Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long should I leave house to dry?

• 22-12-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All,
    would appreciate your advice.

I've just got my floors in (friday gone by) and the house has just recently been plastered. As you know there hasnt been much drying so i don't think the house has dried out naturally very much.
    Anyways getting oil on today - i realise I need to put this on very low and leave windows a little open.

My main questions are
    1) How long do you think i should leave the house to dry out (with the aid of heat) before we start doing the 2nd fix capentry and tiling. We will be going with oak so i've heard that requires the house to be quite dry

2) would anybody recommend the use or dehumidifiers to assist the process - or do you think this might cause things to dry out to quick. some people say they are a great job, while others say don't go near them. So I am none the wiser. If we were to use them would it make sense to use them before we use the heating, in conjunction with it or not at all.

I would like the house to dry out as fast as possible without risking cracking. Basically the contractor promised us we'd be in the house for xmas (don't getting me started on that :rolleyes:) but as you can tell thats not going to happen. Basically I am due (a baby) in mid march, so would like to get in before that. However i don't want to rush things i.e. don't want to bring a baby into a damp house. If it will take longer than that, well so be it i guess.

My main problem is that everybody seems to have there own theory on the drying out process and how long it should take.

Any advice would be most welcome

Many Thanks
    S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

1mm per day drying out time . So a 100mm concrete slab will need 100 days .

I would not let dehumidifiers near the place - risk of cracking to plaster

Don't put down any timber flooring without first measuring the concrete with a CONCRETE moisture meter . It has little studs like a sports boot , not the needles you see on a plaster / timber meter

When I moved into a new house about 8 years ago we settled for cheepo carpet for a few months untill the concrete was well dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

sinnerboy wrote: »
    1mm per day drying out time . So a 100mm concrete slab will need 100 days .

I would not let dehumidifiers near the place - risk of cracking to plaster

Don't put down any timber flooring without first measuring the concrete with a CONCRETE moisture meter . It has little studs like a sports boot , not the needles you see on a plaster / timber meter

When I moved into a new house about 8 years ago we settled for cheepo carpet for a few months untill the concrete was well dry

i agree with sinnerboy, also if you use oak where it's damp, the stuff
    goes black:eek: make sure it's well dry even before hanging the doors/skirting etc!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As per sinnerboy's post. You do really need to give it some time. Use carpet, lino or whatever if you are stuck in the short term or just leave the screed finish as it is but apply a sealer first to keep the dust in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Wouldn't applying a sealer have the effect of sealing in the damp. Similarly putting down linoleum may slow down or impede drying out.
    Just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Time is a great healer!
    I agree with Sinnerboy - give it lots of time.
    (Dehumidifer would speed up the process at the risk of cracking the plaster.)

This isn't a great time of year to dry - so leave it as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lynch32

thanks all for your advice. Think i will be sensible and leave the house to dry out naturally for as long as possible. I will aim to move in for may, no point in panicing now just to save a few months.
    Happy new year
    S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lynch32 wrote: »
    thanks all for your advice. Think i will be sensible and leave the house to dry out naturally for as long as possible. I will aim to move in for may, no point in panicing now just to save a few months.
    Happy new year
    S
    This will also allow you time to send out the invites for the house warming party. Myself and smashey are in Donegal so we wont have far to travel ;)

Advertisement