Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texts from societys even though your not member...

Options
  • 22-12-2008 1:43pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else been getting text messages from societies that they're not even members of lately?

I've been getting texts from a few societys that I've never been a member of (Arts Soc & SVP are a couple off hand) and its really f***ing annoying. I've also been getting texts from night clubs that are known to be associated with certain societies which would suggest to me that someone or some people are selling on students details.

Anyone else in this situation?

I've tried to contact the societies in question but never received a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Go talk to Richard Butler (in person, no point emailing or leaving him voice mails). He's the societies' officer, and he gave stern warnings about that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I graduated in 2007 and i'm still getting those texts. Stupid baxtards! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I get them too. I joined Arts Soc last year and I think they gave my number out to everyone under the sun. I get them off Arts Soc, that sh1tty nightclub 21 and Tramco too. I also get texts of SVP. I also get texts off UCD gym but I joined that last year and did not decide to renew my membership. I actually dont mind receiving those ones and at the end of every one it says you can text back stop to stop them, which is a legal requirement in this field. It is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I used to get a load off C&E last year even though I'd never joined them previously. I went up to some people on their committee & gave out to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Speaking of which, 30 seconds ago I have got another spam text off 8-nights. I dont EVEN KNOW WHERE THE FUCK THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

What are SVP texting you guys about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I just got an email to my UCD account and a text from "8 Nights" whatever that is. Its more of a minor inconvienience but id like to know who in UCD is involved in these events and has access to UCD mailing lists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yeah looks like all that free stuff for 2 euro during freshers week is starting to come back and bite us in the ass!!!;)

They are fair annoying texts!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've complained many times about my number being used for illegimate purposes by some societies and other organisations.

Many of those societies don't have the stop thing at the end.

I know there have been lots of rumours about the selling of lists alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Grimes wrote: »
    I just got an email to my UCD account and a text from "8 Nights" whatever that is. Its more of a minor inconvienience but id like to know who in UCD is involved in these events and has access to UCD mailing lists

I would say a lot are sent from lists obtained off blackboard

• Advertisement
Advertisement