Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A taxi driver's advice to Joe Public!

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

1) To avoid being refused,never tell the driver where your going before yo
    u get in,mumble something or pretend you didnt hear him.
    2)Taxi drivers are not allowed refuse journeys of less than 35kms.If they refuse,ask them to bring you to the nearest garda station instead,this will change their attitude.

3)If you hail a Taxi from the street,or a rank the 2 euro pick up charge does not apply.
    4)Dont allow the driver to take you a way you know is longer,The passanger is entitled to choose the route.
    5)You dont have to take the first car in the rank.If the car looks grotty or the driver looks,scruffy.walk to the next car.its your right by law.
    6) If the driver is rude or bad mannered,ask for a receipt when getting out.All the details of the vehicle are printed on the receipt.Please make sure and report the driver1890 60 60 90.
    7)Never allow a taxi driver quote you a price,all fares must be calculated on the meter.make sure he uses the meter espically if your travelling out of town!.
    8)If you are over 17 you are responsible for wearing your seat belt ,not the driver.If stopped you will get the fine not the driver.
    9)If you feel sick sit by a window,if you get sick in a taxi it will cost you 140 euro,not worth it!
    10)When possible,choose a car with a company name on the roof sign,you are less lightly to be driven home by someone illegal or someone that has no idea where they are going this way!
    11) Safe and happy christmas to all who took the time to read this!!;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

KTRIC wrote: »
    Good thread :)
    Thanks,happy christmas.Most taxi drivers on the road today were not taxi drivers 3 years ago and dont have this hardened attitude that joe public are there to be exploited when not sure of their surroundings,or drunk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good advice there - What would you say for those taxi drivers who don't know where the destination is? Particularly when it should be easy - I once got a taxi driver (a Dub, I might add) who didn't know how to get from Dublin Airport to Portmarnock! :eek: I was tired, but was able to direct him but if I had been a tourist would the onus have been on me to know the way or him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

5)You dont have to take the first car in the rank.If the car looks grotty or the driver looks,scruffy.walk to the next car.its your right by law.

Has anyone ever done this I wonder??
    Surely the boys in the rank would have something to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

I will do this in future. In the past I have sat in some pretty grotty taxi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have, a few times. It doesn't bother the car you get in, might bother the one you skip out. I've never had an issue. I refuse to get into 1996 corolla's etc....

• Advertisement

Hi,I would be unusual for a driver to know every street,but a driver has no excuse for getting lost or meandering when sat nav is available,and maps are available in most shops.I always ask the passanger if there is any particular way they would like to go 1st.If im not sure of a place,ill look it up before i turn the meter on or move.Foregin passangers and country folk are very vunerable to cowboy operators.Never admitt to a taxi driver that you have no idea how to get somewhere,even if its the case.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Yes some would of course,but its only a gentlemans agreement.The law states that a passanger may choose any car they wish on a rank.So my advise would be if a driver doesnt care about himself or his car,why should a fare paying passanger care about him.

Happy121 wrote: »
    I will do this in future. In the past I have sat in some pretty grotty taxi's.
    Good for you! if more people did this maybe some of the junker drivers would sit up take notice and upgrade their cars.Irish people put up with too much crap.stand up and say im not travelling in your car,its old and dirty.Its your right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I would always ask for a receipt.

Does anyone know what happens if the guys receipt paper has run out and he can't provide you with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Quint wrote: »

Does anyone know what happens if the guys receipt paper has run out and he can't provide you with one?

ive gotten handwritten ones back in work before, for that excuse, doesn't have the licence number on it etc though.

• Advertisement

By law the driver must,on request provide you with a printed receipt from the meter.my meter wont work if there is no paper in it.The driver has plenty of notice of when the paper is running low red ink streaks appear on the paper.Ask for a hand written one with reg of vehicle, time ,date and roofsign number,if the driver refuses and you think your being ripped off,ask him to bring you to the nearest garda station.Most good drivers carry a few months supply of paper in the glove box.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

thats no excuse
    every taxi MUST be able to give you PRINTED RECIEPT
    even if the excuse is that its run out of paper then it should print off the reciept when a new one is installed [some printers differ] but the principle is much the same
    if after telling the driver this he still insists on the written one ,ask "nicely "for a pen and note pad .
    write down all the details you can ie details from his id card .[which should be on display ] the roofsign number ,where the journey started and ended [precisly] ,appox amount of time in car , the fare being charged ,
    and ask the driver to sign it
    a reciept roll costs about 1e and theres no excuse why a driver has,nt got one spare in his car .[ok he might have forgot to bring a spare]
    but the hand written one should not be just a A TO B and amount .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I am a taxi driver and let me assure you that I do it all the time. I have also gotten out of taxis that don't know the road that I live on; it's not a back street so there isn't much excuse for not knowing it.

