Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA GAMES JOB CUTS

Options
  • 22-12-2008 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Ea games recently announce another 10 percent reduction in employment across all their studios world wide! Crappy Huh? But this means that 1000 or so people will be losing their jobs come the new year. Could anyone out there who has any contacts in this industry or knows anything about the business, tell me who the likely people will be cut first? Will it be programmers or artists people that have permanent positions, or will it be the lowly games tester that gets the cut? People who have three and 6 month games testing contracts? I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight into this as this would affect me very much?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I dont have any insight into this, but i'd say its fair to assume that contractors will be first to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i'd say it will be permanent staff. They probably don't factor contractors into it. Contractors usually appear in a different place on the budget sheet. Probably a case of getting rid of their least competent staff especially in countries where they get paid the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Hopefully it's the 1,000 people responsible for all the **** games they made. Although the number should be far higher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

im not at all surprised by this,spore was downloaded well over 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

im not at all surprised by this,spore was downloaded well over 100,000.

?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nevermind Spore the games industry as a whole must have the narrowest profit margin (is that the right term?) for any of the multimedia industries. Games are costing upwards of the millions to create now & unlike movies where you can still break even thanks to foreign markets, you don't have that potential safety net with games. They seem to either sell or don't, there doesn't seem to be a middle-area. I would like to see the figures on how many units a AAA title has to sell to even break even because I have been wondering for a while when the bubble would burst for game devs.

It's doubly unsurprising given how a few years ago EA were systematically buying up every small dev house they could get their hands on. I would put money on the likelyhood that these are studios being hit the worst, with the "non essential" staff getting sacked & the remainder folded into the main EA studios.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

awhir wrote: »
    ?

I meant downloaded illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In fairness EA could do with losing a few pounds.

Advertisement