Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jargon

Options
  • 22-12-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I was wondering , well I've been on a lot of websites about heli's (mainly selling them) and while I've figured out what Servos , rotor heads , crystals , pitch , yaw , and a few other things are . I still find myself baffled by Jargon .

Everything seems to be in numbers and letters , I don't have a clue what they're talking about half the time . Is there anywhere that I can go to (website) where I can look up stuff that confuses me , kinda like a dictionary ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

true, it can be confussing starting off and i am not sure of any website that exlains all. There is are good some DVD's and books out there that might help.
    Your best bet though is to find another heli pilot who can ask.
    Anything specific we can help with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Schmowen wrote: »
    I was wondering , well I've been on a lot of websites about heli's (mainly selling them) and while I've figured out what Servos , rotor heads , crystals , pitch , yaw , and a few other things are . I still find myself baffled by Jargon .

Everything seems to be in numbers and letters , I don't have a clue what they're talking about half the time . Is there anywhere that I can go to (website) where I can look up stuff that confuses me , kinda like a dictionary ??
    Why not make a start by listing what confuses you, and maybe we can enlighten you? After all, if there is no website which explains it all, maybe we can start a thread here that does?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Schmowen

Hey RT , Are you on ibf aswell ??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Schmowen

Right RT had a good idea . So what confuses me is ,

Aileron

ccpm systems (wtf are we talking cold war here or what?)

PIT and PLT modes

180 motor (what's the difference between say a 370 motor?)

n20 tail motor (see above)

These are just a few things , I'll be posting more later hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Aileron
    Think of Ailerons being the control surfaces on a planes wing. It controls how the aircraft rolls. In heli terms the function is the same, but it corresponds to how the rotor disk moves left (for roll left) and right for roll right. The elevators are similar but correspond to pitch down or up.
    CCPM
    CCPM or Cyclic/collective pitch mixing is how the 3 servos work in controlling the cyclic and collective function of the blades.
    There is mainly 2 types, mCCPM and eCCPM.
    mCCPM or Mechanical CCPM means that each of the 3 servos work separately to one another, i.e. one server controls elevator, one server controls aileron and the third controls pitch.
    eCCPM or electronic CCPM differs to mCCPM in so that all the servos work together in controlling elevator, aileron and pitch.
    think of it like this, if you want the heli roll left, you will push the cyclic stick left, with mCCPM only one servo will move, with eCCPM, all 3 will move.
    PIT, PLT
    Mainly radio specific on smaller models, the PIT switch is used for setting 0 position on the blades while PLT will set the amount of pitch fed in by the throttle.
    180 motor (what's the difference between say a 370 motor?)
    n20 tail motor (see above)

Numbers relate to power or model of motor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Excellent start, might I make a suggestion that when an acronym is used (such as the PIT or PLT in the previous example), that whatever the acronym stands for be written in too? Possibly a format such as this might help:

1. Acronym
    2. Proper Name
    3. What it is
    4. What it does
    5. Any other relevant info
    6. Helpful links

Advertisement