Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SGA 5x20: Enemy At The Gate **SPOILERS**

• 22-12-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭

Leaked preair. Might be lacking some polish, but its the real thing, apparently.

From TV.com:
    Todd informs Atlantis that a rogue Wraith has acquired several Z.P.M.'s to power a formidable new Hive ship. When the Daedalus engages it in battle but is unable to defeat it, the team gets a message indicating it is headed to Earth.

Enemy At The Gate Verdict 45 votes

Going Out In Great Style
    0% 0 votes
    Going Out with a Flourish
    51% 23 votes
    Going Out with a Ripple of Applause
    31% 14 votes
    Going Out with a Booooooooo
    8% 4 votes
    Going Going Gone.... Good Riddance
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Damn fine Ep - cant belive its the end:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Damn, I didn't know this was the last episode. Great episode, special effects looked great in it. It all felt a bit rushed though. I think it would have been better if they split it into two.

Also, whens the film coming out?????? I need my fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Damn fine episode. Happy they carried through what happened in Vegas. Reminded me a lot of SG1's The Lost City which kinda completes the circle nicely between the two shows. Todd is the man. Hope he'll be in the movie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very happy with this and a better series finale than SG-1's "Unending".

Everyone got presence on screen, with things to do including the re-occurring cast like Zelenka, Lorne, and Beckett. Also some nice cameos from Carter, Davis, and (most significantly :)) Walter which felt natural to the plot rather than forced guest appearances.

Plot itself had a huge amount - it felt a little rushed at times and might have worked better over a two-parter but, having said, you could hardly ever be bored during this. Sometimes it had me a little puzzled - should Sheppard really have been able to get onboard so easily and should one nuke have worked so well (even from the interior)? And why on earth (or over earth...) did they not guard their gate better (but then we'd have to ask the same of all of the System Lords!). But they're niggling things and the plot dove-tailed very nicely with "The Lost City" which, by co-incidence, the OH just watched yesterday.

Not sure what we'll have for the movie, but hopefully it will feature Todd who was as great as ever here. Pleased to see the last two episodes were of a high calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

was it just me or did major davis suddenly get really old looking?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Really liked the nod to Hammond when Carter said they renamed the ship.

Yeah, meant to comment on it - was very well done. It was good they paid tribute to him and let his character die in a manner that reflected how he passed in life, without making it into some cheap piece for a plot.

He really did deserve the little tribute. He helped make the early stargate episodes what they were.

Twas a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, loved the Hammond tribute and it was very fitting for them to reference it at the end of SGA as it was the last SG series Don S.Davis appeared in... (and timeline-wise, the events here take place after Continuum).

Good episode overall, I'm sorry to see the show go but it was a nice ending and indeed better than SG-1 - I thought they were going to go out on a cliffhanger with this one too, leaving things to wrap up in the movie, but it did end up leaving no loose ends, at least in the context of this episode. I'm wondering what they plan to do with the movie now...

I'll have to re-watch it with the proper SFX though when it officially airs :).

• Advertisement

I actually thought most of the special effects looked good for a proper episode not a pre-air.

I actually thought most of the special effects looked good for a proper episode not a pre-air.
    Yeah when I saw "Temp VFX" pop up onscreen, I was worried I'd see something really sketchy like we've seen before in other pre-airs but I really couldn't see any difference between them and the normal output. Which was good as the episode was clearly where they spent all the money they skimped for the previous few.

The most obvious parts are the beams fired from the hive and the drones from Atlantis - those look better in finished episodes. The battle against the darts over the desert also looked a bit dodgy, but overall, the effects were certainly very good for "temp VFX"....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the stargates looked pretty hilarious in this episode, there were a few other things as well.. might think about watching the proper version to compare some of the battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

what can i say

This episode was better then sex!!(and by sex i mean all other ending's for shows)

really was a fantastic episode all and all.

i dont think there could have been a better ending for atlantis then them
    Landing it on earth right near the golden gate bridge*

i have to agree that the tribute to hammond was the best part.

also from last season you find out about the pheonix that was being built and then in this episode was renamed to for a tribute to hammond.

in the word(s) of teal'c INDEED, this was a a brilliant episode and a excellent ending for atlantis.

NOW bring on the film as what AlmightyCushion said, i too need my fix as im starting to get the shakes.

Oh has anyone any idea what secret mission the Odyssey was on that it couldn't be recalled? Anything to do with 'Stargate: Universe'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ixoy wrote: »
    Oh has anyone any idea what secret mission the Odyssey was on that it couldn't be recalled? Anything to do with 'Stargate: Universe'?

I thought that myself but i dont know how, i think this "wormhole drive" will be the method of reaching the SGU because if the
    SGU ship was really launched that long ago and is still functioning so the only way to rech something so far away would be either by zpm powered gate or wormhole drive
    but id say the oddossy's mission is related to SG1's new movie - actually that would make no sence because then carter couldnt be in it...

