Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup Kitchen in a south Dublin Suburb

Options
  • 22-12-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else heard the reports that a charity is to open an "Dietary Assistance Programme" in desirable yet not overly exclusive South Dublin postcode, this is in response to reports that once affluent families struggling with mortgages and loans are making cuts to the weekly shopping budget. The charity will assist those who may be feeling the pinch as they wait for the monthly pay cheque, Childrens allowance or Social Welfare to come in.

In the event that a family has no other line of credit the charity will discreetly deliver nutritious foodstuffs to the family home at no cost. I hear the charity is to be a Moslem one but it will provide assistance to all homes regardless of faith, Islamic pamphlets will however come with the food parcels.

Who could have imagined anything like this a year ago. I may be misinformed about this but I am perfectly willing to believe that cash rich Gulf States are willing to fund such a programme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Stop beating around the bush, where is it???

I live beside a soup kitchen, if thats what you want to call it, always a few dudes asleep/drinking outside it, they're all quite friendly though.

I heard some soup kitchens in Paris always have bacon in the soup to keep Muslims away.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

My sis in law told me about it, she didn't or wouldn't tell me the exact location, but as far as I know the promoters do not expect dossers to turn up for bowls of soup. It will be a depot where food can be collected or distributed to families. if it Moslem run I think that Sausage Sarnies will be out of the question. She said it will be non demon as far as recipients are concerned however it will serve a proselytizing function.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Has anyone else heard the reports that a charity is to open an "Dietary Assistance Programme" in desirable yet not overly exclusive South Dublin postcode, this is in response to reports that once affluent families struggling with mortgages and loans are making cuts to the weekly shopping budget. The charity will assist those who may be feeling the pinch as they wait for the monthly pay cheque, Childrens allowance or Social Welfare to come in.

In the event that a family has no other line of credit the charity will discreetly deliver nutritious foodstuffs to the family home at no cost. I hear the charity is to be a Moslem one but it will provide assistance to all homes regardless of faith, Islamic pamphlets will however come with the food parcels.

Who could have imagined anything like this a year ago. I may be misinformed about this but I am perfectly willing to believe that cash rich Gulf States are willing to fund such a programme.

Any links to back up this cockamaney story?
    This sounds like complete and utter blul**** to me, and seems little more than a deliberate attempt to make out Islamic charities as somehow being sinister. Despite the fact that the modus operandi sounds amazingly like the manner in which christian charities operate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

My sis in law told me about it, she didn't or wouldn't tell me the exact location, but as far as I know the promoters do not expect dossers to turn up for bowls of soup. It will be a depot where food can be collected or distributed to families. if it Moslem run I think that Sausage Sarnies will be out of the question. She said it will be non demon as far as recipients are concerned however it will serve a proselytizing function.

Similar to alot of christian missionaries do in places like Africa,South american and Asia?

Does it matter whether a soup kitchen is run by jews,muslims,christians or jedi's etc,or am I missing something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do they do a nice chowder?

Or would it be cheapo, stock-based job?

Where I can find these sinister, soup-dispensing towel-heads?

• Advertisement

fatal wrote: »
    Similar to alot of christian missionaries do in places like Africa,South american and Asia?

Does it matter whether a soup kitchen is run by jews,muslims,christians or jedi's etc,or am I missing something here?

It is exactly how Christan charities operate, nothing sinister about it.

deswalsh wrote: »
    Any links to back up this cockamaney story?
    This sounds like complete and utter blul**** to me, and seems little more than a deliberate attempt to make out Islamic charities as somehow being sinister. Despite the fact that the modus operandi sounds amazingly like the manner in which christian charities operate!

It is exactly how Christian Charities operate, nothing sinister about it.
    No links to the story it was a rumour that was passed on to me. I was more interested in the fact it was supposed to be in a salubrious suburb, but I thought that the Islamic twist was interesting in the light of our own often patronising (black babies) missionary efforts to the developing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The mosque in Clonskeagh afaik already sells soup and other food at very cheap prices and has been doing so for years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It is exactly how Christian Charities operate, nothing sinister about it.
    No links to the story it was a rumour that was passed on to me. I was more interested in the fact it was supposed to be in a salubrious suburb, but I thought that the Islamic twist was interesting in the light of our own often patronising (black babies) missionary efforts to the developing world.

So in fact there is no truth to the story at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I don't care if it's true or not, I'm going to add loads of extra details to it and spread it around.

It's based in Foxrock, and they are looking for building in Howth for a second one. Basically they will give you free food but your kids have to read a page from the Koran and wash the head sweat stains off some towels for them.

• Advertisement

deswalsh wrote: »
    So in fact there is no truth to the story at all.

Please read my first post. I heard the story and came on here to see if anybody else had heard it because this site is often a clearing house for rumour, I was a little sceptical and admitted as much.

Please don't jump to conclusions that a post is motivated by bigotry because Islam is mentioned.

Please do not assume a story is untrue because you are personally incredulous about its verity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think this thread has run its course. I'm willing to open it again but only if there are developments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement