Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Shannon - Heathrow resumes

Options
  • 22-12-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Wonder what changed their minds. good news for the area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Cost base, that's what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they havn't changed the mind this was their plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

These are two slots that are currently running out of Dublin afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

didnt hear a thing about this today!!! good news if its true, means hopefully the td's will back Mannion and go against O'leary in his bid to take over EI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

This has nothing to do with O'Leary and the bid. It's all to with internal Aer Lingus issues. The point was well made to the workers. Cooperate or you are out of a job. This has being ongoing for months. But it will need to be supported. If not it goes again.

As for the Ryanair bid. It's not over yet, mark my words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Split shifts on the way, one would opine:cool:

This has nothing to do with O'Leary and the bid. It's all to with internal Aer Lingus issues. The point was well made to the workers. Cooperate or you are out of a job. This has being ongoing for months. But it will need to be supported. If not it goes again.

I know the point was well made..But if you were watching or listening to the cabinet meeting during the week, the td's basically said they would not be supporting aerlingus unless they re-instated the SNN - LHR route.

Personally, I think your wrong and O ' Leary hasnt got a hope in hell in suceeding!

EI are not in as much trouble as they make themselves out to be..actually in a better position than FR are. Its all the media hype making people think that EI are worse off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

EI are not in as much trouble as they make themselves out to be..actually in a better position than FR are. Its all the media hype making people think that EI are worse off!

Interesting, on what information did you base that statement that they're in a better position than ryanair? I agree with you that ryanair will never get hold of Aer Lingus, it's just not going to happen IMO, or at least if it does I'll be very suprised!

darragh-k wrote: »
    Interesting, on what information did you base that statement that they're in a better position than ryanair? I agree with you that ryanair will never get hold of Aer Lingus, it's just not going to happen IMO, or at least if it does I'll be very suprised!

We all know O ' Leary is a smart fecker. He doesnt spread his business unless he has something to brag about.

For example:
    • when EI shares dropped to one euro, FR shares plummeted 60%.
    • He says EI cut a load of flights. Every winter schedule, EI cut back on routes, FR actually cut more routes.
    • FR grounded a load of planes this year, EI have not.
    • 8 out of 10 years EI have made a profit between 1998 - 2007
    • 800m cash in the bank... easy to survive on for the next few years.
    Thats why I think EI are in a better position! Google it!

I know the point was well made..But if you were watching or listening to the cabinet meeting during the week, the td's basically said they would not be supporting aerlingus unless they re-instated the SNN - LHR route.

That crowd included the crook Lowry and the the incompetant Fahey. They had little or no impact on the decision other than in their own little minds. Decisions like that are not made overnight. This was later confirmed for me by a Shannon airport official on the news who said it had been going on for months. There was also a slightly sarcastic remark from Mannion when asked that question. He said he couldn't speak for Deputy Fahey but that he must have been aware of the ongoing negotiations when he made that threat in committee. Fahey was simply ensuring he can go back and say to his electorate. 'I helped change Aer Lingus' mind.' He's an opportunist.

As for Aer Lingus being in great shape, well how come that isn't reflected in it's fares. Still more expensive than Ryanair. Ryanair is like a crocodile watching a leaky boat being desperately patched. They can wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The times of the flights are not great for connections. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FoldedShirt

As for Aer Lingus being in great shape, well how come that isn't reflected in it's fares. Still more expensive than Ryanair.

Possibly because Aer Lingus isn't a charity. Airlines don't give away free flights just because they're making money. Lufthansa are the most profitable airline in the world at the moment - they didn't get there by offering flights for €1.

Aer Lingus are in fantastic shape relative to their competitors. Read the defence document on the takeover bid, there is a lot of interesting information there.
    *Kol* wrote:
    The times of the flights are not great for connections.

The times are excellent for connections.

Lufthansa are the most profitable airline in the world at the moment - they didn't get there by offering flights for €1.

Ryanair are one of the most profitable airlines in the world and they did get there by offering €1 fares.

It's all about fares, even more so with this recession. I booked a random return flight to Madrid in February. Aer Lingus €66, Ryanair €20. Both outrageously cheap as it happens. The Ryanair flight is free BTW.

I've decided to fly to Malaga tomorrow for Christmas, Ryanair €143, Aer Lingus €237. That's €94 Euro extra. I can buy a lot of cheap Spanish vino for that!

Do you want to guess which airline I would travel with? Bear in mind too, the level of service is pretty much the same. The only difference is that I'm paying extra to Aer Lingus so they can pay their bloated staff wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FoldedShirt

Ryanair are one of the most profitable airlines in the world and they did get there by offering €1 fares.

Not true. Lufthansa made a profit of nearly €900 million this year (with more to come in the fourth quarter). Air France/KLM made over €200 million, BA made €150 million. Ryanair (an airline of similar size to the other three) made €20 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've decided to fly to Malaga tomorrow for Christmas, Ryanair €143, Aer Lingus €237. That's €94 Euro extra. I can buy a lot of cheap Spanish vino for that!

