Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water going tepid on some taps!

Options
  • 22-12-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a Potterton Puma 80E sealed combi boiler. The central heating side is fine, but suddenly a problem has developed on the domestic hot water side.

After leaving the boiler, the domestic hot water pipe first tees off to feed a shower. The original pipe then continues, and a 2nd tee runs under the floor to the bathroom, where it feeds in turn a sink, and then a bath where it terminates. The original pipe continues past the 2nd tee and terminates at the kitchen sink.

The water temperature at the kitchen sink is always piping hot, but the shower, sink and bath start off hot, but then go tepid after less than a minute. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Presumably the shower is a mixer type with hot water from the boiler and cold from a tank in the roof? If so I'd suspect that the shower valve might be leaking cold water into the hot, but it is only a guess and just as likley to be wrong:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stratman 1

Art 6 - thanks for your comment.

The boiler is a sealed system, so there's no cold water tank. The cold supply to the shower (and the boiler) comes straight from the incoming main.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jrodd

Dunno what could be causeing that.
    ANy more info avaolavle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Stratman 1 wrote: »
    Art 6 - thanks for your comment.

The boiler is a sealed system, so there's no cold water tank. The cold supply to the shower (and the boiler) comes straight from the incoming main.

Paul

Yes, I accept that the boiler is a sealed system, but that system would normally only supply the radiators and the hot water coil in a copper cylinder. Hot water for taps & showers etc would normally come from that cylinder and would be at whatever pressure the height of the water tank in the attic produces. If the cold supply to the shower is from the mains then it will probably be at a higher pressure. The only guess I can offer is that I recall a situation where, when a new housing estate was built, the council boosted the water mains pressure to try to maintain the supply, thus displaying a lack of understanding of flow in pipes. It played havoc with all sorts of mixer devices in households.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stratman 1

More info on the system, if anyone'e interested! There's no cylinder, or tanks. It's a ground floor flat, with the incoming main feeding the boiler, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, bath and shower. No connections to the loft. There's 2 separate hot water outputs from the boiler - one feeds the central heating, and the other feeds the domestic h.w. as mentioned before. There's a manually operated pressure equalisation valve and visual pressure gauge for checking it's OK (which it is).

The system was working fine until a few days ago. The weird thing is how the kitchen tap temperature can be really hot, but the others, which are fed from the same output, start out OK, but then go tepid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement