Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion of Rail Users Ireland on Commuting and Transport

Options
  • 22-12-2008 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

A couple of weeks ago, Calina closed a thread on Rail Users Ireland.
    Calina wrote:
    Okay.

Here is the short and sweet version. I am closing this thread now; no hour of respite while you sort yourselves out, closed now.

Here is the longer version: I do not give one toss what internal politics are playing out, what personal differences there are over on Rail Users Ireland and its forum. I will not, however, have those differences brought over here and fought out over here.

So look on this as a simple warning:

If I see another thread bringing up the differences y'all have with one another in RUI land or with other people who don't post here, there will not be infractions, but bans and they will not be short bans. You are escaping infractions now because I believe in issuing a warning before I issue bans.

Arguments from other fora/organisations do not belong on this board and will not be tolerated. I am serious about this.
    I'm just writing here to enquire as to why the internal politics of a prominent lobby group on rail transport can't be discussed on a transport forum. I accept there may be valid reasons, but I can't see what they are atm.

I'm in no way involved in RUI, I occasionally read through their forums, but that's about it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

armada104 wrote: »
    I'm just writing here to enquire as to why the internal politics of a prominent lobby group on rail transport can't be discussed on a transport forum. I accept there may be valid reasons, but I can't see what they are atm.

Because it's another forum.
    It has nothing to do with us and if you wish to discuss their internal politics then go to that forum and discuss it there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A couple of weeks ago, Calina closed a thread on Rail Users Ireland.

I'm in no way involved in RUI, I occasionally read through their forums, but that's about it.

It's quite clear from Calina's message that the talk is potentially disruptive.

Fueds help no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Because it's nothing to do with this site, and such discussion has caused disruption among the community already?

That's reason enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Because it's nothing to do with this site, and such discussion has caused disruption among the community already?

That's reason enough.

Exactly. Dragging a beef from one website over onto another and giving out is just arseholery.

orestes wrote: »
    Exactly. Dragging a beef from one website over onto another and giving out is just arseholery.

0_o

You'd be surprised how often it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

0_o

Well there seems to be no shortage of arseholes on the internet of late.

'Twas ever thus, just that most people are or were too overcome by apathy to point it out.

Either that, or have led themselves to the conclusion that if someone would represent a figure of fun or derision to them in the real world, then there is little point in taking them seriously in an online environment.

Anyone who takes remarks from an external source back to boards.ie in order to attribute them to themselves, or take collective offence to something that wasn't directed at them in the first instance either has inferiority issues, or is lacking a sense of belonging somewhere else in their lives.

I had thought that was always boards.ie policy, or is it only so when the cool* kids do it?

*may be tongue in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Because it's another forum.
    It has nothing to do with us and if you wish to discuss their internal politics then go to that forum and discuss it there.
    It's not another forum. It's a lobby group that has a forum. A lobby group that has in the past had some influence over railway planning in Ireland. Surely the way it's run is a relevant topic in a forum that often discusses rail transport, especially if such discussion is not allowed on that group's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

0_o

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well there seems to be no shortage of arseholes on the internet of late.

Ah sure, tis a never ending September now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I never tolerated such behaviour, although there may still be instances of it and I generally have a low tolerance of other disruptive behaviour.

Its not about Rail Users Ireland (formerly Platform 11), although there have been 2-3 instances of people with associations with RUI or dislikes of it. Its about toy-from-pram experiences from a couple of people who are airing their grievances to the world instead of solving them. Its a little like the toilet seat up or toilet seat down discussions on After Hours, recurrent, messy, but nothing actually comes from it (the discussion, not the toilet). Now can you imagine Mary Harney going on the Last Word complaining that Brian Cowen leaves the toilet seat up on the government jet?

Now I have real-life and virtual knowledge of some of the parties involved, so I didn't get involved in closing that thread, but asked Calina to look at it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Rail Users Ireland want their own forum (like Ireland Offline) then they could if they desired.

If they dont then thats ok too but we dont want a Rail Users of Ireland Internal Complaints board here and I dont feel your grievances are on topic for the Commuting and Transport forum no matter how world shattering they may be. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It's not another forum. It's a lobby group that has a forum. A lobby group that has in the past had some influence over railway planning in Ireland. Surely the way it's run is a relevant topic in a forum that often discusses rail transport, especially if such discussion is not allowed on that group's website.

It being Christmas, and me not being at home, my net access is somewhat erratic. Apologies for the delayed response.

In principle, I don't have an issue with the way an organisation is run being discussed. I do, however, have a great big problem with internal disagreements and arguments from RUI being fought out on boards.ie. The thread in question was not a discussion about how RUI was run, per se, but some internal fighting being brought over to boards.ie.

