Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Live + Eircom

• 22-12-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We contacted eircom to install broadband but as it turns out they are sending some box in the post that just needs to be plugged in.

Has anyone got the same thing?

Does it work with the XBox?

Thanks.

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

That "box" is a router/modem. Connecting a xbox isn't a problem, you'll need an ethernet cable or a wireless 360 adapter from your 360 to your router/modem. Piece of cake! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

sorry for my ignorance, but would the ethernet cable be supplied with the router? and should I also be able to connect wirelessly with my laptop?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There should have been an ethernet cable in with the XBox so if your phone socket is near enough to the location of your console your good to go..

The router that eircom send out is wireless so you will be able to connect the laptop as well, assuming the laptop has wireless.

The phone socket is at the other end of the house. So do I have to use the wireless? What do I need to do for this?
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

One of these: http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/719752/-/Product.html?searchstring=wireless+adapter&searchsource=0&cur=258

Though if you shop around you should be able to get a much cheaper one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

K09 wrote: »
    The phone socket is at the other end of the house. So do I have to use the wireless? What do I need to do for this?
    Thanks again.

I have a few really long ethernet cables that i use for various devices. They are a lot cheaper than getting wireless, more reliable too. You can get 10m cables for about 10 to 12 euro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The phone socket is at the other end of the house. So do I have to use the wireless?

Only if you'd not be able to run a cable around between the rooms instead.

Another source for the wireless adapter:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312877

and does the router plug into any phone socket? and I plug the phone line then into the router??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Kind of on topic but is there a way to join up ethernet cables to other ethernet cables?

i.e. 10m cable + 10m cable. I seem to remember being told this wasnt possible before

and does the router plug into any phone socket? and I plug the phone line then into the router??

With the router from eircom you'll also get a couple of filters that you'll need to plug into every phone socket that you have a phone/ answering machine/ modem plugged into. You can plug the modem into any socket in the house though, you'll just plug the small filter in the wall first and then the cable for the modem into that.
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    Kind of on topic but is there a way to join up ethernet cables to other ethernet cables?

i.e. 10m cable + 10m cable. I seem to remember being told this wasnt possible before
    Yes, it can be done but you'd probably need someone with a soldering iron and a couple of rj45 sockets to make the adapter for you as you may not be able to easily find one to buy in a shop, if at all. But once you go over a certain length you'll start to loose the signal strength so possibly better to go wireless instead, depending on how thick the walls are between the devices that you are trying to network. Won't be an issue in any modern house though as the walls are all made of paper rather than brick/ stone.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    With the router from eircom you'll also get a couple of filters that you'll need to plug into every phone socket that you have a phone/ answering machine/ modem plugged into. You can plug the modem into any socket in the house though, you'll just plug the small filter in the wall first and then the cable for the modem into that.

so does the phone line have to be plugged into a separate socket to the router?

One of the filters they will have in the box will probably have one plug ( which goes into the wall ) and two sockets on it ( one with a picture of a phone and one with a picture of a computer ). Plug the phone into the phone socket, the modem in the the computer socket and the filter into the wall socket.

You will also need to have filters on every other phone in the house as well or the boradband will not work. If they don't give you enough other filters then just unplug any other phones from the wall until you can get to the shops to pick up a couple more, they will only be a few quid each from a Peats or Maplins type shop.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

sorry for my ignorance, but would the ethernet cable be supplied with the router? and should I also be able to connect wirelessly with my laptop?

Thanks.

I wrote this guide a while ago:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211456

Its very good for connecting to xbox live through your laptop, so you dont need a really long ethernet cable or a wifi adapter.

Just leave a comment if you need help, but the guide goes through everything step by step.

Advertisement