Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many problems with Asus P5E3 Help needed :)

Options
  • 22-12-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

i have a big freezing problems with my specs, especially when i open pc in the mornig after windowsxp logo black screen comes and stucks there, or middle of something it just freezing, making me press the reset button,
    here is my specs,

dabsvalue colorit case with 450watt psu
    Asus P5E3 mobo
    q9650 cpu not overclocked,
    4gb ddr3 OCZ 10666 1333mhz platanium series, 1.80volt 7-7-7-20
    western dig. 500gb sata disk,
    sata dvd rw
    radeon x550 pce 16x (im using this for now)

i have set the voltages right as it should be manually, also ram timings,
    before i done that , i wasnt able to install windows xp, i had to set everything manually after xp installed, now i get freezing problems,
    i dont know what to do next ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

start off by doing the usual, disconnect and reconnect everything. Then start with the minimum.

1 stick of ram,
    primary hard drive,
    Onboard graphics (if the board has it, if not the normal graphics card)
    No dvd/cd drive.

If you notice the pc will boot here then try adding the rest in untill you get the same issue again. If you notice the issue from there it is either a hardware, or software issue (drivers etc etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

you couldnt leave voltages and timings as default in BIOS becasue it wouldnt work??? eh...why...whats up with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

standard problem with some memory and motherboards, i have to do it with my current build, 0.3v more for the ram and have to tighten the timings a little bit. Usually a new bios sorts it but not always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

oh right. I didnt know that. good to know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭m3hm3t

Anti wrote: »
    standard problem with some memory and motherboards, i have to do it with my current build, 0.3v more for the ram and have to tighten the timings a little bit. Usually a new bios sorts it but not always.

i actually did not leave anyting auto or manual unless it is nesessary, i have checked out asus support page and forum page, find out some good information there, i followed them, it helped me to install windows xp,
    there are two black two red ram slots on the board, board has no embeded graphics,
    it was recommended to use black ram slots, whic i did use after, and run a memory test on them, it passed very well,
    im gonna write down some settings i have made, it is not always freezing at this moment, i have issues with sata hdd drive, i can not defrag it, i order a chkdsk at windows start up, windows just freezing after finishing the count down,

here is the settings,

ai overclock tuner = manual
    cpu ratio setting = auto
    fsb strap to north bridge = 333mhz
    fsb frequency = 333 mhz
    pciE frequency =auto
    dram frequency = DDR3-1333mhz
    Dram command Rate = 2n
    Dram clk skew on channel A = Auto
    Dram clk skew on channel B= Auto
    Dram Timing Control = manual
    cash latency =7
    ras to cas delay =7
    ras pre time = 7
    rash act time = 20dram clocks
    rash to rash delay = auto
    ref cycle time = 88 dram clocks
    write recovery time = auto
    rest is auto till,
    Dram static read control = disabled
    Dram static write control= disabled
    ai clock twister =ligt
    ai transaction booster = disabled
    relax level = 1

Cpu voltage =auto
    cpu pll voltage = 1.50
    fsp termination voltage= 1.34
    Dram voltage= 1.80
    NB voltage= 1.41
    SB voltage = auto
    clock over-charging voltage= auto

rest is auto again till
    cpu spread spectrum= disabled
    pcie spread spectrum= disabled

marwell ide controlled =disabled ( no ide attached )
    serial port1 adress= 3f8/irq4

thats is it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

You could check your hard drive settings in the bios maybe its a sata driver issue try changing it to IDE mode if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Check the asus help forums to see if its a common issue with your motherboard or maybe you need different ram timings. Try running with just 1 ram chip (2GB) in and see how you get on as when I upgraded to 4GB DD2 I found XP was crashing a hell of alot but a format and install of Vista 64 solved the problem. XP dosent seem to like 4gb ram for some reason lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭m3hm3t

At the same time i m following the asus forums, stll i did not find a solution,
    removing one 2gb of ram is giving alot more problem,

hdd is at ide mode already,
    ram timing is as shown above could it get more tight ? )

Advertisement