Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assistance with purchasing brace (teeth) for child

• 22-12-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Apologies at the outset if this is the incorrect forum.

A client of mine who is married, with one 13 year old. Her husband lost his job. He now works 2 days a week so she is now the main bread winner. She is not very well paid - working in a solicitor's office - and is finding it difficult to make ends meet with mortgage etc........need I go into it in too much detail....a lot of people's story at the moment.

Her son has to get a teeth brace. Cost €4,000. She is very attentive to paying all her bills and is at present putting so much aside from her wages but it will take her a while to drum up the entire cost. She has managed to pay deposit but just wondering is there any help out there that she could get either through her PRSI or Social Welfare. I know her husband is signing on for Job seeking Benefit for the 4 days he is not working and it is only pittance what is paid out under this scheme.

If anyone can give me a lead, I would appreciate to pass on the information.

She has worked all her life and like a lot of people at the moment, she is finding herself caught in a trap. She doesn't want charity, does not want to borrow for it and I am just wondering is there another route she could take.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Not sure about social welfare, but I know you can get tax back, and that every othodontist I've heard of will allow you to pay in installments, as the treatment is typically 2 years, my orthodontist was interest free. That way I was easily able to save a chunk each month rather than pay out straight off. It'll obviously depend on the type of treatment he needs, but he could go for cheaper options, like my sister had ceramic brackets and special thin extra strong wires, I had a huge mouth of metal that looked hidious but it was about 600 euro cheaper.

Advertisement