Do you want to guess which airline I would travel with? Bear in mind too, the level of service is pretty much the same. The only difference is that I'm paying extra to Aer Lingus so they can pay their bloated staff wages.

i'm flying to liverpool tomorrow the fare for 2 people was £95 with easyjet (from belfast) and (at the time of booking ) £295 with ryanair (from derry)
    obviousley the bloated ryanair fare was to pay for bloated ryanair staff wages or a new racehorse for MOL or something. price comparisons mean nothing different airlines jack up prices to suit. you got a cheaper flight with ryanair great you fly with the cheapest thats what we all do - i check every airline that suits and ryanair rarely come out the cheapest, but i xhop around as you obviousley do. doubt the price differential is anything to with anything apart from load differences on that particular flight - the inlaws are flying to tenerife out with AL back with Ryanair cos the times suit better ther you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

With Ryanair, you have a check-in fee and a small weight limit for bags... 15Kgs, is it not? A suitcase on it's own weighs 4kgs. On their website, they say "Each passenger is permitted to check in up to 3 bags with a maximum combined weight of 15kgs" - which is not true, as my aunt and uncle got charged a huge amount because their ONE suitcase was 12kgs.

It's all the little hidden things like that where Ryanair make their money. I'd pick Aer Lingus over Ryanair any day.

EDIT: I checked again. Ryanair: DUB - STN €315. Aer Lingus: DUB - LHR €192.

Aer Lingus FTW. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

I find the timing of the announcement "interesting" if it was planned all along. MOL says he will re-instate flights if successful in bid, DM releases defence document against the bid and announces return of flights?

There can be coincidences, but really.... :)

You can play the fares game anyway you want but I compared like with like, same airport, same day, same destination, Aer Lingus versus Ryanair. Easyjet is another cheap lo-co airline and they would trounce Aer Lingus most of the time too. The reality is that Ryanair is cheaper for the most part than Aer Lingus. That much is undeniable. Disliking Ryanair is fine, paying extra money because you dislike Ryanair is silly.

Like it or not, Aer Lingus has a bit to go before it can compete with Ryanair at any level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I

this is the thing, they're not in trouble but they'er playing the recession card so that they can pass more cutbacks and be in an even better position...

I still don't want Michael O'Dreary and his Crime-air running EI though

I'm assuming that the Shannon route is only back for Xmas ? And perhaps other busy times of the year such as Paddy's day. Aer Lingus only fly to Cardiff when there's a game on in the Millenium Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm assuming that the Shannon route is only back for Xmas ? And perhaps other busy times of the year such as Paddy's day. Aer Lingus only fly to Cardiff when there's a game on in the Millenium Stadium

It has been announced this week but they cant start flights the next day for obvious reasons. It will operate twice daily from March 29.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 parklands

It operates twice daily Mon - Fri, and once daily at weekends.

If EI and Air France can survive in Shannon, we will be better off than where we were this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Bear in mind too, the level of service is pretty much the same.

Baggage charges aside, I think there really is a difference.

Airport Check In
    FR - Have to pay.
    EI - Free. Also self-service machines in many airports.

Online Check In
    FR - Only available for those travelling without bags, and only for those with an EU identity document.
    EI - Available for all. Option to drop bags at airport bag drop.

Boarding
    FR - Pay for priority boarding. Otherwise, a free-for-all.
    EI - Nowhere near as stressful - select your seat in advance(either pay for selection at time of booking, with option to "buy" exit row seats, or select for free at check in).

Cabin Crew
    FR - Generally younger with little experience, nowhere near as friendly.
    EI - Mainly Irish, mainly with many years experience, very friendly.

Onboard Service
    FR - High prices.
    EI - Prices not as high, good selection.

Connecting Flights
    FR - Not supported.
    EI - Simple connection process, check-through bags for most airlines.

Aircraft Cabin/Seating
    FR - Yellow hatracks. Yellow bulkheads. Yellow seat backs. No seat pockets. No recline on most aircraft.
    EI - Comfortable seats. "Normal" interior.

Customer Service
    FR - Call on a premium rate number. Fax or email a complaint and receive a poorly written reply littered with spelling mistakes.
    EI - In my experience, always absolutely fine. No premium rate numbers, quick complaint handling with a decent written reply.

All depends on what's important to you I suppose, but unless Ryanair prices are at the 1p all in level, Aer Lingus wins for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Good post Wex. Some of that stuff had never occoured to me.

The single one thing that puts me off getting on Ryanair is the emergency stuff plastered at eye level on the seat in front of you. I know enough about aviation to know what to do if there has to be an evac but for people that are nervous about flying it must be terrible to have that stuff in your face for the entire flight.

Those who are infrequent or nervous flyers should read the safety card and watch the demo then be able to enjoy their flight without icons of crashed planes and brace positions.

But as you correctly put, you get what you pay for. To be flown anywhere for less then a few hundred bucks is a good deal, down here there's nothing like Ryanair therefore massive air prices.

Advertisement