Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 765T not great

Options
  • 22-12-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Hi All, i got the Garmin 765T 2 weeks ago and im not that happy with it. first of all i have never seen the 3d buildings and the second thing is when it calculates a route it sends you the longest way ( at lease in rural Ireland )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

pm. wrote: »
    Hi All, i got the Garmin 765T 2 weeks ago and im not that happy with it. first of all i have never seen the 3d buildings and the second thing is when it calculates a route it sends you the longest way ( at lease in rural Ireland )

I'm not very familiar with the 765T, I do a 250W on loan for a few weeks, and I did notice something similiar about the route planning.
    I tried these settings, and it did seem to help.
    Go to settings (looks like a spanner) - settings - navigation - route preference - select faster time or shorter distance.

Also, in navigation sub menu - avoidances - I selected u-turns, toll roads, car share lanes, unpaved roads.

This again, seemed to help.

Haven't a clue about the 3D picture thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 heatpony

Fancy selling??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They probably haven't got the data for the 3D buildings in Ireland. It's a completely useless gimmick anyway .. why do you want it?

As for the routing, it can only go by the data it has available to it, and every single road isn't individually rated as to it's suitability or speed, every R road, N road and unclassified road is treated the same as every other one in the same category. Local knowledge will always win in this case, and it begs the question if you already know that the way it's taking you isn't optimal (for some value of "optimal"), then why do you need the GPS at all for such trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Yea I echo your thoughts, I bought the 775T to get the North American maps too, as I go stateside regularly (or I did pre-recession) and each time I'd hire a car with gps (hertz neverlost)
    I was in Milan in January for a Ski vacation and the GPS was average nothing exciting even made me take the wrong exit after coming out of the tunnels as it tried to find its bearings again (to be expected I guess)
    But on the return journey it tried to take us off the one and only gritted road and wanted to take us through the scenic routes (when I zoomed out it was bringing us back out to the road it wanted us to leave a few miles further on)

I hope they sort this out!

CS

Advertisement