Im sure we will find out what it was up to i mean no reason to mention the Tsun Tsu or the other newb ship instead of the oddossy unless it had some role to play in t he overall story arc,

I would prefer the General Hamond to be the ship (if there is one) in the next SG1 & SG1 movies.

I was interested why the jafa didnt send a few motherships or why they had no other assistance.

User45701 wrote: »
    I was interested why the jafa didnt send a few motherships or why they had no other assistance.

Didn't they mention at some point that the hive got to earth weeks ahead of what they originally thought it would take it to get there? There was probably no time for any allied ships to reach earth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

a question
    when the sgc found out that they couldnt dial out, and then they talked about the order of precedence of the gates,
    wouldn't the atlantis gate when it came to the earth blocked the escape from the hive?

encryptix wrote: »
    a question
    when the sgc found out that they couldnt dial out, and then they talked about the order of precedence of the gates,
    wouldn't the atlantis gate when it came to the earth blocked the escape from the hive?
    No - they dialled the Atlantis gate in the Hive and dialled to the Alpha site. Then the Atlantis gate was destroyed in the explosion and so they could safely dial back to to the SGC afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Fantastic finale, everything worked really well. I'm glad they finished with such quality after a few stinkers this season.

Whats all this talk about a movie, has there been any information released yet? (Just one movie or a couple? plot details? when we'll see it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Am I the only one who thought this was rubbish ? Was seriously impressed with vegas but this as the season and series finalé*?? bah!

It was completely rushed and full of holes.

1 simple example, when they found out that when they dialed Earth it opened a wormhole to the wraith ship. Why not just throw in a nuke ? :confused:

They could have done so much better with this, the story was ok but it was badly put together.

I was expecting a Joe Flanigan suicide self-sacrifice run at the Wraith when all hope was lost where he actually DID die.

I am really disappointed, SG:A was one of my favourite shows and this last episode has just tainted it. The same as the last 2 'movies' destroyed SG1 in my mind.

Summary: This episode was rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was disappointed ronon was revived. honestly, it would have been good of someone to die in the episode. I guess they wanted him around for movies though.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending. I giant flying city comes crashing through the atmosphere and *nobody* sees it? Screw the cloak, thats just ghey. The Stargate Universe is incredibly Orwellian. The city would have been better off publicly exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its the end ??? I thought there was another couple of episodes :(

Good episode, crap ending.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Its the end ??? I thought there was another couple of episodes :(

Good episode, crap ending.
    Nope. That's all she wrote.

nice place to leave off for a movie though. still, that should have been the movie right there - there was a lot of material to work with.
    User45701 wrote: »
    id say the oddossy's mission is related to SG1's new movie - actually that would make no sence because then carter couldnt be in it...

Dont count her out. She'll have her own ship soon after the events of Enemy at the Gate remember.

Overheal wrote: »
    Dont count her out. She'll have her own ship soon after the events of Enemy at the Gate remember.
    Indeed - maybe she could be involved in some sort of rescue mission? It might also allow them to (sigh) re-ignite the Carter/Jack romance there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Who was your one who helped Ronon out of the med bay did i miss an ep??

Very very poor last ep up there with DS9 for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

sioda wrote: »
    Who was your one who helped Ronon out of the med bay did i miss an ep??

I had no idea who she was either? But she managed to get into the last shoot of the series so someone must know who she is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Volvagia wrote: »
    I had no idea who she was either? But she managed to get into the last shoot of the series so someone must know who she is.
    Maybe a love interest for the film??

I'll have to rewatch that, missed her whoever she was.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was wondering who she was myself. Amelia Banks - Gate Techinican (Sharon Taylor) seemingly. I had to google it. She's been in a couple of eps before, didn't make much of an impression on me before. Maybe she got a new bra or something. :)

I'd say a love interest in a spin off or something.

I'd love to see a spin off of Atlantis with just Ronon, it'd be pretty cool.

He's a f*cking badass :cool:

MarkR wrote: »
    Maybe she got a new bra or something. :)
    :D
    KTRIC wrote: »
    I'd love to see a spin off of Atlantis with just Ronon, it'd be pretty cool.

He's a f*cking badass :cool:
    I was reading this yesterday. I love some of those episodes, some of the best of Atlantis there. Pity they never did anything worthwhile with his character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Took me a moment as well. You wouldn't know her without the uniform.

Not a bad episode, not a great finale. Like some other disappointed Ronan didn't stay dead.

• Advertisement

Why make him die at all if youre just going to revive him 3 minutes later? SERIOUSLY? When you think about it, what absolute filler bullsh!t.

Spinoff? Ehh, he was good but he wasnt that good. He probably got more solo-episodes than teal'c ever did. Which when you think about it, is sad.

I thought they had made a bold move in killing him, made the final episode feel all the more final. But then they brought him back :rolleyes:

exactly my point - it was cheap. very cheap. Now that you mention it it reminds me of the gate room explosion earlier in the season when Shep just brushes the dust of his shoulder and suddenly he's fine

Or the time the building/warehouse/Michael's lab fell on them. Season 4 finale anyone....

I would have mentioned, but as sudden as that ending was, they spent half the next episode under rubble, so it was fair carry-on. Not to mention that finale was shyte for the magical reset/future atlantis tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Mixed feelings about this one. Much better finale than SG-1 but several dissappointments.
    This would have been much better spread over two episodes. Everything felt a bit rushed. Where are the ZPM's Todd- 2 seconds later- here we are just through the gate with the ZPM's.

Also ondered why O'Neill couldn't control the chair on Earth?

Ronan should have stayed dead. Completely took any tension away when he was revived. And his new girlfriend? I missed Vegas so I'm assuming she turned up there or she was thrown in at the last minute because she'll be a major character in the movie.

Did Tayla forget she has a baby- slight mention or maternal worry about abandoning it at any point? Come to think about it, the writers seemed to forget she had a family fairly soon into this series too.

Would almost have liked to see Atlantis destroyed at the end. The main crew were off so I thought that it might happen. But then they went and did the SG-1 thing of ending an ep by someone in command trying to get through to the ship/ crew and a moment of silence before they hear a response.

Good things...
    For a while there the wraith ship was a great scary threat- bits of this reminded me of The Best of Both Worlds with the unstoppable hive ship heading to Earth (pity it was so easy to destroy in the end). Was great for the wraith to be scary again.

MacKay - enough said

Ronan's line when he was revived "that was very good of you" or something to that effect was almost worth him being revived.

The attack on Earth. Very well done.

Overall I really did enjoy it but it felt rushed and not properly thought out. It could have been a fantastic finale but was just a very good regular episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hmm

It's a shame I loved this program so much, the ending apart from ronan dieing then living and this girl who apeared out of no where and talaghs daughter and few other bit's

enjoyed Its anoying knowing itle never been on tv again...:(

but hey star gate universe has some what a lot to live up to going to miss it tho.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

The girl, I think, popped up in the last episode with Michael and the hybrids. I think herself and Ronan fought a couple of them in hand-to-hand combat during the episode. It turns out the character is supposed to be some kind of black-belt in kick-boxing or something like that. At the time I think Ronan was supposed to be impressed by that. I think if the writers had more time there may have been a love-interest/story there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

roar_ie wrote: »
    The girl, I think, popped up in the last episode with Michael and the hybrids. I think herself and Ronan fought a couple of them in hand-to-hand combat during the episode. It turns out the character is supposed to be some kind of black-belt in kick-boxing or something like that. At the time I think Ronan was supposed to be impressed by that. I think if the writers had more time there may have been a love-interest/story there.

Yep thats it, after that ep I was sure they'd have some type of love affair written for the 2 characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone else find it a bit strange they seem so utterly unconcerned about leaving Pegasus to the mercy of the wraith? Sure its great they destroyed a hive but what about the thousands of others, that they unleashed, which now have free reign over a defenceless galaxy?

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone else find it a bit strange they seem so utterly unconcerned about leaving Pegasus to the mercy of the wraith? Sure its great they destroyed a hive but what about the thousands of others, that they unleashed, which now have free reign over a defenceless galaxy?

Thats the Americans for ya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Crap last episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

As an Episode it was good
    As a finale, not so good, but I wouldnt say bad.

I liked the way there were refrences to SG1 (Hammond, Walter etc) very naturaly as It felt like this was the ending of both series rather than just Atlantis.
    I didnt like the rushed atmosphere of the story- as someone said, they had just found out where the ZPMs where and they had them straight away.

I did like the end sequence, with all the crew looking out on the sunset. Awwwh! It gave it the more kind of "its over" feeling then Unending did, which would have been good, if they all died IMO
    I thought some of the effects during the dogfight over the desert were rough..but thats just a real minute thing.

Overall I thought It to be a good episode, but an OK finale.
    All this talk about Stargate Universe aswell, Im more looking forward to the Atlantis Films, I really did prefer Atlantis to SG-1, apart from the endless alternate realities but how and ever...:D

JohnK wrote: »

But it's not really the end of the line anyway, since a film is coming which will almost certainly get them back to Pegasus... So they were just enjoying the moment, but it doesn't mean they will just leave the city there permanently...

EmoMatt15 wrote: »
    As an Episode it was good
    As a finale, not so good, but I wouldnt say bad.

I liked the way there were refrences to SG1 (Hammond, Walter etc) very naturaly as It felt like this was the ending of both series rather than just Atlantis.
    I didnt like the rushed atmosphere of the story- as someone said, they had just found out where the ZPMs where and they had them straight away.

I did like the end sequence, with all the crew looking out on the sunset. Awwwh! It gave it the more kind of "its over" feeling then Unending did, which would have been good, if they all died IMO
    :D

Would agree with most of what you have said. Was a decent episode but as a finale I was expecting something a whole lot better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement