Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reassessing rent rates?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

how can i go about finding out the open market lending rate of a property? When we signed our lease, we signed a 3 year lease where there would be an increase in rent of 5% per annum, however, considering the current conditions, letting prices have significantly gone down so i'm just thinking upping the rent would go against the residential tenancies act 2004 (rent reviews sections 19 to 24 of part 3). i'm not considering lowering the rent, just not increasing it.

Any advice or opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

When did you sign this lease? Please don't tell me any later than mid 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

DJDC wrote: »
    When did you sign this lease? Please don't tell me any later than mid 2007.

later than mid 2007:D

does noone have any advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Doesnt rent have to be in line with what the rest of the market is paying?

jackncoke wrote: »
    Doesnt rent have to be in line with what the rest of the market is paying?

exactly. that's why i was trying to source open market lending rates, because i'm pretty sure they've gone down rather than up over the period, so i don't think a 5% increase is very fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Try daft.ie for similar properties in your area..ask your neighbours,try a few letting agencies.?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

exactly. that's why i was trying to source open market lending rates, because i'm pretty sure they've gone down rather than up over the period, so i don't think a 5% increase is very fair.

Depending on the property and the area, its entirely conceivable that a decrease of 20-25% may actually be the case.......

The only leases I've seen in the past that were structured with a set predetermined % increase all tended to be commercial leases, not residential. I've seen one with a 20 year period to run- and it cost First National almost 150k to break the lease in that case.

Advertisement