RUI have their own fora. If their members have issues with each other, or how things are done within their organisation, RUI is where it should be discussed. It is highly rude to come over to boards.ie/Commuting & Transport and moan and whinge about each other.

The thread which I closed was not about how RUI does things but about how some members of RUI posting on boards.ie have problems with one or more other members of RUI. It's little more than childless playground whinging. It has, however, previously caused major disruption on Commuting & Transport and the thread which I closed was already contentious. Hence closure.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

RUI have their own fora. If their members have issues with each other, or how things are done within their organisation, RUI is where it should be discussed. It is highly rude to come over to boards.ie/Commuting & Transport and moan and whinge about each other.

Yeah, I mean, thats what blogs are for :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just for clarity, I'm not sure if the starter of the original threads is a member of Rail Users Ireland and some of the parties involved in previous threads dislike RUI for self-serving reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

DeVore wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, thats what blogs are for :p

DeV.

Jaysus, yeah. Obviously the quantity of food yesterday dulled my mind somewhat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

more winning moderation from Calina. Miss Impartial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think its time someone derailed this thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

more winning moderation from Calina. Miss Impartial.

Sorry?

I hate that tone in posts. You know, the real bullying tone. The dig, the quip. So stupid and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

FYI:

RUI has it own forum. RUI even has a Feedback and Suggestions forum for members.

Nostradamus is not a member of RUI, but was yonks ago. DWCommuter is still a member. Paul-whateverhisnumberis- is an ex member.

Maybe nostradanus felt that as he isnt on the rui board and it meant so much to him that he had to post here about it. Fair enough. I really dont get the others though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Sully wrote: »
    Sorry?

I hate that tone in posts. You know, the real bullying tone. The dig, the quip. So stupid and pointless.

Hardly.:rolleyes:

My comment is sarcastic.

I actually meant

'More crap moderating from Calina who has too many knives out for certain individuals/organisations'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hardly.:rolleyes:

My comment is sarcastic.

I actually meant

'More crap moderating from Calina who has too many knives out for certain individuals/organisations'.

Seems a bit hypocritical coming from you Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I'd just like to add for the attention of victor and calina that there should be no problem in the c&t forum with discussing the statements/performance of rui. They are up for grabs just as CIE/DB/BE/RPA/DAA etc are. Previous members of rui should not be derided for leaving the organisation and discussing their opinions on the c&t forum. All of it is relevent to the irish public transport sector. RUI are an organisation, not a discussion forum.

Im disappointed that both victor and calina felt the need to trivialise some of the comments. Personally ive no sour grapes or bitching to do. But i do see the need for the building of something solid on the foundations that were made when the lobby was established in 2003. If the above listed entities perform badly, then the C&T forum is inundated with criticisms. RUI are no different. What really galls me is the fact that Victor was a mod when the organisation was rediculed continuously (on one ocassion by a mod!) and now makes comments that are by their nature insulting to the likes of me. Maybe they should be clarified.

For the record, I ceased being a member of RUI in January. I will comment on their performance on the C&T forum. The fact that Im a former member does not mean that my opinion is sour grapes. It means that my opinions are based on the fact that I do not believe RUI is an effective representative body. 9that is why I left.) I name names from Government to state bodies all the time here and its often critical, so I will not accept that RUI committee members are above that.

Victors comments
    and some of the parties involved in previous threads dislike RUI for self-serving reasons.
    Its not about Rail Users Ireland (formerly Platform 11), although there have been 2-3 instances of people with associations with RUI or dislikes of it. Its about toy-from-pram experiences from a couple of people who are airing their grievances to the world instead of solving them. Its a little like the toilet seat up or toilet seat down discussions on After Hours, recurrent, messy, but nothing actually comes from it (the discussion, not the toilet). Now can you imagine Mary Harney going on the Last Word complaining that Brian Cowen leaves the toilet seat up on the government jet?

Now I have real-life and virtual knowledge of some of the parties involved, so I didn't get involved in closing that thread, but asked Calina to look at it.

Whatever about Calinas comments, Im surprised at you Colm. You know me and if this is the kind of commentary that you apply to me, the quite frankly I'm shocked. Can you clarify if you are referring to me in these remarks?

wow, you resurrected a thread from January for this?

You could just PM Victor you know.

Sleeping dogs and all...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

yeah dev i was shocked, appalled, had a heart attack and all that.

to be honest, dwc has a point, and yeah, the odd kick up the arse is always helpfull but the point that calina and victor were making is that since RUI has a board for that, do it there. CIE/IE dont have a board for that so they are fair game here (i think).

course, if rui were to get some grant or something form the state it would cause mighty fires to be lit.

as a mod issue/boards.ie issue, it shouldnt be anything to get worked up about though

Advertisement