Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A surcharge for not paying by direct debit

Options
  • 22-12-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before (which it surely has, but I've searched and not found it).

As per the thread title, I was paying a bill by direct debit until recently when the company decided to start taking amounts for things they shouldn't have. I'm awaiting a refund on those.

Since they can't be trusted with access to my bank account (it's bizarre that I'm thinking of it in those terms only now), I've cancelled the direct debit.

Now they've imposed a surcharge for paying over the internet from my bank account (or any method of payment other than direct debit). I recall some controversy with NTL over this some time ago.

Are they still entitled to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As I recall yes, as long as it is clearly stated and in line with the contract etc. The reason is they are offering you a product with a given set of options, depending on your choice you pay differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

They will say it is a discount for paying by dd, rather than a surcharge by not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Three (mobile operator) are infamous for doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Send them a bill for the wrongly charged amount. Charge them, say €5, per wrong direct debit. See what they say to that.

As mentioned though, they are perfectly allowed to charge for not paying by direct debit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jor el wrote: »
    Send them a bill for the wrongly charged amount. Charge them, say €5, per wrong direct debit. See what they say to that.

As mentioned though, they are perfectly allowed to charge for not paying by direct debit.
    Well if you really want to cause a cost for them you'd raise a complaint with your bank (DD not charged according to the rules have some hefty penalty fees to them, the company I work will rather not run the weekly DD (taking in around a million Euro) then break the rules).

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Well if you really want to cause a cost for them you'd raise a complaint with your bank (DD not charged according to the rules have some hefty penalty fees to them, the company I work will rather not run the weekly DD (taking in around a million Euro) then break the rules).

I don't believe any company has ever been penalised for breech of the direct debit rules. Certainly none have ever had the privilege removed. The IPSO are a joke, they don't care about the rules (that they set down) nor do most of the banks. Companies abuse direct debits on a daily basis, with impunity. Even Conor Pope's Primetime program last week could do/did do nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

How much is the surcharge for paying with creditcard? Don't have an irish bank account so its either creditcard or cash.

Anyone knows how much the surcharge is? I wanted to sign up for broadband but haven't done so yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

carbsy wrote: »
    Three (mobile operator) are infamous for doing this.

I can well believe that.
    rh555 wrote: »
    How much is the surcharge for paying with creditcard? Don't have an irish bank account so its either creditcard or cash.

Anyone knows how much the surcharge is? I wanted to sign up for broadband but haven't done so yet.

Surcharge in this instance is €4.50 per bill - although I'd imagine this varies a little amongst the companies that impose the fee.

If I could go back in time, I would never have bothered with 3 broadband (if that's who you're considering). This issue arises from the fact that their product doesn't actually appear to work....leading to a return of the modem and a request for a full refund.....and that's where it gets tricky.

Either way, it appears that the surcharge is legal at least. Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I don't believe any company has ever been penalised for breech of the direct debit rules. Certainly none have ever had the privilege removed..

Yes they have.. plenty of times.

• Advertisement

Any proof of that? The director of the IPSO stated on Primetime that no company has ever had their direct debit privileges removed.

Any proof of that? The director of the IPSO stated on Primetime that no company has ever had their direct debit privileges removed.

No proof. I wasn't referring specifically to Ireland.

Then you post is irrelevant. There's no proof, because it's never happened, and it's one of the major problems with Direct Debits. The companies and banks take no responsibility for what's done with your money.

Then you post is irrelevant.

Hmm. I disagree. I worked in major bank for 8+ years, and worked for major user of direct debits for even longer than that.

When I said "no proof" I didn't mean I have no proof, I meant I have no proof that I was willing to share on boards.ie !!

I could list insurance brokers, phone content providers (and one or two bulk selling telco's), and a few other companies that had DD privileges revoked in the UK.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Hmm. I disagree. I worked in major bank for 8+ years, and worked for major user of direct debits for even longer than that.
    I think you're misunderstanding, Jor El's talking about the fact no one in IRELAND has lost their right to do DD/got punished due to weak enforcement of the rules.

3DataModem wrote: »
    in the UK.

Which is irrelevant, as the IPSO has nothing to do with the UK direct debit system.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

No clue if this works everywhere but:

Had a dispute with comapny A at 1 point.
    Cancelled DD till i was satisfied with the solution they offered me.
    Now i just pay the bill i get (that still mentions: this amount will be takes on this date) on the date the DD is due.

No extra charge and i am in control of my own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

inforfun wrote: »
    No clue if this works everywhere but:

Had a dispute with comapny A at 1 point.
    Cancelled DD till i was satisfied with the solution they offered me.
    Now i just pay the bill i get (that still mentions: this amount will be takes on this date) on the date the DD is due.

No extra charge and i am in control of my own money.
    in Ireland, any company using the paperless DD system (such as BT Ireland) can re-instate a cancelled DD without your permission or knowledge any time they like.

They did this to me 3 times in a row and when i complained to my bank they told me there was nothing they could do to stop them. if your bank can't stop them from abusng the system then who can?

Advertisement