To clarify some of OP's points;

1) A driver normally cannot refuse a journey in excess of 30KM but it can be refused with good reason. While it's not legally defined what is a good reason, I'd include heading to pick up somebody else, heading home or finishing up or refuel would probably come in as due reason. The load one can carry is also fair due to refuse; yesterday I picked up two gentlemen with a Christmas Tree that obviously can't fit onto buses or most taxis; likewise for 5 or more to travel. Also, your own state of sobriety may put off some drivers; beer goggles are mighty weapons at times.

On the getting into the car, the "contract" starts when the driver accepts you as a passenger; sitting in is not acceptance of carriage.

2) A driver is supposed to take you the route of your choosing, if you choose to do so. Do be sensible if there is a gang of you and let him do the route selection; girls are especially bad for picking aresway routes. I got three girls last Xmas who wanted Tallaght to Carpenterstown and back to Tallaght; I politely won that arguement :) If you don't know where you are in a journey, a simple "what area are we in now" should suffice.

3) If you can't print a receipt, you can't legally work. I have 9 spare rolls on hand so ask me if you need one ;) Legally you are entitled to a receipt though in practice ask if you require one. If you want to fix a price, you as a passenger legally have to sign a waiver to not record a fare on the meter. Daft I know but I don't make the rules:rolleyes:

4) If you feel sick, don't travel until you feel better. If you feel sick mid trip, say so ASAP and get out of the car. Soiling charge is €140 plus the fare; the driver then can't work until the car is valeted and dried.

5) A roof sign with a company should mean a driver is affiliated to a base though bear in mind that the plate may have changed hands at some stage in the past.

Any others Q's, feel free to ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I always ask the passanger if there is any particular way they would like to go 1st.

I'm never sure about that one. The paranoid side of me sometimes thinks the driver wants to find out if I know my way, and therefore if he can fleece me or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If a taxi driver cannot provide a printed receipt at the end of a journey, is the passenger within his rights not to pay?

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I am a taxi driver and let me assure you that I do it all the time. I have also gotten out of taxis that don't know the road that I live on; it's not a back street so there isn't much excuse for not knowing it.

To clarify some of OP's points;

1) A driver normally cannot refuse a journey in excess of 30KM but it can be refused with good reason. While it's not legally defined what is a good reason, I'd include heading to pick up somebody else, heading home or finishing up or refuel would probably come in as due reason. The load one can carry is also fair due to refuse; yesterday I picked up two gentlemen with a Christmas Tree that obviously can't fit onto buses or most taxis; likewise for 5 or more to travel. Also, your own state of sobriety may put off some drivers; beer goggles are mighty weapons at times.

On the getting into the car, the "contract" starts when the driver accepts you as a passenger; sitting in is not acceptance of carriage.

2) A driver is supposed to take you the route of your choosing, if you choose to do so. Do be sensible if there is a gang of you and let him do the route selection; girls are especially bad for picking aresway routes. I got three girls last Xmas who wanted Tallaght to Carpenterstown and back to Tallaght; I politely won that arguement :) If you don't know where you are in a journey, a simple "what area are we in now" should suffice.

3) If you can't print a receipt, you can't legally work. I have 9 spare rolls on hand so ask me if you need one ;) Legally you are entitled to a receipt though in practice ask if you require one. If you want to fix a price, you as a passenger legally have to sign a waiver to not record a fare on the meter. Daft I know but I don't make the rules:rolleyes:

4) If you feel sick, don't travel until you feel better. If you feel sick mid trip, say so ASAP and get out of the car. Soiling charge is €140 plus the fare; the driver then can't work until the car is valeted and dried.

5) A roof sign with a company should mean a driver is affiliated to a base though bear in mind that the plate may have changed hands at some stage in the past.

Any others Q's, feel free to ask :)
    Well said, thanks for your input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what prompted this flurry of posts?

what prompted this flurry of posts?
    Big article in the sunday world yesterday,probably,but most people are not aware of their rights where taxis are concerned!

If a taxi driver cannot provide a printed receipt at the end of a journey, is the passenger within his rights not to pay?
    If the driver refuses to give you a hand written receipt!Best advise is get the drivers number, not on the roof sign on his ID that must be displayed on the dash board.Asking a rogue driver to bring you to the nearest Garda station usually gets the point across to the driver that your not having any bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do this quite often myself, I often get taxi's from Eden quay home, and will either get a decent looking taxi from the queue, or hail one down.

I bypassed the first taxi once, to get into the 3rd in line - and the driver wouldn't take me, tough - I just hailed one going by instead.

There's a lot to be said for those who keep their car clean, and chat to a minimum - not that I don't mind talking to the driver, but it tends to be the same story over again :/

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    Do this quite often myself, I often get taxi's from Eden quay home, and will either get a decent looking taxi from the queue, or hail one down.

I bypassed the first taxi once, to get into the 3rd in line - and the driver wouldn't take me, tough - I just hailed one going by instead.

There's a lot to be said for those who keep their car clean, and chat to a minimum - not that I don't mind talking to the driver, but it tends to be the same story over again :/
    Well said,pity more people wouldnt follow your lead.i wash my taxi every morning, and sometimes twice a day.Have oust spray to keep it fresh,plus the usual magic trees. A recent survey done, said "The most popular taxi drivers are the ones that only speak when spoken too"

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Good thread.

