Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell and Gov response

Options
  • 22-12-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭

Do politicians look stupid when they go through these dog and pony shows. Does anyone have the slightest belief that Dell will make/change billion dollar decisions based on some blarney from an Irish minister. I gather "they" even want biffo to make an appearance. Wtf is the IDA for?

Dell jobs in Limerick are under threat
    Monday, 22 December 2008 15:24
    Thousands of jobs at Dell's facility in Limerick could be under threat, despite a Government bid to save them.

It has been confirmed that both the Tánaiste and the Minister for Defence met senior Dell executives at the computer giant's headquarters in Texas last Monday in a bid to save 2,000 jobs at the company's Limerick factory.

The jobs are under threat by a multi-billion dollar review of Dell's worldwide operations.

The company told Tánaiste Mary Coughlan and Defence Minister Willie O'Dea that with falling demand, cost cuts would be going ahead.

In a statement last night, the Tanaiste said they were told Dell is 'continuing its internal consideration of exactly what its new strategy means for its operations in Limerick.'

The company has undertaken to 'communicate the details both to staff and to the Government as soon as it is in a position to do so', she added.

The Tánaiste and the Minister say they 'communicated to Mr Michael Dell the significant benefits that the Limerick operation brings to the company, the city and the region.'

They said the Government would provide whatever assistance they could to Dell with a view to retaining a significant Dell presence in Limerick.

For its part. the company expressed its wish to continue to work with the IDA and the Government and agreed to revert to the Tánaiste as soon as it had finalised its detailed plans for the Limerick operations.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But sure isn't Michael Dell Orish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buynow

It definitely looks a little strange, but they get more out of it by doing it.

They get to say they did something about and free junket!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Biffo and Co. can bail out Dell as well. As if Dell are going to listen to the financial incompetents of this Government with regard to financial acumen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

in the words of the Boss:

'foreman says these jobs are going boys
    and they ain't coming back'

Limerick needs to look to the next source of employment and revenue. Hopefully next time, it's long-term sustainable (i.e. domestic)

on the bright side, maybe the Moustache will get voted out in the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Jasus could we not have sent any one other than Coughlan and Odea
    what must Michael Dell have thought of this duet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Darsad wrote: »

She was probably asleep and I doubt if Dell understood a word from O'Dea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Dell had a meeting with staff yesterday and are very unhappy with O' Dea blabbing about 2000 jobs going they said they haven't decided yet and he had no right to say that. Even so I can't see any good outcome here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Darsad wrote: »

Biffo may as well have sent over Podge & Rodge as these two idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

About the best they can hope for is a phased closure. They'll go east spend a few years there, and then its China or India. Chasing the cheap labour and favours, presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Nodin wrote: »
    About the best they can hope for is a phased closure. They'll go east spend a few years there, and then its China or India. Chasing the cheap labour and favours, presumably.

That's business. If you're reliant on a multi-national in order to make a living then you're house is made of cards in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pfft, the government sent Mary Coughlan, Willie O'Dea and a begging letter. Not exactly the way to impress eh?

Useless government strikes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's business. If you're reliant on a multi-national in order to make a living then you're house is made of cards in many ways.

Yep. It's a ticking clock from day one. 10-20 years down the line, odds are the Polish will be seeing the same thing going on. Harsh though, all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

So when is the striking gonna start?

^These boys know how to hold the owners to ransom... A whole week of power cuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Pfft, the government sent Mary Coughlan, Willie O'Dea and a begging letter. Not exactly the way to impress eh?

You could have sent the finest executives Enterprise Ireland has and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Useless government strikes again.
    Cantab. wrote: »

^These boys know how to hold the owners to ransom... A whole week of power cuts!

fyp :)
    I haven't even watched but I remember that first slide from Reeling in the Years, now there was a bitter and pointless strike

Why would Dell workers strike? Dare I say not all the jobs are highly skilled and there are plently of unemployed people in Limerick who happily cross a picket line to work for a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Cantab. wrote:

mikemac wrote: »
    not all the jobs are highly skilled and there are plently of unemployed people in Limerick who happily cross a picket line to work for a few months

You reckon?! FAS had to pay for shuttle buses to get the lazy ***** who refused to work out to Dell when they first arrived.

Jonny arrives at dole office
    Says to clerk I've no job and need money
    Clerk says: no problem, there's a bus outside that's leaving in 20 minutes that'll give you a job in Dell
    Jonny gets on bus and never looks back

And besides. I doubt the hard shaw inhabitants of Moyross have any inclination to down their knives and get a job in the local butchers any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I haven't even watched but I remember that first slide from Reeling in the Years, now there was a bitter and pointless strike

Why would Dell workers strike? Dare I say not all the jobs are highly skilled and there are plently of unemployed people in Limerick who happily cross a picket line to work for a few months

To clarify...when I said strikes again I didn't mean in the "not working" sense. I meant it in the literal sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To clarify...when I said strikes again I didn't mean in the "not working" sense. I meant it in the literal sense.

