Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats on Stephens Day>??

Options
  • 22-12-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on things to do in and around Dublin on Stephens' day.... not Funderland or not the Races...:)

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

work, thats what im doing.

go to the pub or something

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

NADA. No pub. Very, very, very few open on 26th. Those that do are really aren't worth it (The Belfry, Stoneybatter). Clubs that do open (and few do) are asually EMPTY. Drinks on 26th can be persued but it's not worth the chase (IMO). Better off heading beyond the city where it is the biggest day of the year for bars outside Dublin if your intention is to mingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

humberklog wrote: »
    NADA. No pub. Very, very, very few open on 26th. Those that do are really aren't worth it (The Belfry, Stoneybatter). Clubs that do open (and few do) are asually EMPTY. Drinks on 26th can be persued but it's not worth the chase (IMO). Better off heading beyond the city where it is the biggest day of the year for bars outside Dublin if your intention is to mingle.

loads of pubs open but not in the city . the pub i work in is open 12 - 7 like most pubs around my area (walkinstown)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carlito78

Well ordinarily the PUB is exactly where id be... !!:D

Unfortunately theres been a bereavement in our family and the aim is to do something different that'll lift everyones spirits on the day!Just dont wanna be sitting in front of the tv all day...

Carlito78 wrote: »
    Well ordinarily the PUB is exactly where id be... !!:D

Unfortunately theres been a bereavement in our family and the aim is to do something different that'll lift everyones spirits on the day!Just dont wanna be sitting in front of the tv all day...
    40foot. Even if your not getting in for a swim there's always a good laugh to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Oh no! I never knew this about the pubs! Anyone know if pubs in the city open on the 27th?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Quint wrote: »
    Oh no! I never knew this about the pubs! Anyone know if pubs in the city open on the 27th?
    Yup.

(Some pubs open on the 26th but usually only family run or non-union houses).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Few pubs open in Dublin? Is this a Dublin specific tradition?

As I can tell you December 26th is one of the biggest nights of the year in many rural parts (well, the parts I know) in Ireland! Major session, all pubs open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's actually my birthday on SD, but I gave up making my mates traipse round the City Centre years ago.

As said, you will find places open in town, but you'll be stuck for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Sales will start nearly everywhere on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

There's a mural outside the Bernard Shaw on Richmond Street promoting a Father Ted themed event on Stephen's Night.

Kwekubo wrote: »
    There's a mural outside the Bernard Shaw on Richmond Street promoting a Father Ted themed event on Stephen's Night.

Excellent. Nice one Kwekuba. It's been in my locale for the last while and I was looking for an excuse to visit it and I was looking for something to do in the city that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

pubs really dont open on stevens day in town-never knew that.im in leixlip so not too far out and stevens day is probably the biggest drinking day of the year.certainly one of the biggest anyway.will be in the pub all day tomorrow as will everyone i know-strange how dublin isnt the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

I'm in Donnycarney and i don't know of any pubs round this way that close on St. Stephens day, some close early though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 epkdub09

df1985 wrote: »
    pubs really dont open on stevens day in town-never knew that.im in leixlip so not too far out and stevens day is probably the biggest drinking day of the year.certainly one of the biggest anyway.will be in the pub all day tomorrow as will everyone i know-strange how dublin isnt the same.

Very strange indeed! I think a few might be open in the city.
    I'm meeting a few friends in a pub near Trinity tonight, so I guess some pubs are open in the city on the 26th. I didn't know though that this is a big drinking day so that is a cool thing to hear. ;)

Advertisement