Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like I'm moving to Perth in the New Year

Options
  • 22-12-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Ye, so my job finishes up on the 9th, and myself and the missus are getting a bit bored with Sydney. Perth seems like the destination we've decided on.

Can anyone give advice on jobs in Perth? Actually, we want to stay an extra year so will probably need to get "specified work". Can anyone advise on what sort of work would be good for both of us, ie working on the same site/farm/area?

Also, since I've never been to Perth, advice would be welcome in all aspects, from getting there, to work to accomodation.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

booked me plane tickets for the 12th. should be getting into perth taht afternoon.

Should i book accomodation first or is it easy enough to get a hostel in the city? I still havent got a job sorted yet. Must go check the noticeboards in the hostels when i get there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i think the hostels are pretty busy. All seem to be full of Irish people and Kiwis. But if you book in advance you should be fine.

cool.

My only worry is getting from the airport to the town or whereever im going. I should be fine in a taxi though, ye? I'll probably jsut head for the centre of town and go from there. then i'll need to find fruit picking work fast and organise my travel to wherever that may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The_B_Man wrote: »
    cool.

My only worry is getting from the airport to the town or whereever im going. I should be fine in a taxi though, ye? I'll probably jsut head for the centre of town and go from there. then i'll need to find fruit picking work fast and organise my travel to wherever that may be!

Yeah a taxi from the airport shouldn't cost too much. Not too far of a drive either (no more than half an hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Get a shuttle from the airport. Its cheaper and since your arriving in the afternoon your in no rush for bed. Theyre the mini buses with the trailer attached. Will drop you off anywhere within reason.
    The hostel I moved out of was slowly getting more empty as time went by. Was in the Globe on Wellington opposite the bus station. Still think there are alot of beds free there. Good few Kiwis and germans for some strange reason. Was an ok spot. Being so central was a huge advantage. Has its drawbacks though. No booze after 1030pm gets annoying at times.
    Best of luck finding work :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i think there's a lot of fruit picking work down in margaret river, with the vinyards etc. That might be your best bet for seasonal work.

ooh, so i could eat the grapes while i work, if i get peckish?

also, the missus will be accompanying me so that wont be too strenuous for her little self! :p

OK, so I'm starting to book places now.

Can anyone recommend the east of perth or the west?

Here's a paste from what I've got on threads here:

Hostels:
    Globe on Wellington
    Underground backpackers on Newcastle street - Party central
    Bambu on Aberdeen Street - bambu.net.au - extra party central
    Billabong on Beaufort street
    beatty lodge

Jobs:
    vineyards at margaret river
    West Australian Newspaper
    recruit@integritystaffing.com.au - govt jobs

Accomodation:
    West Australian Newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Well hostel wise the billabong is a bit out of the centre if thats what your after. Also it has a 2 week limit on stays but it does have a pool and you can invite guests.
    The underground has its own bar but you can only drink there and nowhere else.Supposed to be a good atmosphere there.
    Havent heard much on the Bambu or Beatty lodge.
    The swan barracks had a bad name but its been done up since. Heard mixed reports about it.
    Jobs well Im still looking myself so probably no help to you there.
    As for accomodation www.gumtree.com.au and www.quokka.com.au are useful aswell. More Europeans and travellers use gumtree whereas more locals use quokka. I was lucky enough to get sorted on gumtree.
    If theres anything else just ask. :p

Advertisement