Oops :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

QUOTE] They should have sent Jackie Hely Rae and an interpreter just to prove how backward we still are in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Laughable! They don't bother to intervene when a company in which they are shareholders pulls out of Shannon, but they expect other companies over which they have no influence to change their plans to do something similar!!!!

Kettle, pot!! (or should that be self-serving, two-faced gob****es...)

This talk of Dell letting go 2,000 people is really showing up our "partnership" model for what it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Darragh29 wrote: »
    This talk of Dell letting go 2,000 people is really showing up our "partnership" model for what it really is.

One might equally conclude that it shows up what big business in a free market is like.

Or you might conclude that it shows what the nature of recession is -- even a recession precipitated by the capitalists in banking systems.

Dell is having difficulties world-wide, even in economies that do not have a partnership approach.

You consistently pick on one thing that you don't like, and blame that for everything that is going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I feel sorry for the government being caught blind sided by a Muilti-National, that is going to move because it is more profitable to do so. Its an economic phenomenon know as "WHAT THE FCUK DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN" as soon as they saw more profits elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dob74 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the government being caught blind sided by a Muilti-National, that is going to move because it is more profitable to do so. Its an economic phenomenon know as "WHAT THE FCUK DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN" as soon as they saw more profits elsewhere.

They shouldnt be blind sided though , the IDA should have years of experience with dealing with companies like fruit of the loom etc. surely they have metrics where they can work out what particular industry sectors are likey to do.
    It only goes to show that the gov/civil service are just a bunch of pro cyclical trend followers, I have seen no evidence that they saw any of this coming

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Didn't Dell get a "loan" to the tune of several million yo yos when they came into Ireland? Thanks for the wasted money to the taxpayers expense IDA.
    It's time to learn from the Latin Americans.
    "Thank you very much Michael for the factory and have a safe trip back to Round Rock."

You won't hear a mention of the "strike" word in Dell, their employees are far too institutionalised for that, and they'd all be terrified now of their redundancy being kicked down to statutory minimum now if they tried to even hold a group discussion on their future.

This is the next layer of of our economic house of cards to fall, the departure of thousands of "high tech, high skill and stable", jobs will be exposed now as in fact being, "low skill, low tech, assembly line, exportable-at-the-drop-of-a-hat-jobs"...

I've had the experience of working for a MNC in Ireland and my experience with the one I worked for, (and from what I hear, Dell isn't much different), was that it was a cult like organisation full of completely institutionalised workers, many of whom wouldn't get a job anywhere else...

Good riddance I say...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Too many companies, and indeed the whole city, put their eggs all in one basket with Dell.

As for worker unity to form a strike, it doesn't exist. Dell introduced reward schemes for people to come up with ways of saving the company money a few years ago.

The end result is that the guy sitting beside you would stab you in the back to save the company money and get the reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You won't hear a mention of the "strike" word in Dell, their employees are far too institutionalised for that, and they'd all be terrified now of their redundancy being kicked down to statutory minimum now if they tried to even hold a group discussion on their future.

This is the next layer of of our economic house of cards to fall, the departure of thousands of "high tech, high skill and stable", jobs will be exposed now as in fact being, "low skill, low tech, assembly line, exportable-at-the-drop-of-a-hat-jobs"...

I've had the experience of working for a MNC in Ireland and my experience with the one I worked for, (and from what I hear, Dell isn't much different), was that it was a cult like organisation full of completely institutionalised workers, many of whom wouldn't get a job anywhere else...

Good riddance I say...

Very succinct summary. I wonder when all the other "high tech" workers in this country will realise that they are just as as expendable?. The more I look at the make up of our topsey turvey false economy the more I realise just how terminally f*cked it is. What have we got left?

Farming - We have no control over agricultural policy anymore, we do what the EU tells us to do.

Fishing - We gave away our fishing rights .

Natural resources- We give them away to multinational corporations for peanuts .

Homegrown Industry - practically non-existent .

Shoddy houses- who would be stupid enough to buy one now?.

British chain stores- many will F off soon enough.

The "service" sector- (call centers and the like) on their way to India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

The end result is that the guy sitting beside you would stab you in the back to save the company money and get the reward.

In all likelyhood that person will be out on their arse not so long after they sold everyone else out. Solidarity might start to look a little more appealing then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

sovtek wrote: »
    In all likelyhood that person will be out on their arse not so long after they sold everyone else out. Solidarity might start to look a little more appealing then.

Maybe, but it would be too late as they would already be on their arse. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Advertisement