Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wrong phone stops mms working?

• 22-12-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

I called meteor today because i haven't been able to receive mms for a while. it keeps telling me to go to the website to view it. i have the right settings, i can send mms and i've tried it in two different phones

the agent went off to the technical team and when she came back she said that it was because they had the wrong phone listed for me on the website. she said they'd have to change it and it should be working in 24 hours

now that sounds to me like BS because i've had my sim card in dozens of phones for years and i've never had this problem. has anyone ever heard anything like that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

As a matter of interest ..What type of phone did they "Think" you were using..? \i remember this happening with Voda with a Mot V980 I had soon after mms was launched..\it wasnt just a matter of you hasving the settings correct in the phone ..they had to have it enabled and type set to the phone..I wouldnt have thought that was required now though..maybe Meteor are using different technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have a problem previously with Meteor and MMS. Went on for about 2 months before they finally told me "oh, yah .. there's a random few customers who just can't send MMS .. sorry about that .. we'll fix it soon" .. . unless it's a case of this?

You didn't ring 3 by mistake did you? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it was set to a nokia 1108 because i once sent settings to one of those phones. It's possible that they had to do something because i changed my phone but it just seemed ridiculous to me because i've changed my phone dozens of times since i joined meteor without telling them and it's never been a problem. Maybe it's only certain phones?

@random, yeah i know about that problem but that happened suddenly and affected loads of people. I don't think that had anything to do with having the wrong phone listed on people's accounts

and no i didn't ring 3. I can tell because i didn't get the urge to throw my phone at the wall at any point during the call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

On O2 before I had some problems with MMS. The problem was because iMMS (MMS over iMode and on iMode handsets basically) and MMS were provisioned differently on the account. The network was supposed to detect the phone and the changeover happen automatically and instantly but sometimes it didn't. The network would then have to update the account manually so it was provisioned for MMS or iMMS.

I can't think of anything similiar Meteor might be doing, but maybe someone else can so I'll throw it out there.

• Advertisement

well the less said about imode the better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I called meteor today because i haven't been able to receive mms for a while. it keeps telling me to go to the website to view it. i have the right settings, i can send mms and i've tried it in two different phones

the agent went off to the technical team and when she came back she said that it was because they had the wrong phone listed for me on the website. she said they'd have to change it and it should be working in 24 hours

now that sounds to me like BS because i've had my sim card in dozens of phones for years and i've never had this problem. has anyone ever heard anything like that?
    This is to do with provisioning.

Basically if the system they use to send out MMS settings picks up that your phone isnt MMS compatable then your profile will be set to non-MMS on the MMSC. This will cause the 'To view this MMS message please login to your MyMeteor account' error message.

The most common cause of this is if you leave your phone in for repair and the store give you a loan phone that doesnt support MMS.

Sometimes changing the phone in phone settings is enough to override this provisioning, other times your MMS profile might have to be completely re-provisioned. Its not perfect but its certainly not BS.

ah right that makes sense. So it's not simply that they had the wrong phone listed, it's that the phone they had listed wasn't mms compatible so they never even tried to send it. It's all so clear now :)

well i know the settings myself so i entered them manually and i sent them from the site. They have n95 settings now

The settings they send out for at least the sony ericsson k800i are wrong btw. I saw the same problem before with a w810i but i don't know if that's still wrong. I reported this problem years ago but they don't seem to be doing anything about it

Advertisement