Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin Whistle - Cant read music

Options
  • 22-12-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Howye,

Im trying to learn the tin whistle. I cant read music but im not bad at picking out a tune from listening, although it takes me hours :) however. I was wondering can any one tell me if there any site or books i can get tunes but nstead of music there broken into finger holes....

Does that make sense? I seen a few books but all the tunes where pretty poo. Ideally id like the lonesome boat man :) shoot for the stars and you'll reach the moon is what i alsway say :)

Cheers

Good music folk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Hi Vibes

I've been playing whsitle since primary school - my first whistle teacher taught us using numbers (1 = top hole covered, 6 = 6 holes covered etc.). This was easy and suited for kids but looking back I wish the teacher hadn't used numbers - ever since when reading music in sheet music notation or ABC notation I am constantly converting it into numbers to make sense of it which ain't good (should be able to read sheet music or ABC notation without any 'converting' necessary).

So I think the best way to learn is by ear, and maybe accompanied by sheet music. However, as you don't read sheet music I can recommend using the ABC notation (this is basically the notes so B = 1 hole covered, F = 4 holes covered etc.). I recommend this excellent website for learning the ABC notation and as a resource for taking online whistle tutorials and learning new tunes: http://www.nigelgatherer.com/whist.html

A friend of mine took whistle lessons from the creator of the website in Edinburgh, I think the site is very good at providing a good grounding in learning the whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

Great Advice thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Try learn to read music, it can be handy, but never stick to it strictly! Learning by ear is actually much better in the long run.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

vibes23 forget about learning "Internet ABC" which was just used before the days of the web for people to pass music around in a text format. Forget about little diagrams of whistles too, these things will later on slow you down when you do decide to read sheet music. Because like the other poster there mentioned, you'll find yourself converting things back and forth in your head which aren't necessary.

For the whistle, reading music is just as easy as reading the diagrams of the finger holes. You should be thinking that the dot below the bottom line is all fingers down in the lower octave and then it just goes up from there. Theres no need to add other obstacles in between this line of thinking or it'll just slow you down. You don't even need to worry about the length of each note or timing on the sheet because you'll be able to do that by ear. You'll already be doing this if you've been using whistle diagrams. However if you're enthusiastic about it you'll move on to learn it properly. It's really easy, trust me! Your ear however should be the primary method of learning a tune, assisted if necessary by the sheet music.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

the best thing would be to take yourself down to your nearest Comhaltas branch for lessons!

They're all around the country and online here: http://comhaltas.ie/locations/
    I used to do tin whistles with them as a kid and you don't need to learn music. They try to teach by ear and then give you the tunes written down in a way similar to ABC format. All musical notes are named A-G (sharps and flats are half notes in between) and the notes are written that way so you just need to learn how that relates to the whistle, which is a very simple instrument! It's well worth learning that instead of using numbers and whistle diagrams.
    When they write down the tunes it's very similar to ABC format and is really more of a memory aid - the feeling and a lot of the timing should come by ear.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭armedboarder

Is there any sites with the sheet music written as "Finger Holes". I too am starting out and need no brainer notes.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

This book starts you off with tin whistle diagrams but has the sheet music too so that you can get used to it and learn to read music. It's got some great tunes in it, some very common session tunes etc. I'd highly recommend it. I sometimes use it when I'm teaching.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

This book starts you off with tin whistle diagrams but has the sheet music too so that you can get used to it and learn to read music. It's got some great tunes in it, some very common session tunes etc. I'd highly recommend it. I sometimes use it when I'm teaching.

+1 for this book, this is one of the ones I started off with too. It should be noted however that there are a good few mistakes in the actual whistle diagrams which I found off throwing as a beginner. I don't know though if I have an old copy which may have been corrected since. Make sure to get the CD version if you are getting this as some don't come with the CD, you can also get these in Waltons.

There are some web sites that have those little whistle diagrams and I'm sure they've been posted on this forum but I don't have them bookmarked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tinwhistletutor

My opinion is that learning by ear backed up by good quality ABC notes is the best way to learn the whistle. I have been teaching this way for a number of years and have created a website based on this learning process. Okay there a couple of problems to sort out with the site but it's safe and ready to use. You can listen to very basic beginner tunes and if you want the complete notes and full guide to playing the particular tune and the whistle in general, you have to pay but you can then send in a recording of your tune (you will be sent an online recording device to make this easy for you) and I will fully assess your playing and give you tips and examples on how to improve it. John Ryan www.tinwhistlelessons.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mullyman

There is a great tutorial for beginers on youtube at this address http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xaESNVaT4A

After the first tutorial I learned "When the saints go marching in" it took me less than half an hour.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

http://unitedireland.tripod.com/sheet_music_tin_whistle_notes_irish_songs.html

Here is some tunes it has the fingerhole diagrams
    Definitely helped me:D

murphy125 wrote: »
    http://unitedireland.tripod.com/sheet_music_tin_whistle_notes_irish_songs.html

Here is some tunes it has the fingerhole diagrams
    Definitely helped me:D

Have you ever used anything you've learnt from this site in a session though? I find the keys used in a lot of those songs to be uncommon at sessions. If you're a beginner, this will really throw you off. That's why I still feel it's better to learn songs like these by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I find it hard learning by ear, with all instruments actually, so at this stage I just have to learn how to read music.

With tin whistle it's actually surprisingly easy. It's not like guitar, which can be confusing.
    All it takes is some effort, practice & time.

A little off topic, but is there any way to silence the tin whistle or make it a bit quieter?
    I'm only a beginner, so my playing tends to drive people a little crazy!!!:o

Jay1989 wrote: »
    A little off topic, but is there any way to silence the tin whistle or make it a bit quieter?
    I'm only a beginner, so my playing tends to drive people a little crazy!!!:o

Yes, cover half the windway (where the sound comes out) with a piece of tape. When you're practising you'll drive people crazy wether you're a beginner or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Blade wrote: »
    Yes, cover half the windway (where the sound comes out) with a piece of tape. When you're practising you'll drive people crazy wether you're a beginner or not.

Wouldn't that distort the pitch somewhat, making it sound even worse??

fh041205 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that distort the pitch somewhat, making it sound even worse??

Not really no, it doesn't make it any more irritating to listen to, the tone of course just isn't as pure and sounds more breathy, that's all. Doesn't become shrill or anything like that. Try it on a high B covering half the windway with your finger, then removing it to hear the difference. You can cover even more and make it really quiet but of course you loose too much tone.

You can also buy really really quiet practice whistles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 livla

Im the same as you play by ear from back in school days, but lonesome boatman is the only song i really want to learn!
    just wondering how did you get on????? Any Tips??:)

livla wrote: »
    Im the same as you play by ear from back in school days, but lonesome boatman is the only song i really want to learn!
    just wondering how did you get on????? Any Tips??:)

Here's a fairly plain but very respectable version, just follow his fingers, some half holing to note, simples!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_l1UEm6fWE&feature=my_favorites&list=FLHn9pvd_iXnIO6K5RB3PE4A

BTW it's a tune not a song :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 livla

:) Thanks a mill :D

Advertisement