Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell and Gov response

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If Obama decides to rein in the overseas American corporations and drag them back to the homeland, then there will be no more coming here.

As for Europe, I don't think that Ireland is close enough to the action. Everybody knows how expensive Ireland has become, so somebody is going to have their work cut out for them.

When you take a drive around Central and Eastern Europe and see the brand spanking new factories all over the place, you can tell that investors have got no incentive to come in this direction. One of the new ones that I spotted in the Czech Republic was owned by a German company, Kostal. I was wondering why they still had a couple of places in Ireland. As they manufacture auto parts, and have since put many of their Irish workers on short time, I can see them vanishing soon, leaving a few hundred more on the dole.

This is no time for a country to be run by procrastinating incompetents.

We are in a tough spot. We can kiss nearly all our manfacturing goodbye. We got too full of ourselves. We are way too expensive. Dell closing has been on the cards for awhile and still nothing was done. This place could be like Greece in a year:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dob74 wrote: »
    We are in a tough spot. We can kiss nearly all our manfacturing goodbye. We got too full of ourselves. We are way too expensive. Dell closing has been on the cards for awhile and still nothing was done. This place could be like Greece in a year:mad:

Excluding the sunshine and the cheap booze.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

oxygen wrote: »
    Points I would agree with:

We need to reduce the national minimum wage, or if possibly, more the average 3rd level grad wage. Its currently €8.somthing here. In Poland its €3. It would be tough times for us, but worth it in the long run. The only problem is the like of myself (and plenty of Limerick people I'm sure), who are tied into 30 year mortgage payments.

I would say if we lower the Corp tax any more, the EU will come down pretty hard on us. It's fairly low as it is.

I think we need to support more homegrown business models. The last two companies I worked for were Irish companies, and the EI were more of a hindrance than a help, seriously.

And on your point on Irish not being intelligent enough to support Irish business is a non sensible point, you should stop making it.

Sorry lads but you can't just lower minimum wage. The problem is the cost of living in this country. We let it go up and up and up in the last 10 years. 8.65 is min wage here in Poland around 3. Buy anything in Poland of at least 60% cheaper than Ireland. We are the second most expensive country in the EU to live in.
    So the only way to lower wage is to lower the cost of living.

And the comments about IQ come on Morris. Speak for youself! lol
    National averages have nothing to do with how a country can compete on a global scale. It only takes a small percentage of so called high IQ people to start an Irish owned business. This countries problem is the TD's and ministers are only out for personal gain. Just like the bank managers and most others on the top tier of the pay scales.
    Cowen knows he won't be in control of the country come next election. Willie O'dea and that thick cow went to the states in December for what?
    I'll tell you what to sort out how much employees will recieve when the plant closes. Nothing else, but may be a free holiday in Texas.
    If the so called low IQ'd factory workers knew when the poland plant was being built that Dell would be pulling out. How comes the government didn't know.
    I'm just going to stop typing now, as I know I'll work myself up.

Just one more thing. I@ve heard Banta have given their employees 6 weeks for every year, not capped and not only that. Six of their best weeks including shift money and Overtime.
    A friend of mine, more or less the same money per hr as me. I'm in Dell 12 years they are in banta 10 years. I'm getting approx 28000, compared to 61000 from Banta.
    And thats why alot Dell employees are p1ssed off. Because alot of the lads from Banta work alongside Dell lads doing the same work. And end up shafted.
    Thats what you get for your loyalty to a job. Even people in Dell 7 years are getting the same money as people their 15 years. Due to the 52 to weeks cap. And thats almost criminal.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BuachaillAbroad

I think in Ireland there is a serious problem regarding manufacturing: I think a majority of Irish people think if you work in a job where your hands get dirty then somehow you are below them.

Look at Germany & Japan: there having a manufacturing job is rated highly...then look at the UK & how f***ed they've become in manufacturing (British Leyland for example)

Honestly I think manufacturing in Ireland is being killed off. My dad is a weaver & has a small woollen mill (Only employ 5 people). For years the IDA has been pushing him to outsource to India & China...WTF: a small business having all there products made in China then packaged in Ireland as "Made in Ireland"?!...Which happens by the way!!

