Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! re-motivate me!

• 22-12-2008 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

sorry for the rant, but here we go...my backstory: Gained alot of weight in 1st year of college from living away from home for 1st time, excessive drinking, living with bad influences. By the end of 1st year I was 11 and a half stone (im a female, 19 years old, around 5 foot 6). Joined weight watchers and got down to 10 stone by september. I looked and felt great! Once nearly even fit into a pair of size 10 jeans, which was VERY exciting because I'm pretty curvy in the hips/bum region. (which looks nice when im at my lightest, but awful when ive extra spare tyres!)
    Moved back up to college, in a house with a big group of lads (skinny 20 year old lads who can eat as much as they like and are still absolute twigs!). Kept my healthy eating habits for a few weeks... slowly the odd chocolate bar slipped in... then a pizza or two... now i'm 10 and a half stone and my diet is all over the place! Health is just gone out the window completely. I know this time last year I would have loved to be this weight, but because ive experienced myself at my skinniest I know what Im missing out on now!
    Anyway, i've decided that enough is enough and if I could gain a half stone like that in a few weeks then I could just as easily do it twice again and be 11.5 stone and misreable again.
    SO what I need here is some tips, motivation....ANYTHING to help me cope with living with junk food heads whilst trying to lose weight. For some reason aswell I feel very self conscious about always buying "diet" foods, weight watcher brand things (like their biscuits and sauces and things) because when people see them theyre like "ooh STOP you dont need to lose weight. have some pizza..." but they dont understand, i'm not an anorexic dellusioned person.. I just want to feel my best! Any tips for snacks or recipies? I'm not much of a chef so if anyone had simple recipies for hot healthy dinners id be very grateful!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Just think about how bad you'll feel after you've eaten that pizza and you can almost feel the weight creeping on. I can't look at ice cream at times anymore, just isn't worth it!

I was 11st 8lbs before, I'm about 5'6ish also, I'm now 9st 5lbs and have maintained this for almost 2 years, it can be done, you just have to remember that nothing tastes as good as fitting into those size 10 jeans of yours. :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Motivation?

That's EASY.

Sales start tomorrow...wander forth with a single brief...

To buy a garment that is either a large 10, or a small 12, that you honestly CANNOT CONTINUE TO LIVE without wearing.

It doesn't matter whether this garment is bling and glamour, or one of those things that looks SO darn good you have to wear it until it falls off in tatters.

I have a few, honestly, gorgeous pieces of clothing in my desired weight (that I have never quite got into yet)...but I suspect my day to day "weight controllers" are my few pairs of vintage 501 jeans (currently a mite too snug for comfort, with an unattractive "overhang").

Good Luck

PS. Dontchya just HATE those people who can eat ANYTHING and stay skinny? I know I do.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

same boat as OP tried to stop smoking piled on the pounds - but am now smoking when drinking AND fat :(:mad:

Your not that far gone - hows about starting by going for a walk/run?

As for snacks - hummous and brown pitta or try pink lady apples
    NYom nyom

I SO feel for you pseudonym...

I was already gaining weight when I quit smoking in September 2001, but, in spite of some serious changes to diet and exercise I made at the time that weight gain racked up several notches.

NOT MY FAULT and not yours either this is the best link I can find:
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Smoking_weight_gain_and_quitting?OpenDocument

But there are reasons apart from comforting yourself with treats (which I NEVER let myself do, I was so scared of the weight gain potential).

The thing to do is to plan a strategy of quitting and weight loss. One great hint for me was to chew celery, which, while I have never really liked it before or since, gives a little "burning" sensation in the back of your throat that I found intensely satisfying while quitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Thanks Aare
    I am also living at home which is a full fat fridge house - Have considered smoking again so I wont put any more weight.

Thinking I ll do that celebirity slim thing I know its not ideal but really need to get my confidience back. I have fashion interviews comming up and shallow as it may sound I want to be look hot and slim!

• Advertisement

Dontchya LURVE those full fat fridges?

Too much...too often...:(

I think CS is a GOOD choice to get you over the bump of quitting (hey guys...quitting smoking is SUPPOSED to be "once off", "cruel and unusual" circumstances, body wise, and it seems a good fit with CS to me).

Let me give you the REAL motivation.

In 2001 I was fat (6 ft size 20 - I got fatter too), diagnosed with COPD (Emphysema), at 43 I felt like an elderly woman, and past it all (yeah, I know guys...but actually, 43 isn't remotely elderly when you GET there *sighs*).

Today I am a 14-16 (not slim enough yet, but still, in 2001 I wouldn't have BELIEVED I'd ever fit the clothes I do now, again).

I raved my way through StreetParade Zurich in August, you would have to combine the ages of the last two guys to show serious interest to get to "age appropriate" ;), and I feel like a MILLION DOLLARS.

...and if I had stuck to the "healthy eating" rules I could never have done any of that...

BUT

When the last dress size is gone, I do know I am gonna have to put all I have learned about healthy eating habits into practice to keep it that way.

So I am saying...

GO FOR IT!:D

Advertisement