Just to add some more advice to intending passengers in my taxi.

Do not attempt to get into the taxi with kebabs, pizzas, burgers, curry chips, etc., dripping all over the place and all over yourself. I wont be stopping to pick you up. Other passengers need to use my vehicle after you and I dont have time during busy periods especially on a weekend night to be bringing the car back home to hoover and clean up your mess.

By all means I will stop at the chipper or chinese if you need food but it stays in the bag until you get out at your destination.

Neither should you attempt to get into the taxi with opened bottles of drink or try to get into the taxi (as one guy tried to do one night to me) with a full pint of Guinness and demand that I take him to the disco five minutes down the road. "I wont spill it" he says. Yeah right. :(

Ok so some of you dont like a driver that talks too much. Well in my case I dont have a problem if you want to talk or not thats up to yourself. I wont inflict my life history on you.

Do not start opening all the car windows and roaring and shouting at the rest of the people in the street.

Do not throw stuff out of the windows.

For those who like to or have to sit in the front seat. The equipment and the car are my personal property. So please do not attempt to turn off the meter - its there for a reason. Do not start turning up the volume on the radio. I'm not a mobile disco.

And to all male passengers (I'm a female driver). Please keep your hands to yourself. My left leg and knee is for clutchin. Not for you to feel. I have probably just washed and combed my hair. I'd like it to stay that way. Sit properly in the seat. I dont want you leaning over towards me with the stench of drink etc., Remember I'm trying to drive a vehicle and get you home safely and myself back to town for another fare hopefully.

And above all please make sure you have enough money for the fare home. In case you are not aware of whats goin on in the world, we are in the middle of a credit crunch. My bank wont give me credit and you aint gettin any either :)

Happy Christmas:)

steph1 wrote: »
    Good thread.

Do not attempt to get into the taxi with kebabs, pizzas, burgers, curry chips, etc., dripping all over the place and all over yourself. I wont be stopping to pick you up. Other passengers need to use my vehicle after you and I dont have time during busy periods especially on a weekend night to be bringing the car back home to hoover and clean up your mess.

By all means I will stop at the chipper or chinese if you need food but it stays in the bag until you get out at your destination.

Neither should you attempt to get into the taxi with opened bottles of drink or try to get into the taxi (as one guy tried to do one night to me) with a full pint of Guinness and demand that I take him to the disco five minutes down the road. "I wont spill it" he says. Yeah right. :(

Ok so some of you dont like a driver that talks too much. Well in my case I dont have a problem if you want to talk or not thats up to yourself. I wont inflict my life history on you.

Do not start opening all the car windows and roaring and shouting at the rest of the people in the street.

For those who like to or have to sit in the front seat. The equipment and the car are my personal property. So please do not attempt to turn off the meter - its there for a reason. Do not start turning up the volume on the radio. I'm not a mobile disco.

And to all male passengers (I'm a female driver). Please keep your hands to yourself. My left leg and knee is for clutchin. Not for you to feel. I have probably just washed and combed my hair. I'd like it to stay that way. Sit properly in the seat. I dont want you leaning over towards me with the stench of drink etc., Remember I'm trying to drive a vehicle and get you home safely and myself back to town for another fare hopefully.

And above all please make sure you have enough money for the fare home. In case you are not aware of whats goin on in the world, we are in the middle of a credit crunch. My bank wont give me credit and you aint gettin any either :)

Brilliant!Top girl taxi driver,,

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

did this last weekend in Galway.. first taxi in the queue was an 8 seater van and the girl I was with said she hated getting into them, so we skipped past and got into the next taxi which was a normal car.

Good for u! I drive an 8 seater but i have no problem with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Johnny James

A bit out of the topic: It's my first year in Dublin and I'm not sure: do taxis operate in town (and around) on Christmas eve (evening)?
    Thanks
    j.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Some good points there guys. I had to work last saturday in my taxi with no printed receipts because my printer stoped working and nowhere open to get it fixed. I know its wrong but so is not feeding your kids at christmas...
    I advised everyone before the we started off that I couldnt print a receipt and nobody cared... All sorted now, my nervers were gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

2qk4u wrote: »
    Some good points there guys. I had to work last saturday in my taxi with no printed receipts because my printer stoped working and nowhere open to get it fixed. I know its wrong but so is not feeding your kids at christmas...
    I advised everyone before the we started off that I couldnt print a receipt and nobody cared... All sorted now, my nervers were gone..

Well that's fair enough if you warned them in advance but I reckon that if you ask for a printed receipt and can't be given one then you are fine to refuse to pay the fare. The taxi regulator's website says it's one of your principal rights to get one. If the driver can't meet that obligation then he shouldn't be out driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Good thread.

I presume you mean not to do ALL of this over the course of ONE trip ...... but over two or three would be fine ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Has this ever happened???

Advertisement