We have 5 dyeing vats which is about 20% of the national dyeing capacity of ireland in our small mill! Bloody joke

Ireland is a small country but we are the first stop from US to Europe: we should be a hub for Europe or US manufacture...we just need the drive to do it

Just look at the Dail: all accountants, lawyers, bankers, philosphers...not an engineer (well I think yer man Ryan from the Greens is but still), tradesman there at all...
    I don't know who said it but I think it really sums up my feelings:
    "A country that loses its manufacturing emasculates itself"
    So concludes my rant!!

If Obama decides to rein in the overseas American corporations and drag them back to the homeland, then there will be no more coming here.

As for Europe, I don't think that Ireland is close enough to the action. Everybody knows how expensive Ireland has become, so somebody is going to have their work cut out for them.

When you take a drive around Central and Eastern Europe and see the brand spanking new factories all over the place, you can tell that investors have got no incentive to come in this direction. One of the new ones that I spotted in the Czech Republic was owned by a German company, Kostal. I was wondering why they still had a couple of places in Ireland. As they manufacture auto parts, and have since put many of their Irish workers on short time, I can see them vanishing soon, leaving a few hundred more on the dole.

This is no time for a country to be run by procrastinating incompetents.

Obama could do for ireland, what Bush did for Iraq..........:(:(

• Advertisement

Obama could do for ireland, what Bush did for Iraq..........:(:(

In view of today's news, I won't mention the names of any other new factories that I saw in the Czech Republic. :eek:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0115/kostal.html

In view of today's news, I won't mention the names of any other new factories that I saw in the Czech Republic. :eek:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0115/kostal.html

A+

Well spoted, Sad day for Mallow.

Tell me more of future.

Here's one, bord Gais are going to report record profits.
    Privatisation is already in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The reality is that this decision was made months ago. O'Dea and Coghlan flew out afterwards. Why? To be seen to do something about it, not to ACTUALLY do something about it. The local investors rumour is the same thing. It's so the politicians can say sure we tried everything. If the Govt had really cared, they would have gone over in September when the review of the plant's future was underway. Instead they went after a national newspaper wrote that the decision had already been made and then leaked their "last minute rescue bid" to other newspapers.

A+

Well spoted, Sad day for Mallow.

Tell me more of future.

Here's one, bord Gais are going to report record profits.
    Privatisation is already in the works.

Unfortunately I can't get a new crystal ball due to the Waterford Crystal situation. :(

I think in Ireland there is a serious problem regarding manufacturing: I think a majority of Irish people think if you work in a job where your hands get dirty then somehow you are below them.

Look at Germany & Japan: there having a manufacturing job is rated highly...then look at the UK & how f***ed they've become in manufacturing (British Leyland for example)

Honestly I think manufacturing in Ireland is being killed off. My dad is a weaver & has a small woollen mill (Only employ 5 people). For years the IDA has been pushing him to outsource to India & China...WTF: a small business having all there products made in China then packaged in Ireland as "Made in Ireland"?!...Which happens by the way!!

We have 5 dyeing vats which is about 20% of the national dyeing capacity of ireland in our small mill! Bloody joke

Ireland is a small country but we are the first stop from US to Europe: we should be a hub for Europe or US manufacture...we just need the drive to do it

Just look at the Dail: all accountants, lawyers, bankers, philosphers...not an engineer (well I think yer man Ryan from the Greens is but still), tradesman there at all...
    I don't know who said it but I think it really sums up my feelings:
    "A country that loses its manufacturing emasculates itself"
    So concludes my rant!!

+1

Why does the gov think finanical instituations are going to set up hear. I wouldn't touch this place with a ten foot pole. Bad planning, everything too expensive(insurance, esb, etc.) corruption. We need to produce things and stop living in the dream world, where we are all kings and our servants(the chinese) will make everything cheap. China is going to have to float its currency soon, nevermind call in some of the money they lent to the yanks.
    "You most produce something with your life and stop trying to live off the buying and selling of others" Karl Fox to Bud Fox in Wall Street(1987)

• Advertisement
Advertisement