as to when they were going to be done, it was definitely going to be finished that 5th week.

That was 2 weeks ago and it has now been 6 weeks of mon-sat of hammering, etc and still no sign that they're done. Landlord has been less than helpful or forthcoming with any information as to why it was taking longer / when it was expected to be done.

Phoned the landlord again yesterday where he accused me of being inconsiderate by phoning on a Sunday.... I reminded him that it was also almost Christmas and I wanted an update as to when they're done as my holidays were starting.

Where do I stand legally as I want to be compensated for being forced to live on a building site and having my holidays ruined.

I have a good mind to simply not pay next months rent and move out at the end of January with giving him minimal notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'd talk to the owner about compensation before withholding rent. Make a fair suggestion in writing of a percentage of the total. Maybe 10% discount for every week it went over schedule.

Chances are he/she will tell you to feck off.

Advertisement